Search
Like Tree10Likes

TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 03:26 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PegLeg
Thanks, Casper. I appreciate the reply. I was going to add the 3s vertical spacers and cut a dense foam padding. I also noticed the battery brackets (attached to the TLR chassis) was for a 0.5" shorter battery. Not sure if there is a spacer available, but I guess I could make my own. Does Losi/TLR make one? The brackets allow for a 150mm battery and the battery is 138mm.
Hum-- I am not sure what you are talking about here. The battery tray mounts should fit a std size battery. The front and rear mounts should be moved together to move the battery forward or back my moving the screws to the corresponding holes together. This is not an optional mount for this car.

Picture?
Old 12-08-2015, 05:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
The shape was not updated. The material was corrected to the proper alum for a part like this. It does look weak but i can tell you after the first batch with the improper material this is a very strong part.
So like the diff gears (revised with with no new part number) except worse because the shape hasn't changed, so how can you tell if you are getting new product, or an old pair the someplace had laying around because they weren't diligent about rotating stock?
Old 12-08-2015, 07:13 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by ta_man
So like the diff gears (revised with with no new part number) except worse because the shape hasn't changed, so how can you tell if you are getting new product, or an old pair the someplace had laying around because they weren't diligent about rotating stock?
I am not sure if they put a rev on the header card. There was only one set of the old material which was not many and a long time ago. I doubt there is old stock out there.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man
I feel the same way about all of the updated 2.0 parts. I'm seeking perfection so this is a real issue for guys like me. After a few months I decided to accept it as part of owning this truck. Like every car or truck made today, there is something wrong with all of them. Maybe its a bunch of minor things, a major issue or crappy support. They all could be better in some way. If the truck was not so great out of the box I would have moved on. However, I have yet to see anything that can replace it. It's my favorite RC rig and has been for a few years now. More polish on details and the header cards would be much appreciated that's for sure.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:45 PM
Tech Prophet

I rarely make these types of statements but Ryan has busted his butt on "polishing" this truck since it came out. Is it perfect, no but it is one heck of a truck. Strong as nails and handles like a dream. The major issues have all been fixed over the years and considering where this thing started this truck is amazing. Sure there are still a few upgrades to the kit like 22 shocks and new dogbone center drive shafts. There was an issue with original shipment of a hop up part but it seems like everyone on here is always look at things to pick on. Maybe that is a result when things work so well everyone tries to find fault. I am all for constructive criticism but picking on an issue that was resolved a year ago and making a big fuss and trashing a company over it and there representatives that go out of thier way to support the product here and help you find ways to get customer support better and do all they can to help out the end user seems wrong to me. You guys are pissing over hypothetical issues on this part at this time. The original parts we ran and they will bend fairly easily. The updated ones with the correct material have lasted the test of time. If you have a bent set of caster blocks I think you have a good case with Customer service.

Last edited by Casper; 12-10-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Well said. Your comments show that you care. I truly appreciate all the work that has been done. Happy to see continued improvements for the 2.0 keep trickling down as well.

Great support from you guys on this forum makes a big difference. I have not seen that effort from other companies and I feel sure others appreciate it as well. The amount of information shared here is amazing and useful.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:31 AM
Tech Regular

Talking

Lack of revision information is pretty lame. I can speculate why some manufactures don't do it - $$, lack of resources to implement it, limitation of the ERP system, etc.

It's OK.

Still have love for TLR, repping 510
Still gon' get mine regardless
Old 12-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Tech Prophet

The issues with part control is you can't really do configuration changes. You have to pull new part numbers. If it is caught early I see Rev letters on the back of a header card but they do just burn off old stock. The stuff will float out there. With a relatively high dollar part like this stores typically did not carry large stock on them and the initial ones would have gone quickly to the guys that buy that kind of stuff. I would be surprised if there are many old ones out there but always possible.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I rarely make these types of statements but....
"Your statement" makes it obvious your passionate about what you are doing and that might offend some, but I like it. Feels real to me.
As you stated about people picking on things, I believe your right about the truck being the best in it's class on big dog win slips and with you losi driver behind them. But with that being said I also wouldn't be a bit surprised if Dakota or Ryan or yourself couldn't take a Tekno and dominate all the same with it.

Mentioning the 410 series, I believe some of the criticism is more generated in fear of other said truck ranking hi on the not so pro level and even more so on the typical less kept outdoor tracks that make up the majority of the surfaces most people run on across the planet. Not speaking of the high dollar clay or blue groove tracks you guys get all your victories from.
I believe this is where your going to most likely get a lot of feedback from the "nit picking crew", including why I was previously so adamant about possible benefit of a larger shock bore potential and not worrying so much about the un-sprung weight, which could very well hold beneficial in these circumstances.
The prowess of the SCTE 2.0 used to be hugely noticed over the comp before the Tekno lines started becoming more prevalent. Now that the gap is considerably closer in comp with the 410's I think people are starting to crave that old feeling of the larger superiority gap the SCTE once gave them and are a bit apprehensive and more judgmental in hopes of seeing that comfort level realized once again from a desired 3.0 release.
Owning both chassis sets I gotta tell ya, it's hard not to compare the more obvious in differences of these trucks at this point.
Around my neck of the woods with the lower quality tracks in mind, the duality of these chassis's is likened to that of the famed story regarding the 69 Ford GT with the tekno being more like a Chevy vette.
The chevy (Teknos) are much easier to maintain and reliable right out the box, needing very little in comparison to hold their ground. But when in the right hands and provoked, no one will stop the Ford (Losi) team from mowing down the comp just as the 69 GT did to Le Mans.
You Losi guys are the $#%! at what you do no doubt. But you are also full sponsored pro's working for one of the largest money distribution chains out there and have full access to all the parts and technologies you want, going through your stuff in ways not possible or affordable for average Joe. That's a gift for you all, but can be a burden for the majority and it sometimes reflects in the way certain things where engineered in my opinion. That doesn't necessarily make your choices wrong, cause a W is a W in the end, but in my personal theory, I believe this is likely why the 2.0 thread sees the type of criticisms in the ways presented more so than most others I have frequented.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

Side note> I almost forgot...
Now that you guys have shifted your opinions on the relevance of the front center drive bone angle with the release statements made on the 4.0 buggy, is there any hope of a future center diff mount or chassis pan revisement to further improve the angle?
If you guys are akin to stay with the pan layout similar to what you already have going on, it might behoove your engineers to consider machining the diff pinion's gear mesh angle to position the input shafts directly inline with the center diff position. Would require a reworking "preferably an improved quick access" diff housing of course, but why not...
Would be also interesting to see a herringbone mesh presented on your designs in the future. That would eliminate any need for having to shim things since they auto center and completely relinquish lateral thrust, thus eliminating part and bearing wear significantly. To cut manufacturing cost, you could simply utilize two opposing half width "thin standard helical cuts" into one gear head holding them tight with the out drive seated against it and pressurized by a through pin instead of the standard pinion screws you use now.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:24 PM
Tech Prophet

The "other" truck has gotten much better no doubt. It is a capable machine and can win. It does it all the time, and I have lost to better drivers with that truck regularly. I never brought up the competition other then I still believe the SCTE is still the best truck out there and still improving. My point was it had lots of "growing" to do when it was first released many years ago and it has been refined quite a bit into an amazing machine. Ryan has worked hard to address all the short comings of the original kit with upgrades throughout the product life to this point. Issues like first batch upgrade alum caster blocks have been resolved well over a year ago and was limited to a small order. Seem like they are topics that don't add much to the table. It was talked about and fixed over a year ago and not relevant IMO. If for some reason you got a set Horizon has one of the best customer service dept in the industry to help you out.

Yes many of us in So Cal are fortunate to race on world class tracks and pristine surfaces for large races much of the time. That really was never part of my argument either. Winning all the major races in the hands of Dakotah Phend over the last few years and many other great drivers before him was not my point either. I am sure given the other truck they would dominate still. You may never believe me but I do very little maintenance with my truck which is one of my loves for the truck It just keeps running. I am very fortunate to be able to test new parts and get access to many of the hopups you guys get to enjoy now early but other than that I do very little to this truck as I don't have to. I do not replace many parts I nothing really wears out other then an occasional front drive shaft. It just keeps working and doing a good job of that as well.

I am glad Tekno is in the game. Keeps the class relevant when there is a valid option to race in the class. I feel that is always important when racing otherwise the class dies out. I welcome Tekno to the table and hope they keep pushing the class forward as Pro-4 is one if not my favorite class. With any comparison some will like Chevy and others will like Ford. My argument wasn't about that either. It was about bickering about already resolved issues I guess and picking on the people behind the constant improvement of the vehicles. They really do have a passion for making the best product possible within the limitations they sometimes have but really do care that the end user is happy with the product. It is not always about making money to them as much as it is the people that get the product feel they get enjoyment out of it. The corporation is about making money though so that is always there but knowing many of these product developers and engineers personally many really do have a passion for this stuff and care you guys have fun and can win.

The SCTE is not done being refined and updated, there is more to come. No clue when a 3.0 might happen but know the platform evolution is not done and will remain relevant for years to come (see the dog bone center drive shafts and 22 style shock upgrades as case in point). Like all of TLR's product line this truck will continue to evolve to maintain it's place at the top of the heap.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am glad Tekno is in the game. Keeps the class relevant when there is a valid option to race in the class. I feel that is always important when racing otherwise the class dies out.

The SCTE is not done being refined and updated, there is more to come. No clue when a 3.0 might happen but know the platform evolution is not done and will remain relevant for years to come (see the dog bone center drive shafts and 22 style shock upgrades as case in point). Like all of TLR's product line this truck will continue to evolve to maintain it's place at the top of the heap.
Agree on all counts. The SCTE platform, in my opinion, is the best. And that said, the best thing that could happen to the Pro4 class would be AE releasing a capable 4x of their own.

Thanks for your customer focused perspective and efforts.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Tech Addict

The "other" truck has gotten much better no doubt. It is a capable machine and can win. It does it all the time, and I have lost to better drivers with that truck regularly. I never brought up the competition other then I still believe the SCTE is still the best truck out there and still improving....(continued)
Appreciate your views and thoughtful response.
I understood your points weren't all in line with the things I commented on, but I can only relate or comment to the things I take away from my personal experience and opinions on this side of the map.
Having said this, it must be awesome to race in CA and have the affiliation with Losi as you do.
I admit to being somewhat surprised by hearing you don't rebuild your truck more regularly knowing how far many pros go for the smallest gains of edge. But I believe you none the less because I do know this truck is a tank from personal experience.
Keeps on rolling when others break from similar incidents in to many occasions to be mere coincidence.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:23 PM
Tech Adept

Default Gen 1 roller SCTE revival.

I have an older SCTE roller that I was racing a couple years ago. I recently pulled it back off the shelf and am going through it so I can start racing again. One of the things I need to replace if the steering and camber links. Any suggestions for link ends with no slop?
Old 12-16-2015, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

josh l...lotta good point there. SCTE is awesome,but the 410.3 is way more durable with the wear parts. and needs far less mods to stay that way. the 3.0 will deff have less or no angle to shafts as well as the other things you mentioned. they would be crazy not to. I stil run both tekno and losi in SC,but the losi takes way more to keep it working well long term.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.