Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
Yes!

And the prize goes to Joey - it was the front 35T bevel and ring gear that chipped, not the rear like i was so certain it had to have been.

thanks Xb4'ers!
Yep red loctite there for me hahaha. Generally never get to use it but I chewed through two gears. They were usable but noisy so had to go. The front always gets it worse though never chipped a rear.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
Yes!

And the prize goes to Joey - it was the front 35T bevel and ring gear that chipped, not the rear like i was so certain it had to have been.

thanks Xb4'ers!
HOORAY!!! (what did I win??lol)

I've replaced my fair share of those darn things and it all came down to not adjusting my slipper properly. On my 2wd it just went out on me the other day but on carpet I run my slipper tight (price to pay for going fast)

glad to help
Old 05-15-2014, 11:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

XB4's in their current state are crap. I find it very sus that they make a car that breaks NOTHING except two parts, and they made very easy to replace the two parts, its been years and they haven't fixed the two parts. I doubt the aluminum parts will ever be released, XRAY will probably go under if they do.

XRay Sales sheet:
Cars
Car sales 10%
Parts
Bevel drive gear 45%
Crown Gear differential 45%
Other parts 0%

Its pretty stupid to produce such a strong car with such a clear problem. XB4 is for stock drivers that go slow, or drivers with awesome skills. Most of us don't have awesome skills and no one goes into 4WD buggy to drive conservatively.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Proky
XB4's in their current state are crap. I find it very sus that they make a car that breaks NOTHING except two parts, and they made very easy to replace the two parts, its been years and they haven't fixed the two parts. I doubt the aluminum parts will ever be released, XRAY will probably go under if they do.

XRay Sales sheet:
Cars
Car sales 10%
Parts
Bevel drive gear 45%
Other parts 0%

Its pretty stupid to produce such a strong car with such a clear problem. XB4 is for stock drivers that go slow, or drivers with awesome skills. Most of us don't have awesome skills and no one goes into 4WD buggy to drive conservatively.

5.5t motor, high grip astroturf/carpet and no failures here. Set your slipper properly and avoid landing on full throttle (doing this to any car will result in failure).

The stock ring gear in the 410 is less durable than the plastic one in the xray. I also snapped multiple rear driveshafts and centre shafts on the 410. For me the drivetrain is not only efficient, it is also very durable.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

XRay Sales sheet:
Cars
Car sales 10%
Parts
Bevel drive gear 45%
Other parts 0%

+1. Been running mine for months with a 5.5 and 6.5 motor on some pretty high bite tracks and no issues. Slipper setting is fairly tight too. Car will wheely slightly on high bite. But I did shim the diffs recently to take out a little slop that wasn't there when I built the car.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

XRay Sales sheet:
Cars
Car sales 10%
Parts
Bevel drive gear 45%
Other parts 0%

I've yet to, and neither has anyone else at my track, ruined any gear on a 2014 XB4s.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

XRay Sales sheet:
Cars
Car sales 10%
Parts
Bevel drive gear 45%
Other parts 0%

I destroyed lots of bevels and crown gears but then I learned to adjust my slipper when I travel to other tracks and I havent killed any of them in months... except recently on my 2wd but that was my fault... AKA SLIPPER TOO TIGHT
Old 05-16-2014, 09:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

XRay Sales sheet:
Cars
Car sales 10%
Parts
Bevel drive gear 45%
Other parts 0%

^^^ troll alert!!!!

But, seriously, with the slipper and brakes set correctly the gears last for MONTHS! I have a high bite indoor clay track and the gears hold up even with slicks on! In a year with two cars I've broken two ball cups, one rear hub, one front bulkhead, one set of gears, and one rear axle. That is with a 5.5, 8.5, and 13.5 motors. Every break was entirely my fault and had nothing to do with the car. This is by far the most durable wheeler I have ever seen.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I've only had one crown gear issue in the 1 year I've owned this car. Was leading late in the main and tubed it. Marshal wasn't getting there fast enough so I tried to climb over the tube. The car was just spinning its wheels in place against the tube and I kept pinning it in desperation . After I got marshaled on the next few laps I could hear some grinding while braking. The car accelerated fine, but the braking was loud. Got home and tore in to it and found that I had rounded 3 or 4 of the teeth on the crown gear. The teeth weren't chipped, but rounded as if smashed between some pliers. So that crown gear issue was completely my fault . . . and partially that marshals
Old 05-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Just to make it clear, my bevel gear issues were actually user error. The screw was not cleaned of older blue loctite with brake cleaner and I just did not tighten it enough so it worked loose. I will always prefer the plastic gears for a car this size until I start running 4 pole motors . Does not make sense to put heavy metal where its not needed.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

On one of Tyler's setup sheets he has put down that he is using the AKA Evo wheels.

Does anyone know what hubs and wheels he is using?
Old 05-16-2014, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

To be honest - the reasonfor my breakage was my own fault for driving like a donkey. I'm not sure when it happened but we have a med-high bite clay track, outdoor (but has full circus tent coverage!) and a jump called the widow maker. This thing makes me cartwheel when I muff it up. There's also a donkey kick at the end of a 90* sweeper past the straight, so plenty of opportunity to mess things up. I run my slipper at 5.8mm. The thing is a tank, and is plush, I love the thing.

I have purchased metal NT1 internal gears and hardened pins, and ya, I'll probably buy the "soon to be released" ring & pinion gear once they are out.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by suzukipro
I'm running the 1258 tg in my XB4 and have no issues at all, kinda impressed with it actually. I'm running the Tekin RSX ESC and only running 6.0v to the servo as the optonal 7.4v seemed like overkill. Stick with what you have and spend the money on something else, you'll be glad you did.
Awesome thanks for that much appreciated
Old 05-17-2014, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm in the process of putting my new XB4 kit together and I got 3 of the small spacers for the front steering blocks and one of the big ones, instead of 2&2. I bought my kit from A-main, what is my best bet for getting the correct ones sent to me? Call A-main or is there somewhere else that handles those type of issues?
Old 05-17-2014, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 155 (99%+)

I need some help. Last night during my main my car started making an awful racket. Needless to say after a lot of reading in here I thought I was loosing a gear. I kept on pushing on and finished 2nd in the main. Afterwards I took the body off and started snooping around. It is actually my spur gear, and not because of gear mesh. I have a TON of back and forth/side to side play in my slipper setup. What in the world is going on here? Any ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.