Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by zipperfoot
Thanks for the info. I found several of those types of charts along with spring value comparison charts for various brands. But you know how it is. Some talk about shock oil like it's fine wine and prefer one brand of weight over the other. Heck some even claim one 30 Wt oil from brand A is different or better than the 30 Wt oil from brand B. I wanted to make sure there was no real benefit to keeping with the Cst evaluation over the Wt measure.
That will be because CSt is a proper unit of measurement and Wt is just a made up non-linear scale.
Also a lot of time where Wt and CSt are quoted on the bottle the CSt values are quoted incorrectly (I have access to the necessary equipment to measure this properly), AE being the prime example of this.

There is no substitute for using CSt oils if you want linear step sizes from grade to grade, I wish AE would drop the Wt and go to (genuine) CSt numbers.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

RogerM makes a good point. In reviewing the chart I posted, two things are important to keep in mind:
1. Some brands of oils have noticeably non-linear steeps, which is likely driven in part by...
2. These are likely tested from small batches or even single samples
Old 11-04-2019, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Started the build. The quality of parts is impressive. Still having to twist parts off of trees is a bit disappointing. Had to spend extra time making sure to deburr the edges of the shock pistons after twisting them off the parts tree. Coming fresh from a Losi build where everything is neatly organized in bags and everything is clean and free from burrs was the biggest difference so far. Other than that I am excited to get this thing on the track.

Next issue is setup. I will be driving at HobbyAction in Arizona which is a dirt track with medium to high bite. Most of the setups I have found are consistent when it comes to astroturf or carpet, but setups are all over the place when it comes to dirt. Diff oil varies greatly. The shock pistons and springs used seem to be consistent with the kit, but the oil used and the use of limiters varies a great deal, as well as shock placement. Hinge pin placement and roll center also varies greatly with the available dirt setups.

Anyone driving a 2019 XB4 in the states on dirt who could recommend a basic setup to follow? Also are there any work arounds for shock oil and springs? The Cst rated oils are not half as common as the Wt system used here. As far as springs are concerned, are there any AE or Yokomo etc. springs that will work or are preferred? I already read that AE sway bars can be used.

I will try to keep it all xRay if I can, but since I am going to need to experiment with diff oil, shock fluid, and springs, I would prefer to be able to use something off the shelf at my local shop as compared to ordering the entire range of springs and oil from xRay just to find the right combination.

I really don't mind driving a buggy with no support at my local track. Did it with Durango for a period of time. It was all part of the fun.

Thanks in advance for any help.
If you are running at Hobby Action i would suggest speaking with Tommy or Tanner when they are there and ask them for setup advice. Both of them are very nice people and as fast as they get.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

AMEN BROTHER! Even cst ratings are different between oils but it is closer than comparing weights.
if you can stick with one oil do so but you will always need an oil that you don't have then you will have to figure out the conversion.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Last edited by zipperfoot; 02-11-2020 at 03:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:51 AM
Tech Elite

Xray announced that new XB4 2020 would be available from 6 november 2019. A lot of shops have it online now, but it's still a guess what's changed. Nobody has real pictures or actual info with their products. Even the Xray site isn't updated with the new car.
How are we supposed to order a new car without seeing what's different/new? :/
aspiringracer likes this.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Dealers took pre-orders which started shipping on Nov 6th for both the 2020 XB2 and XB4. The web site is supposed to be updated any moment. Needless to say, most trust it will be better or feel they always need the latest and greatest even without details...
zipperfoot and rippen like this.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Anthony.L
Dealers took pre-orders which started shipping on Nov 6th for both the 2020 XB2 and XB4. The web site is supposed to be updated any moment. Needless to say, most trust it will be better or feel they always need the latest and greatest even without details...
The website is still showing the 2019 car. I'm sure it's always the latest and greatest, but I'm not buying anything before I know what I'm buying.
Al this marketing hype from Xray, but then they fail to show us the actual product before you can order the car.

I guess the preorders are sold out by now, so it will be probably Christmas before I can get one. I only race 1/10 during the winter and I don't want to switch cars halfway the season, so I'll skip the 2020 car...
Old 11-09-2019, 07:48 AM
Tech Regular

Why is Xray not promoting the new XB4? It's really strange.
zipperfoot likes this.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FloridaST
Why is Xray not promoting the new XB4? It's really strange.
They are to busy making marketing videos of the T4 and XB2 to get everyone hyped
Old 11-09-2019, 03:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by morgoth

They are to busy making marketing videos of the T4 and XB2 to get everyone hyped
True they probably sell way more of those but still, you think you'd get some promotional pictures at least.
zipperfoot likes this.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Last edited by zipperfoot; 02-11-2020 at 03:09 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:35 PM
Tech Regular

I don't get it. Xray is shipping their new 2020 models and they don't even have any pictures or specs listed on their site? I don't know what it is about the RC industry and marketing. I obviously know nothing about it but I do work in management in a corporate setting. To me there seems to be some sort of disconnect between product development, manufacturing, sales, and promotion. I've seen this with other RC companies as well.
I'm also in management in a manufacturing facility and a lot of these RC businesses are more than likely severely mismanaged whether they're in Central Europe or the West Coast.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FloridaST
I'm also in management in a manufacturing facility and a lot of these RC businesses are more than likely severely mismanaged whether they're in Central Europe or the West Coast.
I think that more specifically, you're dealing with a relatively small company with a diverse product portfolio and is juggling the releases of several products all at once.

'Severely mismanaged' is a rather harsh statement without having all of the facts/information on what the current situation is.

As far as some of the other comments are concerned, Xray has been setting the bar for many years now with regards to providing information to the RC consumer base...my suspicion is that they were spread thin with the new releases on several new platforms while both competing in and hosting several major races including the recent World Championships...

In order to divert resources to prepare the presentations we have grown used to, it would likely have required delaying product releases...keeping the physical product out of consumers' hands...
Old 11-10-2019, 09:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisP
I think that more specifically, you're dealing with a relatively small company with a diverse product portfolio and is juggling the releases of several products all at once.

'Severely mismanaged' is a rather harsh statement without having all of the facts/information on what the current situation is.

As far as some of the other comments are concerned, Xray has been setting the bar for many years now with regards to providing information to the RC consumer base...my suspicion is that they were spread thin with the new releases on several new platforms while both competing in and hosting several major races including the recent World Championships...

In order to divert resources to prepare the presentations we have grown used to, it would likely have required delaying product releases...keeping the physical product out of consumers' hands...
Well to me, having a consumer product already in distribution without even a shred of marketing is a bit dysfunctional, especially for a company with Xray/Hudy's resources. Just seems out of character for them. I deal with a lot of suppliers so I'm grumpy, most of them seem severely mismanaged to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.