R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree62Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2016, 01:15 PM   #10801
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 780
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

for ya'll that run XRAY, im looking to get a 4wd buggy potentially. does XRAY always come out with new cars every year? whats it like getting parts for the older model? im afraid to buy XRAY for that reason. i prefer a 2-3 year upgrade plan. i know i dont have to but when the new model comes out it puts pressure on you to upgrade and i personally dont enjoy my current model knowing theres the latest greatest etc...plus i like a couple years to really dial a car in.

considering this, schu k2, yz-4, or the 22-4 2.0 when it comes out.
__________________
| XRAY XB8E 16' | XRAY XB4 16' | XRAY XB2 CE 17' |
| New England | RCE | RCM |
lyons238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:36 PM   #10802
Tech Elite
 
rcgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons238 View Post
for ya'll that run XRAY, im looking to get a 4wd buggy potentially. does XRAY always come out with new cars every year? whats it like getting parts for the older model? im afraid to buy XRAY for that reason. i prefer a 2-3 year upgrade plan. i know i dont have to but when the new model comes out it puts pressure on you to upgrade and i personally dont enjoy my current model knowing theres the latest greatest etc...plus i like a couple years to really dial a car in.

considering this, schu k2, yz-4, or the 22-4 2.0 when it comes out.
Yes xray releases a new car every year around December. If you have to have the latest and don't want to upgrade every year then you probably won't be happy. That being said, there's no problems getting parts for the older xb4. Xray also does a great job of upgrading the durability AND performance of the car every year. Not just change for the sake of change like some manufacturers.
__________________
Dialed RC Hobbies
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #10803
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgod View Post
Yes xray releases a new car every year around December. If you have to have the latest and don't want to upgrade every year then you probably won't be happy. That being said, there's no problems getting parts for the older xb4. Xray also does a great job of upgrading the durability AND performance of the car every year. Not just change for the sake of change like some manufacturers.
+1 I agree with RCGod. Performance and durability as improves, thus on a platform that's already great.

A lot of nice wheelers however if you want performance, durability, parts availibity and a very easy wheeler to work on you won't be disappointed with owning an XB4.
Norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #10804
Tech Addict
 
blarks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Beyond the outer rim
Posts: 617
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcelroy42 View Post
It looks like you have too much camber or droop (not any down travel shims inside shocks) or a combination of both. Mine is built with the kit setup and looks like there is enough room to swap the steering bushings around.
Hey jmcelroy42, thanks for the upload, yes you got quite good clearance there, I will have to check camber, timannnn6 also mentioned this and I misinterpreted ( brain fade) what he said. You both may be right after having another look at my pic. I hadn't even got to the setup board yet so I wasn't even thinking about those things, I had also bought the car 2nd hand ( then rebuilt it ) so I assumed that he would have had that set correct, or at least close. Thanks again guys, could have a fix here, fingers crossed.
__________________
I like rc cars big whoop wanna fight about it.
blarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:24 PM   #10805
Tech Master
 
BentKa's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,359
Default

Remember that you can always check stock of parts and kits directly at the Xray factory in Slovakia.
This way you can keep an eye on release dates as well as expected shipping dates of new parts and kits and their ETA at your national distributor.
Remember that shipping time will vary greatly depending on where your national distributor is located, what shipping option they use as well as local customs times.
Use this link to enter the part or kit number you want to check:

https://stock.teamxray.com



Bent
__________________
Xray XB4 | Xray XB2 | Xray XT2 | Xray XB8 | Xray XB8E | Xray T4 | Xray X12
Factory Team driver for:
XRAY | ORCA | JConcepts | Futaba | FX-Engines | Hudy | G-Force | Maxima Fuel
Hiro Seiko | DubiDesign | Maugrafix | YeahRacing | rcMart | LapMonitor | IB Prostart
Follow Malin on Facebook for race reports and setup tips
BentKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:44 PM   #10806
Tech Regular
 
likea45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 439
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

So my 16 car has an interesting quirk. The shaft in the rear that connects to the pinion gear has a bit of play front to back. I recently replaced the diff case, pinion and dif gear as I was having an issue with them roaching out. I shimmed the pinion gear to make the mesh tighter but once the case is on its to tight for free movement. Backed some shims off and got movement but now the play is back. I'm concerned it's now too loose and will once again chew up a gear. Can I run this without shimming it? How come the manual says nothing about this?

This is my 3rd XB4 and I've never had an issue like this before the 16 car.
__________________
Current Rides: Kyosho ZX6 - Kyosho RB6 - Kyosho RT6 - Kyosho SC6.
likea45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:22 AM   #10807
Tech Master
 
jmcelroy42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,008
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by likea45 View Post
So my 16 car has an interesting quirk. The shaft in the rear that connects to the pinion gear has a bit of play front to back. I recently replaced the diff case, pinion and dif gear as I was having an issue with them roaching out. I shimmed the pinion gear to make the mesh tighter but once the case is on its to tight for free movement. Backed some shims off and got movement but now the play is back. I'm concerned it's now too loose and will once again chew up a gear. Can I run this without shimming it? How come the manual says nothing about this?

This is my 3rd XB4 and I've never had an issue like this before the 16 car.
Try shimming on the outside of the case to remove the play.
__________________
EB48.4 - TEKIN RX8 & SMC 2100
EB410 - TEKIN RSX & ORCA 5.5
RC10B6 - HW Justock & 24K 17.5
jmcelroy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:09 AM   #10808
Tech Initiate
 
Oh Qrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sweden
Posts: 21
Default

Came home with my first kit yesterday and now I just have to get the rest =) Looks like I'm going for Hobbywing combo 3.1/6.5T but transmitter...? Also interested of receiver with built in antenna, anyone with experience of this on outdoor track?

ttp://forumbilder.se/F9GL8/20160405-191959-1-1.jpg

It stands between MT-4S and EX-2, have dry tested MT-4 and it feels well balanced with solid button and knobs. Think neither about the grip = nothing special and my local dealer says it's the same as MT-4S.

The problem is that he dont have EX-2 in stock and I can't pre-test it... About every search I make the first thing that pop up is how nice the grip is on the EX-2.

I have euro size 10 hands, is the EX-2 amazing and better in some other way than the grip or is it the other way around?
__________________
Serpent S811-Be Cobra 2.3 (in progress)
XB4 2016 Specs
RB6 RDS
E-Revo 1:1 Brushless TQI TSM #56087-3
Align 450 Pro DFC
Oh Qrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:23 AM   #10809
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 780
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgod View Post
Yes xray releases a new car every year around December. If you have to have the latest and don't want to upgrade every year then you probably won't be happy. That being said, there's no problems getting parts for the older xb4. Xray also does a great job of upgrading the durability AND performance of the car every year. Not just change for the sake of change like some manufacturers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post
+1 I agree with RCGod. Performance and durability as improves, thus on a platform that's already great.

A lot of nice wheelers however if you want performance, durability, parts availibity and a very easy wheeler to work on you won't be disappointed with owning an XB4.
Hmm, so maybe I could keep it for two years and then upgrade. Would you guys recommend the XB4 over just getting another 22 3.0? I want one car for clay and one for carpet. time is limited so i was going to just get a second 22 3.0, but im considering a 4wd as well. any opinions?

how is the maintenance for the XB4?
__________________
| XRAY XB8E 16' | XRAY XB4 16' | XRAY XB2 CE 17' |
| New England | RCE | RCM |
lyons238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:41 AM   #10810
Tech Elite
 
rcgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons238 View Post
Hmm, so maybe I could keep it for two years and then upgrade. Would you guys recommend the XB4 over just getting another 22 3.0? I want one car for clay and one for carpet. time is limited so i was going to just get a second 22 3.0, but im considering a 4wd as well. any opinions?

how is the maintenance for the XB4?
Honestly I probably do maintenance less on my xb4 than any other car I have. The diffs and shocks don't leak. It's super durable. Yes parts cost is high, but when it doesn't break much then it's not a big deal. And the 2016 is super easy to work on since it doesn't have upper decks getting in the way. 4 screws and the diff is out.
__________________
Dialed RC Hobbies
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #10811
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 780
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgod View Post
Honestly I probably do maintenance less on my xb4 than any other car I have. The diffs and shocks don't leak. It's super durable. Yes parts cost is high, but when it doesn't break much then it's not a big deal. And the 2016 is super easy to work on since it doesn't have upper decks getting in the way. 4 screws and the diff is out.
im so torn because with a second 3.0 i have a clay car and a carpet car. i have TONS of spares and i know the cars well, so everything is super easy and efficient. time is very limited for me as i dont have much time for this hobby factoring all my obligations and my other hobbies.

on the other hand, it may be more fun to own a 4wd as well.

i really cant decide!
__________________
| XRAY XB8E 16' | XRAY XB4 16' | XRAY XB2 CE 17' |
| New England | RCE | RCM |
lyons238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #10812
Tech Regular
 
xyzracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: bakersfield
Posts: 374
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I would much rather run multiple classes than have 2 of the same cars for dedicated surfaces. Even if u race the 22 on both surfaces i am sure u could get the car at least competitive with minor adjustments as opposed to having a completely seperate car, at least for my skill level anyway...i would get the xb4 now and see if u really need another 22 down the road and if u have to have another one at least it gives u a little more time to save up
xyzracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:08 AM   #10813
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 780
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzracer View Post
I would much rather run multiple classes than have 2 of the same cars for dedicated surfaces. Even if u race the 22 on both surfaces i am sure u could get the car at least competitive with minor adjustments as opposed to having a completely seperate car, at least for my skill level anyway...i would get the xb4 now and see if u really need another 22 down the road and if u have to have another one at least it gives u a little more time to save up
the thing is with the design of the 3.0, its best suited for clay with the transmission being further back than the 2.0 mm. so you can run it on carpet but its not ideal. now they have the laydown trans i was going to have one very competitive clay and one carpet.

my impulsive mind says get the xb4. but my logical side says get another 3.0. save money, time, and ease of use with all the same spares etc.

also my limited time is a huge factor. i need to be able to do quick maintenance and have quick and easy changes and a lot of spares.
__________________
| XRAY XB8E 16' | XRAY XB4 16' | XRAY XB2 CE 17' |
| New England | RCE | RCM |
lyons238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #10814
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Greece
Posts: 72
Default

hello team!
I m having a problem since today..
Steering works, throttle stops working after 1land, then after i mess around the cables for a little it works again, but not always, then it stops responding to throttle.It seemed to be the sensor from the motor but now after touching the sensor cable it doesnt come back or anything.
What could it be?
I have a new Muchmore PRO and a Speed passion 6.5T and MT-4 with sanwa receiver.
The mT-4 is also new from the box with the receiver.
grifind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #10815
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Greece
Posts: 72
Default

Update: When the throttle stops responding, if i move the pinion gear with my finger 1-2 clicks, the throttle works. if i brake or stop the throttle, it stops respoding again.
grifind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EP buggies thread sim600 Malaysian R/C Racers 3586 03-31-2016 12:53 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:43 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net