Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blarks
ok back to square one, I had started to doubt my ability for a little while.

Yes this is correct and after checking I actually had them on the correct sides.

Unfortunately after swapping them around I found that they were actually fitted to the correct sides as caster was way off and didn't look correct, you can see in the pics.
So my original problem still exists (see pic) with steering blocks hitting the arms if I want to change roll centre with short bushings on the top.
Can anyone upload an image of their front end in this area so I can get a comparison? Also could it be that the ride height is just too high? Although that seems a bit strange that it would be limited like that.
Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like you've got like -20 degrees camber on your car. When you put the wheels/tires on and set on ground does it look right?
Old 04-02-2016, 08:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

ok back to square one, I had started to doubt my ability for a little while.

Yes this is correct and after checking I actually had them on the correct sides.

Unfortunately after swapping them around I found that they were actually fitted to the correct sides as caster was way off and didn't look correct, you can see in the pics.
So my original problem still exists (see pic) with steering blocks hitting the arms if I want to change roll centre with short bushings on the top.
Can anyone upload an image of their front end in this area so I can get a comparison? Also could it be that the ride height is just too high? Although that seems a bit strange that it would be limited like that.
Looks u have the inside out?
Old 04-02-2016, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Are you looking at the front of the car and thinking (L) or are you pretending your driving and thinking (L)
Old 04-02-2016, 10:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Xb4 gearing for 5.5 motor

I have an xb4 2016 edition with center diff. I currently have a fantom 5.5 motor in it with and rsx esc. I want to know what size pinion I should be running. I started with 18t pinion on the stock 81t spur. And after about 10 minutes of running the motor was in 150's and the esc in the 160's. I then ran a 20t pinion on the stock 81 spur thinking I was way to undergeared, and it ran a few degrees cooler. I haven't tried any other combo and am looking for any ideas or good info as I am still new to the hobby.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timannnn6
Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like you've got like -20 degrees camber on your car. When you put the wheels/tires on and set on ground does it look right?
If you are referring to how far back the steering block is, no I only had that turned that far to show how the arm would hit on steering, camber is fine, as far as the caster blocks they are the standard 9 degrees, it says 9 on them. If you see the attached pic of the manual and notice the hinge pin orientation with the short side to the back, this groove cut in the hinge pin matches up with the set screw in the caster block, I also have the r and l blocks on according to what the manual says is left and right, this caster looks normal, like on all of my other buggies, which is the second picture in my last post. With the other way around (the first pic) the caster looks abnormal. Also on google searching the turnbuckles point slightly rearward, when I had the caster blocks in the other way my turnbuckles were pointing slightly forward. The whole setup look wrong to me as soon as I had done it, so I reverted back to the way I originally had it.

If you look at the first pic in my last post this the way I had changed it to and to me this doesn't look correct, caster looks opposite of what it should be, it also goes against the manual with the short end of the hinge pin being to the front of the car. I believe how I originally had it is in fact the correct way.

Originally Posted by BDRMBULLY
Are you looking at the front of the car and thinking (L) or are you pretending your driving and thinking (L)
I am looking at the car from the back and going by how the manual refers to left and right, which is from the back, also in reference to the hinge pin direction according to the manual there is really only one way to put the caster blocks on. So it brings me back to the original problem. As it is now it should be ok, but the track I intend to run on is smooth and per the manual the short bushings should be on the top thus where the problem started. As I don't really know anyone else with an xb4 I will either need to find someone locally or ask here which is why I am here So I am a little about it. I am not new to rc and have several xray cars so to me it is a little strange.
Attached Thumbnails Xray XB4 thread-manual1.jpg  
Old 04-03-2016, 03:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wulfdomain@yaho
I have an xb4 2016 edition with center diff. I currently have a fantom 5.5 motor in it with and rsx esc. I want to know what size pinion I should be running. I started with 18t pinion on the stock 81t spur. And after about 10 minutes of running the motor was in 150's and the esc in the 160's. I then ran a 20t pinion on the stock 81 spur thinking I was way to undergeared, and it ran a few degrees cooler. I haven't tried any other combo and am looking for any ideas or good info as I am still new to the hobby.
Yeah, 18-20 seems about right. I usually double check with setup sheets on petitrc
Old 04-03-2016, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default xb4 16 clay setup

Hi someone has a clay setup for the xb4 medium bite traction.im new on the 1/10 world. Thanks in advance
Old 04-03-2016, 09:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Blarks, in the first pic u had them on the correct side, the caster was way off because u have them flipped around (inside out) so they were leaning forward instead of backwards (i think)

Last edited by xyzracer; 04-03-2016 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Sp
Old 04-03-2016, 04:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by xyzracer
Blarks, in the first pic u had them on the correct side, the caster was way off because u have them flipped around (inside out) so they were leaning forward instead of backwards (i think)
Hey xyzracer, ok I'm up for anything at this point, I didn't think they would fit being inside out but will certainly have another look this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion and will post the outcome as soon as I have tried.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wulfdomain@yaho
Basic rule for a 5.5t you would want an FDR around 11.0 or a tad lower when used in a 10th scale wheeler.

Divide spur gear 81 by pinion size = ? Multiply that by IGR which I believe is 2.5. This formula makes it easy to see where your at regarding gearing.

Try a 19 my friend.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by xyzracer
Ok so I had a look on the xray xb4 page and the images there are exactly the same as I have my caster blocks so I still think they are on the right way. But will still check again over the weekend anyway.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ok so I had a look on the xray xb4 page and the images there are exactly the same as I have my caster blocks so I still think they are on the right way. But will still check again over the weekend anyway.
It looks like you have too much camber or droop (not any down travel shims inside shocks) or a combination of both. Mine is built with the kit setup and looks like there is enough room to swap the steering bushings around.
Attached Thumbnails Xray XB4 thread-20160403_093049_resized.jpg  
Old 04-04-2016, 05:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

So 12 degree casters are only available in alum. that I can find. Does anyone know it the exotec 12 degree will fit a 16 model?? I'd rather pay 34$ a pair over $43 each.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hoyt1967
So 12 degree casters are only available in alum. that I can find. Does anyone know it the Exotek 12 degree will fit a 16 model?? I'd rather pay 34$ a pair over $43 each.
I was not aware that Exotek made 12 degree caster blocks, however if they do the will surely fit the 16. Their 9 degree blocks fit the 16 perfect. Try Spec R website as they do make 9 degree aluminum caster blocks and they may possibly be making 12 degree caster blocks now. I am not certain however its worth looking into as they make nice parts at very reasonable prices with very fast shipping. If your looking for more affordable ECS drive shafts Spec R does make fronts for the XB4 at under $50 for both.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

http://www.exotekracing.com/xb4-12-a...aster-hub-set/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.