Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

anyone got a good setup for a 2013 xb4, medium traction clay?

mines a little hard to drive, struggling for traction, feel like I need to tip toe it around, whereas my other 4wd's I can just nail them without over rotating
Old 03-15-2016, 11:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker
anyone got a good setup for a 2013 xb4, medium traction clay?

mines a little hard to drive, struggling for traction, feel like I need to tip toe it around, whereas my other 4wd's I can just nail them without over rotating
I had the same issue initially with my 14 XB4 trying every setup option I could think of to get any rear traction. What ended up working for me was to loosen my slipper beyond the range the manual called for and was amazed at how well it worked.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raddin
Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this site and I was hoping to be able to get some advice before I pull the trigger on a new electric buggy.

I originally wanted to get an 1/8th scale buggy, but I am now considering going with 1/10th scale simply because I think that might be able to reuse some electronics that are currently in a drift car. This ESC and motor didn't see much use at all so I would love to use them, but I'm not really familiar with the different types of ESC and motors out there. I would be very thankful if someone could give me an idea of how well this combo would perform in a XB4.

The ESC is a Speed Passion Reventon Pro 1.1 Brushless ESC (Laser Blue) and the Motor is a Yeah Racing Modified 540 Sensored Brushless Motor 13.5T 3000kv

The buggy will strictly be a basher for me and my son to play with. It will be used in grass mostly if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!
Hi Raddin,

Welcome to the forum. To answer the first question, yes those electronics will work for use in a xb4. They will probably be great if used in the correct environment like a track.

The second questions about using this car as a basher in grass probably won't work too well. If the grass is as short as a golf course, it will work. But realistically the xb4 will not do well at all in grass. There just isn't enough ground clearance.

In summary, there are many better options than a xb4 to use bashing in grass. The xb4 is more of a track specific race car and for bashing in grass, I would search out a vehicle with more ground clearance like a short course truck, or crawler, or even maybe 1/8 scale.

Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Freeski is correct in the XB4 is a high end racing wheeler. With that being said, if one wanted a 10th scale wheeler for bashing the XB4 is a great choice. It's tough easy to work on and you can set it up for bashing. Get a t bone front bumper and have fun.

Oh if you do get an XB4 for your son pick up a center gear diff, thus better for bashing in my opinion do to setting the diff oil weight lower thus to a point where your protecting the drive train more. Slipper is great but if to tight it's easy to blow drive pinions and crowns.

Last edited by Norse; 03-15-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

For those of you with the ECS shafts, I'm curious how often you are maintaining them (clean and grease). I just installed mine so I'm interested to see how well they wear compared to CVD's, more moving parts = more wear...
Old 03-16-2016, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by suzukipro
For those of you with the ECS shafts, I'm curious how often you are maintaining them (clean and grease). I just installed mine so I'm interested to see how well they wear compared to CVD's, more moving parts = more wear...
I clean my car pretty regularly after each race day. I usually take a toothbrush with my cleaning solution to them just to get the dust off, I'll shoot some grease into the slots if it needs it and check to make sure the threaded portions holding the pins aren't loose at all. Barring that I'll probably remove them in a few weeks and give them a complete rebuild when I do my shocks.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Fellas quick question, What are some of the 1st things you change when you have issues with traction rolling??? I'm running indoor with a misting system. We run slicks. The car wants more but if I go as hard as I can it will roll .......
Old 03-17-2016, 08:03 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 1evo RRR Driver
Fellas quick question, What are some of the 1st things you change when you have issues with traction rolling??? I'm running indoor with a misting system. We run slicks. The car wants more but if I go as hard as I can it will roll .......
I would try first lower ride height and then less droop. If the track is really high bite I'll change sway bars, springs and roll centers.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:43 AM
Tech Adept

Sway bars. Definitely sway bars. I'm not sure what you are using on the car currently, but I am up to 1.3 or 1.4 depending on traction.

I almost wish they made a 1.5 sway bar, but 1.4 seems to be getting the job done for now.

Adjusting other things like roll center/springs/etc always have a trade off, but changing sway bars was the most direct way for me to get the car to stop traction rolling and allow me to drive the car harder.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Freeski

I almost wish they made a 1.5 sway bar, but 1.4 seems to be getting the job done for now.
I'm pretty sure there are 1.5mm bars, I've got some 1.6 & 1.8s for mine.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by John Myall
I'm pretty sure there are 1.5mm bars, I've got some 1.6 & 1.8s for mine.
Unfortunately xray makes only a 1.6 and then 1.8, etc. I searched and never found a 1.5.

It looks like anything above the 1.4 goes in increments of .2.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

What do you need to make this car usually work good on clay?
Old 03-17-2016, 07:14 PM
Tech Rookie

hi all , just finished my build of a xb4 16' well sort of i am stuck on the servo mount , i purchased the floating mount and the mounting holes are to wide for my servo so i tried the kit servo mounts and it also to wide for my standard servo 40mm wide , seems the floating mount and the chassis holes would accommodate a servo 44mm wide but i can't find a servo that wide.
am i missing something ?
Old 03-17-2016, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by thelung
hi all , just finished my build of a xb4 16' well sort of i am stuck on the servo mount , i purchased the floating mount and the mounting holes are to wide for my servo so i tried the kit servo mounts and it also to wide for my standard servo 40mm wide , seems the floating mount and the chassis holes would accommodate a servo 44mm wide but i can't find a servo that wide.
am i missing something ?
I remember thinking this initially but the trick is to make sure the mounts that attach to the servo aren't right against the body of the servo. You can make sure the servo mounts stand off from the body of the servo before tightening the screws down by sticking a hobby knife against the servo to make sure it doesn't walk back in too far. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:11 PM
Tech Regular

Barring ride height and droop settings, I've switched my front tires to worn treads like an old set of front webs and it allowed the rear to stay more planted and the car not to roll.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.