Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

So far I have two weekends on my XB4 and I am really loving the car. I have had some really hard crashes and nothing has bent or broken. I did add some washers under the ballstuds on the towers to help spread the load out a bit and so far so good.

As for the rear diff gears. I did manage to round off a set this past weekend. I built the diff according to the instructions, and when I opened it to change the spider gears, there was hardly any oil in the diff. The case and diff housing were both dry on the outside so I know it was not leaking. Maybe the plastic absorbed some of the oil? Either way, a couple of the other drivers also pulled their diffs to check levels and they were low as well. I refilled the diff to the very top and didn't have any issues, and I plan to keep an eye on it from here on out.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:52 AM
Tech Addict

Sounds like a good idea re the towers and I have done that before on other kits.

Interesting re the diffs.

Wanting to know about option parts and pricing etc.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mikeyscott
Hi Richard

May well do that as I'm selling off a stack of kit.

Only just got replacement 451R back from warrantee after 3-4 months

Going by the looks of things
FS2
FS2 SP
DB1
Tekin RS Pro
Orion 6.5 WC
SP 8.5 V3
Sanwa 451 RX
Servos
Kyosho spares
And so on..

Omega seamaster too
Jesus, quite a collection, the DB1 as well?

Glens XB4 was looking real good yesterday as well, stable and fast.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:57 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Badger5
Jesus, quite a collection, the DB1 as well?

Glens XB4 was looking real good yesterday as well, stable and fast.
Yes got far too much kit and of course kit = money.

I'm not good enough so with a heavy heart DB1 going with a load of other kit. I have considered keeping DB1 and selling the RB6.

So I heard as was Ralls' XB4 that he is testing was good at EPR.

Prob is though Glenn, Nathan, Ellis, Lee, Hupo they all make a brick look good.

So I'm pricing up V3, XB4, but also pricing up just running 2WD for 2013.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If there is no oil leaking out the gasket, then it is going out the outdrives. Interesting..... This is leading me back to the shim behind the sun gears. The pressure of the sungear against the oring is what forms the seal. If there is too much play or room between the sun and planetary gears, two things can happen. 1) the oil leaks 2) the gears will strip. This is going back to the shimming of the sungears to improve mesh and keep them from stripping/leaking. Think very seriously about the .1mm shim in that rear diff.....I'm just sayin.....
Old 01-07-2013, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Nice shock towers Seth i remember George breaking his brace he made to fix his broken rear tower at the hangover race,and remember you guys talking about the aluminum towers. I'm still deciding whether or not i should get the this or the 22sct,being i drove the xb4 at newreds yesterday for a pack or so im seriously considering buying the 22sct later and picking up an xb4 and maybe getting some towers from you if possible if i have any issues with the stock ones.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ran it, Loved it, nothing broke.
Im very new to off road ( ran in the sportsman class) and I gave the car quite a beating. I missed jumps all night smashing front of car into the clay triple over and over and over again. It got to a point the marshalls were only watching my car. Everyone was very impressed with the car everywhere else on the track and all I kept hearing was " if you could only clear your jumps" so I guess Ill sum it up to "newbie offroad driver error". Brought along steel diffs from NT1 just in case and have shock towers on order but after 3 qualifiers and a main car held up well. By the way I TQ in the second heat and Won the sportman class, so the car is a winner in my book. I ll keep practicing and Ill buy a few front diffcases when they are available.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kman16jr
Nice shock towers Seth i remember George breaking his brace he made to fix his broken rear tower at the hangover race,and remember you guys talking about the aluminum towers. I'm still deciding whether or not i should get the this or the 22sct,being i drove the xb4 at newreds yesterday for a pack or so im seriously considering buying the 22sct later and picking up an xb4 and maybe getting some towers from you if possible if i have any issues with the stock ones.
The brace design was a quick fix & after I made adjustments it held up
I would highly recommend the Aluminum towers
I installed the front Aluminum this past weekend at spacecoast rc after a full day of practice for the Jconcepts Supercup
I finally busted the shock tower from the top side when I pancaked the triple it gave out so I was very lucky that seth had some protoype towers & after a full day of testing they held up very well & no issue's at all for the supercup
Qualified 12th overall & missed the bump into the final bad decision on tire selection for the 2nd rd & semi track got dusty & loose
layed the fastest lap in my main but with the track conditions very hard to not over drive the car to make up for lost time
All in all had a great day with the XB4 & congrats to seth bumping up to the final
Old 01-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sickpuppy1
If there is no oil leaking out the gasket, then it is going out the outdrives. Interesting..... This is leading me back to the shim behind the sun gears. The pressure of the sungear against the oring is what forms the seal. If there is too much play or room between the sun and planetary gears, two things can happen. 1) the oil leaks 2) the gears will strip. This is going back to the shimming of the sungears to improve mesh and keep them from stripping/leaking. Think very seriously about the .1mm shim in that rear diff.....I'm just sayin.....
Hmm I agree on principle, but if a new builder filled up oil AND shimmed it, only way to get oil out is to explode so I did not shim her up. Mine is holding fine still, I think the only solution is to see if the slipper can be moved by hand, mine started doing it at the 7mm mark so manual settings be damned I am keeping it at 7 until the springs weaker or the pads glazed. right now can clear jumps pretty well with that setting so I am happy with it there.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GMartinez
The brace design was a quick fix & after I made adjustments it held up
I would highly recommend the Aluminum towers
I installed the front Aluminum this past weekend at spacecoast rc after a full day of practice for the Jconcepts Supercup
I finally busted the shock tower from the top side when I pancaked the triple it gave out so I was very lucky that seth had some protoype towers & after a full day of testing they held up very well & no issue's at all for the supercup
Qualified 12th overall & missed the bump into the final bad decision on tire selection for the 2nd rd & semi track got dusty & loose
layed the fastest lap in my main but with the track conditions very hard to not over drive the car to make up for lost time
All in all had a great day with the XB4 & congrats to seth bumping up to the final
can you put pics of the brace?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mikeyscott
Sounds like a good idea re the towers and I have done that before on other kits.

Interesting re the diffs.

Wanting to know about option parts and pricing etc.

http://www.superiorhobbies.com/store...tric+4WD+Buggy they have 1 left in stock & after this weekend race debut it will go fast
as for option parts the car really does not need much
I would upgrade the diff gears & pins & have a set of MBS towers
X Ray wheels since they use a 14mm hex u can also use Deracing Borrego durango 4wd wheels and slighty rim out the axle a hair
Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Tech Champion

http://live.liverc.com/#/188-JConcepts_Super_Cup/
suprising how much 1 small mistake can hurt u but the track was at it's best in the earlier rds
Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by aloksatoor
can you put pics of the brace?
will try but it will be meaningless if it can be made to be more cost effective since graphite is way more expensive than aluminum
Old 01-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Have you thought about boiling the diff house and wing mounts, could be a nice way to soften them up a little to get some flex.

What were you guys doing for the tail stepping out in corners?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GMartinez
will try but it will be meaningless if it can be made to be more cost effective since graphite is way more expensive than aluminum
I have a bunch of scrap CF parts (mainly old car parts) which I am willing to cut up . I ordered the towers from seth, did not make sense to put thicker more stiff CF from team sr. 6061 should be bendy compared to cf....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.