Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by evolution03
He isn't in the minority everyone I know who owns a xb4 and have raced with I have seen them replace diff gears at a race. The buggy should have never came with composite gears in the first place. My gears haven't came apart because I put metals ones in before I started racing. There is a problem and it's composite gears inside a diff in an off road buggy.
Where did you get the metal gears at..new to the xb4..
Old 08-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis
Where did you get the metal gears at..new to the xb4..
I can't give you a part number because it's been a while since I bought them. They are nt1 diff gears I bought them at absolute hobbyz
Old 08-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I can't give you a part number because it's been a while since I bought them. They are nt1 diff gears I bought them at absolute hobbyz
They are talking about the ring and pinion, the gears which transmit power to the f/r diffs from the spur. The composite inner diff gears are ok (I have metal from nt1 but yet to replace the plastics). Been through 4 bevel gears (3 front 1 rear) and 2-3 diff cover gears.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nyegaard
Smug or not, you must also realize the very same thing - most people do not have these problems. Some do. The vast majority does not.

So where is the problem most likely to be?

The amount of abuse I've given my xb4s is insane and they hold up very, very well. With a properly set slipper I've yet to have any problems with the diffs and any related gears. I didn't even have to rebuild or change anything after 3 weeks of daily practicing of 5-6 hours before the norwegian nationals, nor have I had to change anything after said nationals.

I'm not saying you and others aren't experiencing problems, but you must realize you're in the minority here and thus try to figure out what's the cause.
definitely not the minority for this simple issue. its probably about 70% of xb4 users have/had this problem until they learn to adjust their slipper or do some shimming.

as I said before I had my fair share of blowing out the bevel gears until I read post #**** explaining I needed to readjust the slipper when using the car on different surfaces. It wasn't said exactly like that but you get what I am saying. Its simple maintenance and simple adjustments makes this car fly

PS~ I still have the original internal gears in the diff when the car came out and no issues
Old 08-13-2014, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The xray nt1 diff internals fit. 335030

I've never done any damage whatsoever to the internal composite gears. It took a year and a half before I had some signs of wear on the outer ring and pinion. I just replaced them before having any real issue.

If the slipper is set properly, the diffs last quite a long time. If you are breaking gears and probably wearing out outdrives quickly too, your slipper is too tight.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 3
He isn't in the minority everyone I know who owns a xb4 and have raced with I have seen them replace diff gears at a race. The buggy should have never came with composite gears in the first place. My gears haven't came apart because I put metals ones in before I started racing. There is a problem and it's composite gears inside a diff in an off road buggy.
It is in the minority unless you think there are only about 12 people running the XB4. There's Probably more like 12,000, I guess in the US it must feel like you are the only country in the world. At my local track there are 5-6 running the xb4, and we've not ever broke a diff. It's not even the composite gears inside the diff, check your info.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigInJapan
It is in the minority unless you think there are only about 12 people running the XB4. There's Probably more like 12,000, I guess in the US it must feel like you are the only country in the world. At my local track there are 5-6 running the xb4, and we've not ever broke a diff. It's not even the composite gears inside the diff, check your info.
What a lot of rubbish. If you run the XB4 on a rough track and you are not a great driver you will have issues with it. When I got the car I took it to the seller here, he said before I started that you will need spare drive pinions and the crown as our track just wears through them after a few races. He was 100% correct. The great drivers that never crash don't seem to have the same issue but guess what not everyone and certainly not me is a great driver. These diffs are for clean tracks, good drivers and 6.5+ motors.

My gripe is why make the rest of the car like a tank and leave these two parts crap? just seems weird. Optional stronger parts for those of us with less skill behind the controller should have been released at day 1.

Proky
Old 08-13-2014, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Proky
What a lot of rubbish. If you run the XB4 on a rough track and you are not a great driver you will have issues with it. When I got the car I took it to the seller here, he said before I started that you will need spare drive pinions and the crown as our track just wears through them after a few races. He was 100% correct. The great drivers that never crash don't seem to have the same issue but guess what not everyone and certainly not me is a great driver. These diffs are for clean tracks, good drivers and 6.5+ motors.

My gripe is why make the rest of the car like a tank and leave these two parts crap? just seems weird. Optional stronger parts for those of us with less skill behind the controller should have been released at day 1.

Proky
Generally novice driver dont just rush into a 4wd drive buggy with a 6.5. Maybe try a sct or an e-revo

Dude.. adjust your slipper and don't think this car is a full proof tank for beginners
Old 08-13-2014, 09:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joeymdz
Generally novice driver dont just rush into a 4wd drive buggy with a 6.5. Maybe try a sct or an e-revo

Dude.. adjust your slipper and don't think this car is a full proof tank for beginners
People go into 4wd buggy cos its fun. When I went through the 5-6 pinions it was at every slipper setting possible made no difference. Fix was related to in my view: (1) stronger batch, (2) better driving, (3) gutless motor.
(4)!!!! went to a D413 and just use xb4 as a spare car.

(4) was a great decision! xb4 is so hard to drive in comparison.

Thks
Proky
Old 08-13-2014, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

People go into 4wd buggy cos its fun. When I went through the 5-6 pinions it was at every slipper setting possible made no difference. Fix was related to in my view: (1) stronger batch, (2) better driving, (3) gutless motor.

Thks
Proky
Sounds like a personal issue from 1-3.. don't break your car or your screwed on limited parts

Last edited by joeymdz; 08-14-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigInJapan
lol ok
Old 08-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Proky
Good post but...

If you run a McLaren Formula 1 car into a wall and/or you are not a great driver, you will have issues with it. Doesn't make the McLaren a rubbish F1 race car.

As suggested, try driving within your limits, the cars limits, and know how to set up car = less/no problems.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Wow, quite a lot of you people really underestimate the sheer amount of tracks, people and cars running around in the world.

The xb4 is, by far, the most durable car I've had and this experience is shared among most drivers in my local tracks, if not all.

These gears are designed to be the weakest link, they are cheap, fast to switch out and you can mitigate most of the damage they can recieve by proper setup of the slipper clutch.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:56 AM
Tech Master

Proky

Thks
Proky

These are an inexperienced racer's problems and has nothing to do with crashing or not or the condition of the track.

Learn basic car setup such as setting your slipper according to the surface and grip level available and you will have no problems with the internal diff gears or the pinion/bevel gears except for normal wear (no shimming needed unless parts are getting worn out. Shimming will then become a band-aid instead of replacing parts. See my previous post).

We run these on all kinds of different surfaces such as:
-high grip carpet with slicks and additive
-carpet with pin tires
-high and low grip astro with pin tires
-clay
-dirt

Each surface require its own slipper setting.
Setting the slipper is part of setting up the car for the track just as much as diff. oils, shock oils/springs and roll centers, cambers, toe-in etc etc.

Once you learn this you will have less problems and be faster as well as the car will be more forgiving to drive (just like your D413 with the center diff).

And yes a car with a center diff is generally easier to drive (just like a car with a correctly set slipper will be) but most of the times not any faster.
We run the XB4 with the prototype center diff. now and while it is a bit easier to drive we have yet to go any faster on the same track under the same conditions than with the slipper.
And guess what; the internal gears are composite and holding up great even with 1.000.000CST diff grease

Some prefer the slipper and some prefer the center diff.
But regardless of what you run you can't skip basic car setup and then go on blaming the car for your lack of knowledge.
These are not basher vehicles but are meant to be raced.
If you run them incorrectly setup and land on-throttle the pinion gears will take a beating.
Other than the slipper these are the parts meant to take up the excessive forces and are relatively cheap and quick to replace thanks to the great design of the XB4 (I've raced AE in the past….B44/.1/.2).
Understanding how the drivetrain works also makes it easier to look out for signs of wear and replace parts before they cause any other issues.

Car setup with center diff for the European Championship last month:

Doing a national championship race on astro this weekend and will be testing the center diff again to see if it makes us any faster

Bent

Last edited by BentKa; 08-14-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I just bought an xb4 coming from durango. I ran durango from when they started both sct and buggies. The sct came out with a center diff which also could be completely locked. It would rip the ring and pinion out of the rear end all the time. Remove the locking option and go to center diff and it was fine.

If your slipper is adjusted too tight, it will act the same as being locked and tear up the ring and pinion gears whether they are metal or not. Durango's were all metal and it still tore them up. Ironically durango also had metal internal diff gears and the V4 has went to composites. The composite internal gears have held up fine in the durango over the two month period that I ran them last year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.