Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BDRMBULLY
You may need to shim it
Not really they work perfect out of the box. This for the spec r DCJs

Last edited by aloksatoor; 08-11-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default metal diff gears

sorry for mmy anger but this is BS. I have had my xb4 spec 14 since it came out abd really love it besides the rear diff going out every other week if not every week. Im sick of spending 25 plus dollars on parts that or xrays issues. I have had 5 people buy the kit because I let them drive mine and talked it up and they are having the same issues as me. You guys (XRAY) have been saying since NOV 25 of 2013 that you were making Metal gears to fix your mistake of graphite gears. I have emailed you guys twice now over the last 4 months and have not gotta anything back but "there is not set date yet"

please someone just give me a answer so I where do go from here. sorry If I hit a nerve with someone, but I over a year and half later and nothing when they know people aare blowing them left and right.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by randy0025
sorry for mmy anger but this is BS. I have had my xb4 spec 14 since it came out abd really love it besides the rear diff going out every other week if not every week. Im sick of spending 25 plus dollars on parts that or xrays issues. I have had 5 people buy the kit because I let them drive mine and talked it up and they are having the same issues as me. You guys (XRAY) have been saying since NOV 25 of 2013 that you were making Metal gears to fix your mistake of graphite gears. I have emailed you guys twice now over the last 4 months and have not gotta anything back but "there is not set date yet"

please someone just give me a answer so I where do go from here. sorry If I hit a nerve with someone, but I over a year and half later and nothing when they know people aare blowing them left and right.
I know its been said before but just maintain the slipper right and it will work. I run mine with a 4.5T on a huge 1/8 size track. Just scrape the pads with a xacto, fine sand the plates, adjust to around 6.3 to 6.5 (pre compress spring with channel locks) and run. It does chip gears when I run around 6mm on the springs, its an expensive mistake but you learn from it .

Don't wait on the Hudy guys man they would be busy writing 'optimized' descriptions for the 2015 release lolz. I would drop this car at a moments notice if there was something better but right now just isn't. The d413 is too sloppy and no parts (even that d812 has parts shortages still and did not shine particularly at last weekends big race, the tlrs broke a lot, no zx6s showed up, yokomo is hard to find parts but looks solid). The zx6 would be my choice once they start coming out with gear diffs stock.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aloksatoor
I know its been said before but just maintain the slipper right and it will work

Is there a like button??

I had the EXACT same issue until I started to adjust my slipper almost every time it hit the track. I think its been about 6 months since I've shredded gears. And I race on clay to real loamy dirt to carpet.

its a slipper issue.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Ive burned out two rear diff sets of internal gears (not ring n pinion)bought nt1 gears metal and redonemy slipper seems alot better got 3 days in my buds back yard track pack after pack with no ish ( fingers crossed i dont blow ring nor pinion gears )
Old 08-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aloksatoor
Not really they work perfect out of the box.
That is total malarkey and you know it. Bentka used to fanboy the same lame message. If it was perfect then why new versions and upgrade kits and so on and so on. Various versions of most parts are different dimensions and when mixed can give wildly varying tolerances. < that is fact. Iv'e been saying it since the dang thing came out. SHIM it if it has slop. I still have the original gears in one diff. Shimmed since new.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by asc6000
That is total malarkey and you know it. Bentka used to fanboy the same lame message. If it was perfect then why new versions and upgrade kits and so on and so on. Various versions of most parts are different dimensions and when mixed can give wildly varying tolerances. < that is fact. Iv'e been saying it since the dang thing came out. SHIM it if it has slop. I still have the original gears in one diff. Shimmed since new.
haha not that man, I was talking about the spec-r DCJ front driveshafts sold by superior hobbies THOSE do not need shimming. Edited my post also hehe

You do need to shim that diff esp if the ring is oldler and the bevel is new since the v2 bevel sits a bit ahead :P. Ain't an xray fanboi at all, sold all my 1/8 xray crap since I hate the bigger buggies. As I said before, I would drop this car the moment something better comes in with some decent parts support, sick of paying $$$ for an outdrive and 10 bucks for 1 inch of optimized heat shrink tubing (they sold for the 1/8 stuff).
Old 08-11-2014, 02:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

6 months, both diffs are fine and I beat the piss out of my Xb4. Adjust the slipper correctly.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Gearing for a 7.5..any starting point would be good..thanks for any help..
Old 08-12-2014, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis
23/84 (big track)
Old 08-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis
I think the temps will depend on your ESC/Motor combination as well as gearing, but I know my XB4 with an RS Pro is very heat sensitive with respect to gearing.

My first motor was a Tekin 6.5t. I think I started with a 22 pinion with the stock 81t spur and my RS Pro was thermalling before 10 minutes. I went down to a 21 and managed to finish a 10 minute main, but my speeder was coming off at 190-200 degrees, despite the motor being right around 140 degrees. Tried a 20 tooth pinion and got the speeder to come down to 170 degrees. I finally settled on a 19t pinion which kept both my motor and speeder within the 140-150 degree range.

I moved to a Reedy 6.0T motor and needed to go down to a 18/81
Now I have a Tekin 5.5 motor and I'm at a 17/81

Even one tooth higher on those combinations sent my RS Pro temperature up 20-40 degrees. I'm not lacking in top end speed either. For a 7.5t motor I would suggest starting at a 20/81. Check your temps and if permissible, I'd go up one tooth at a time until you find the sweet spot.

Last edited by Wease; 08-12-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by asc6000
Each to his own I guess.

We've ran these since day 1 and have never shimmed the diffs nor the slipper or the prototype center diff that we now run.

We've done it all with clay, dirt, carpet and astro.

Ball diffs, metal gear diffs and stock composite gears.

Shorty pack and saddle packs.

National Championships, Nordics Championships, European Championships, Euro Offroad Series and a bunch of other races without failures.

What works for some apparently doesn't work for others

Bent
Old 08-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Why announce metal ring n pinion are "coming soon" if they are not? For the longest time you cant even get outdrives on amain like what the heck? If i knew it was so hard to buy parts i would of never purchased this wheeler or any wheeler for that matter i calling BS graphite gears are bogus nuff said i dont care how the pros set their slipper the majority of us are not sponsored pros its almozt football season
C'MON MAN!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Thanks for the help on the gearing..
Old 08-12-2014, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BentKa
Each to his own I guess.

We've ran these since day 1 and have never shimmed the diffs nor the slipper or the prototype center diff that we now run.

We've done it all with clay, dirt, carpet and astro.

Ball diffs, metal gear diffs and stock composite gears.

Shorty pack and saddle packs.

National Championships, Nordics Championships, European Championships, Euro Offroad Series and a bunch of other races without failures.

What works for some apparently doesn't work for others

Bent
You can be smug about it if you want but I don't understand why you don't acknowledge that there YOUR experiences are not what MANY people go through and that there is a simple solution if they so CHOOSE to use it. If you don;t choose to use it then why cut it down for everyone else ? Don't you see all these people posting about their problem ? Why do you want to deny them a solution is boggling.
My car works great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.