Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Rakus
Has anyone tried the avid pistons for this car, and if so could you tell a difference and what size did you get.
I just got a set for my last race. I was previously running the Martin Bayer set up with the drilled 1.6f and 1.7 rear. That was a good shock setup but I felt it lacked pack. I was real happy with my first outing with the avid 1.6x1.1 pistons. They suggest the 1.5x1.1 up front with the 1.6x1.1 rear, but I was not wanting to buy two full sets.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

The pistons Bayer's setup (rear1.7, front1.6) have more pack then the Avid pistons.

What was wrong. The 1.6 and 1.7 are the most common piston combo that I use.

Last edited by Boz; 10-27-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Tech Adept

What pistons did he use??? I'm pretty sure it wasn't the stock xray pistons. Those are really loose in the bore and have way to much oil blow-by to develop any kind of pack. The shock package on this car is the one area that I felt could have used an update. It would have been nice to see an improved shock on the 2014 model.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boz

The pistons Bayer's used have more pack then the Avid pistons.

What was wrong. The 1.6 and 1.7 are the most common piston combo that I use.
Well, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Is there an error in the set ups or the explanation of the new 2014 spec parts?

Xray details that the new +2mm rear suspension hangers are to be screwed directly onto the rear chassis for low traction conditions, yet, I am seeing set ups recommending using the +2mm hangers AND the plastic chassis plate, for running on carpet - which is high traction.

Also, I'd have to agree, I thought a better shock package for 2014 was all but a guarantee. I'm holding out for 3rd party aluminum bleeder caps and machined bushings. I imagine Kyosho makes some sort of O-ring or X ring that will work as well.

I ordered some machined pistons online from Macau - I'll let ya's know what they are like once they arrive in a month! If they're good - I'll be ordering 1.2 2 hole and 1.3 3 hole to copy the basic set ups. I'm also switching to AE 12mm springs & lower spring cups - cheaper and easier to compare to other brands!
Old 10-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

hi!.. is this one the new material gear or this is the older one?..just curious cuz i heard it,s supposed to be stamped 35 at the back of the bevel gear...i just order some and a just make sure i dont buy older stuff lol thx folks!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ial-Bevel-Gear
Old 10-28-2013, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mccoy
hi!.. is this one the new material gear or this is the older one?..just curious cuz i heard it,s supposed to be stamped 35 at the back of the bevel gear...i just order some and a just make sure i dont buy older stuff lol thx folks!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ial-Bevel-Gear
A main has all the updated v2 parts.. so if you buy from them your not getting old stock
Old 10-28-2013, 11:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

oki thx Joey!
Old 10-29-2013, 02:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
Is there an error in the set ups or the explanation of the new 2014 spec parts?

Xray details that the new +2mm rear suspension hangers are to be screwed directly onto the rear chassis for low traction conditions, yet, I am seeing set ups recommending using the +2mm hangers AND the plastic chassis plate, for running on carpet - which is high traction.
Here's a pic of Martin Bayer's car from EOS.
So no error, they actually drive it like that

The picture is from redrc.

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails Xray XB4 thread-bayerxb4.jpg  
Old 10-29-2013, 05:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks Niemand, but that outlines my confusion - why is Bayer using the low traction suspension hangers for high traction? I run indoor, high traction, astro and outdoor, medium traction clay, and I am trying to decide if I need these new suspension hangers or not.

The Xray explanation didn't cover this combined use of parts....
Old 10-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
Thanks Niemand, but that outlines my confusion - why is Bayer using the low traction suspension hangers for high traction? I run indoor, high traction, astro and outdoor, medium traction clay, and I am trying to decide if I need these new suspension hangers or not.

The Xray explanation didn't cover this combined use of parts....
Martin would be the only person to explain why he did that but have you tried his Czech setup? Its very solid for turf. (Also Martin was running a 2013 car with new rear arms.. thats all I could find different)

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/xray/se...vy20130811.pdf

run that first and see if you need anything else (you wont be disappointed)

Last edited by joeymdz; 10-29-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:42 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I'm having issues on a hard packed clay circuit, and am 2-3 seconds a lap off the pace, am finding the car doesn't grip too well if you try to carry speed coming into and through a tight corner, would using the progressive springs work? Also would adding a few washers under the uptravel O ring assist not only with bottoming out but stability going into a corner after a jump?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Give the car more flex, take out all of the flex screws and see what happens. You can always add a couple back later.

I also found I really like the 2 dot front and 1 dot rear, those help a lot coming out of the corner. And finally the new slipper pads will help quite a bit getting on the power.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
I'm having issues on a hard packed clay circuit, and am 2-3 seconds a lap off the pace, am finding the car doesn't grip too well if you try to carry speed coming into and through a tight corner, would using the progressive springs work? Also would adding a few washers under the uptravel O ring assist not only with bottoming out but stability going into a corner after a jump?
I marshaled your race last week, your car looked ok but not as settled as the two running at the front of the pack. You can compare your times either if you aren't clipping the apex's like the faster drivers.

I have put my latest setup for our home track on the Xray website if you wish to try it. Some of the stock drivers had a wheel of my car on a practice day with the EPA reduced to stock speed. They liked it because it turned in a little harder then their own cars with stock settings.

Putting the washer under the o-ring is now moving the force/energy that is being absorbed by the chassis to the shock and the shock tower.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
The first thing I did was pull all of the rollbars off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.