Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

+1 for the Bayer setup. You'll need the 1dot rear springs and narrow hex's for the front. Car is very balanced with his setup but it has a ton of steering. Also AE slipper pads and spur, that helps the car a lot.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seth556
+1 for the Bayer setup. You'll need the 1dot rear springs and narrow hex's for the front. Car is very balanced with his setup but it has a ton of steering. Also AE slipper pads and spur, that helps the car a lot.
On springs I went with 2 stripe in the front and 2 dots in the rear with losing 40f/32.5r.
normal hexes in the front with narrows in the rear. I run on a loamy true dirt Oregon track with Med/low traction but with that set up I have tons of traction.

Ps- are the ae pads a direct fit?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by joeymdz
Martin Bayer European championship set up. It has lots of on and off power steering, jumps great, very easy to drive. Only thing you will need is a 1.6 & 1.7mm drill bit and a 84 tooth spur. (Well my car came with extra springs so maybe those too)

Then play around with the diff oil. I didn't have 8k but when I used 7k it was too aggressive for the track I was racing at. I ended up using 5/3 and that's the sweet spot. My fellow xray driver said mine has to much much steering but he's switching over to the Bayer set up.. LOL (that's what your EPA is for...)
Thanks. I ll be looking for his setup.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seth556

10-4

I'll pickup some AE slipper pads and a J-Concepts silent speed 81 & 84 spur.

Can anyone recommend a small list of spares to keep around for the XB-4?

I was told it's built like a tank and after the build I can see why....!!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RED-LINE M03
10-4

bevel gears, arms, bearings, wings... lol, and other performance parts as in springs, complete diffs, hexes, and tires

the car is pretty solid but sometimes you have an unfortunate accident
Old 09-04-2013, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default New XB4

Hello Everyone - thanks to a fellow RCTech member on this thread, ASC6000, I am soon to be a proud owner of an XB4 - I've tracked the parcel and it is in Canada, but not yet delivered - I hope it arrives soon!

I have the Exoteck aluminum CVD caps & steering brace coming, and looking at spares as I'll be one of only a few racing the XRay outdoors. I figure front end parts, A-Arm, hinge pin etc will be on my list (I hit things).

I plan to set it up from the get go with Martin Bayer's Euro champ set up, that track looked a fair bit bigger and a lot harder though then my local clay track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMnqc7MsnSs

Would Martin's set up still be considered the best starting place for clay vs. the XRay Basic set up for clay?
The other option is to try the Avid piston set up - using Martin's roll centres?

I've already read the manual - those roll centre pages with all the options made my head hurt.

We run barcode type tires most of the time, or square fuzzie type tires when it's a little dusty - hard packed, damp to dusty, clay. I'm open to ideas.

Thanks in advance

D.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

HeavyD. The basic kit setup was pretty good at SAR. Not a bad starting point at least. I tried a bunch of tires there. Green Barcodes worked the best, but it was a high traction weekend when I was there (cdn nats). If the track is freshly sprayed, flipouts might be best. Dry, slightly dusty conditions, square fuzzies, holeshots or losi blockhead fronts with x3000 rears are usually good choices.

Heck of a nice home track you have there. So lucky to have a guy like Billy in the hobby.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

10-4

I am doing quite a few rear hubs for some reason... Just those and the ball cups
Are the AE spurs a direct fit?
Old 09-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (97%+)

I've broke 2 front arms, a couple wings, front hinge pin and wing posts. other than that the car has been very solid
Old 09-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi i wanna buy a new 4wd. i just sold my b44.2 i dont like how to drive it.

i try a durango 4wd good driving with it but 4 people have it at my local track and always broke. So i check for the xray it seem to be a good car. Does it break always like durango or more solid? And what about the driving? i have a scte 2.0 and it was not the same driving then my b44.2. So if you have it say me some feedback about the xray. thx
Old 09-05-2013, 03:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by neo456
Hi i wanna buy a new 4wd. i just sold my b44.2 i dont like how to drive it.

i try a durango 4wd good driving with it but 4 people have it at my local track and always broke. So i check for the xray it seem to be a good car. Does it break always like durango or more solid? And what about the driving? i have a scte 2.0 and it was not the same driving then my b44.2. So if you have it say me some feedback about the xray. thx

A top driver where I race says that it breaks much less than his durango and that when it does break, it does it so he can still finish the race and then change the part that broke after.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
I've already read the manual - those roll centre pages with all the options made my head hurt.
D.
Especially in regards to those specific inserts the XB4 is pure simplicity compared to a Kyosho ZX5FS2, I have one of those for sale too! used one race (nats). fwiw the main things I changed on the XB4 and liked was lower weight diff fluid front and back. Also settle on how many chassis stiffening screws you want to run before spending tons of time with small things as the chassis setting is quite dramatic.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Anyone running the Dex210 14mm Durango front & rear rims?

I read that the xb4 has so much steering that some are running the 2wd wheels up front.

Also does the geometry of the suspension change by using the Durango 14mm rims over the xray rims?

Thx...

X-Ray 💪😃👍
Old 09-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Anyone running the Dex210 14mm Durango front & rear rims?

I read that the xb4 has so much steering that some are running the 2wd wheels up front.

Also does the geometry of the suspension change by using the Durango 14mm rims over the xray rims?

Thx...

X-Ray 💪😃👍
I do from day one. It does not have that much steering to goto 2wd wheels. Its less than the b44.2 and rango from what I hear. Only driven the b44 though from personal experience. Less than the schumacher SX2 as well. Its very drivable. Almost like a ebuggy vs a touring car type handling.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You need to drill the TD wheels to 5.5mm and I think either the fronts or rears have +1mm offset but I can't remember sorry.

If you read about 2wd wheels up front that is probably because they were running it as a 2wd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.