Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New Traxxas 1/10th Rally...New Race class?? >

New Traxxas 1/10th Rally...New Race class??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Traxxas 1/10th Rally...New Race class??

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just put one on my Christmas wish list!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:02 PM
trk
Tech Initiate

looks interessting, but damn, is that real ENGLISH ? i just can understand some words...

does he say anything bout the measurements ? Wheelbase ? Width ?
Old 10-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Find the right body and get rid of the bumper and you got yourself a 4wd buggy! A little traxxas wheeler action. lol
Old 10-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Why is it that it takes Traxxas to suddenly RE-Legitimize a class?

HPI, Yokomo, AE, Tamiya etc had Rally cars many years ago, and it was an AWESOME class. At our old track, we used the same format as WRC and raced on the same track as the 2wd buggys, ST, and 4wd buggy. Such Fun.
It wasn't as cool as some of the racing that the Europeans do (see http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...r-c-rally.html )

It will be interesting to see how this develops and if RALLY makes a comeback.

I'm surprised that the class sorta lost steam, but hopefully Rally will start making a comeback. And now, with Proline making shells to make the slash into rally cars etc. I thought they would have done it sooner.

Time will tell. Is it 200mm?

MOmo
Old 10-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Tech Rookie

I would love to know if that new "LCG" "chassis can fit in Slash 4x4 or Stampede 4x4 ..

That would be sweet.. I love my slash, but it is at least 1 or 2 inch higher CG then SC10 4x4 etc ..

CHINA Turnigy actually made a SCT almost identical to the Slash, but with LCG chassis ..may be Traxxas finally "copy" from them? :P
Old 10-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lbenton
I think it looks very interesting, but as a racing class it will not catch on unless another manufacturer or two steps in and offers something in the same class. One hit wonders do not last for a racing class, like the SCB that almost died but might get a second chance now that AE is releasing a new car.

Now this makes three times that Traxxas has pulled the trigger on new classes I can think of...

Short Course (that worked out well, every track runs that to death)

Dragster (jury is out on that being a racing class, not just for the lack of other options for cars, but the fact that it needs a "new track" to run, not going to do well on a VTA carpet...)

Now Rally (which I would like to see catch one to be honest)
You're obviously not into rally. There have been plenty in the past, and there's quite a few on the market now. Noticeable big manufacturer, tamiya, recently released its XV-01.

The main problem with the rally class at the moment is the scale. Tamiya 190mm 1/10. Others 200mm, others 1/9 which is closer to 1/7 and now HPI with 1/8. They need to get together and sort this out for anything to really happen.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
that actually looks pretty neat. I'd like to see more on the specs, such as wheelbase, width, etc. the LCG layout is pretty nice and something I'd like to see on the slash. it's a new take on a rally car platform. It essentially looks like a 4wd buggy with a rally body on top. Wish it came with a fiesta body like their 1/16 rally cars.
It's with inn fractions of an inch of the slash 4x4 in all aspects. I would bet good money the center chassis section will bolt right to the slash front and rear drive assemblies. I'm going to check it out as soon as the lhs gets one in. Hoping I can order a chassis and use it in my slash. Also wouldn't mind having the rally car itself lol
Old 10-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sith Lord
The main problem with the rally class at the moment is the scale. Tamiya 190mm 1/10. Others 200mm, others 1/9 which is closer to 1/7 and now HPI with 1/8. They need to get together and sort this out for anything to really happen.
Yep, another different scale...... This will be another fine Traxxas basher, but seriously when will they learn. Rally has no hope of taking off when every manufacturer has a different scale.

http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...407rally-specs
Old 10-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm really loving this car, it might be my next thing to buy.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MOmo
Why is it that it takes Traxxas to suddenly RE-Legitimize a class?

HPI, Yokomo, AE, Tamiya etc had Rally cars many years ago, and it was an AWESOME class. At our old track, we used the same format as WRC and raced on the same track as the 2wd buggys, ST, and 4wd buggy. Such Fun.
It wasn't as cool as some of the racing that the Europeans do (see http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...r-c-rally.html )

It will be interesting to see how this develops and if RALLY makes a comeback.

I'm surprised that the class sorta lost steam, but hopefully Rally will start making a comeback. And now, with Proline making shells to make the slash into rally cars etc. I thought they would have done it sooner.

Time will tell. Is it 200mm?

MOmo
No, it is alot bigger than that....think pro-line rally car body for the Slash.....
It drives as expected....like a really great Rally car....not like a 200mm on road car converted to off road..I havent run it with a full off-road setup, but the tarmac setup is pretty fun.....I can see a class forming.....AS LONG as there are other bodies to support it. Needless to say, Traxxas will directly support any track that runs a spec class for it....
I agree about the other manufacturer-thing...a racign class is tough with only one manufacturer i the class, but, it isnt impossible...there are still slash 2wd spec classes out there, and 4wd slash spec has sparked up in alot of areas....Losi SCB has been ok, too....
Old 10-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Tech Adept

i could see:

1. run it off road. granted, the jumps have to be bypassed. and dont sweep the track. or actually add sections where it actually requires the off road tires.

2. then second heat will be run in an on-road track. can change out tires and make suspension changes...
Old 10-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Here's my concern.

Is this compatible with 200mm bodies?

Tamiya's recent release of the XV-01 marked my return to the Rally scene--it got me interested when nothing had quite gotten me there since the HPI RS4 Rally years and years ago. The nice thing is that with the new XV-01, you can use the plethora of 1.9" wheels and rally tires that're still around from Rally's boom a number of years ago. I fully intend on getting the original RS4 Rally's body--the '98 WRC Impreza--for the XV-01 as soon as they're back in stock at Tower.

There are tons and tons of rally bodies that're available for the XV-01 and no doubt Tamiya will bring out new ones soon.

Now, the new Traxxas 1:10 rally is Slash 4x4-based, as we all know. That makes me wonder if it's going to be compatible with 200mm bodies and 26mm wheels/tires.

If not, I don't know why. Sure it's nice to have a new segment but it would've been smart to make it compatible with rally cars already on the market. I'd love a rally class. I've always thought it was a great idea since the RS4 Rally's release (And the followers of the concept--Kyosho, Yokomo, etc), but if the Traxxas Rally sparks a new class and it's not open or compatible with other rally cars on the market, that'll kind of be a kick in the nuts.

Anyway, definitely looking forward to seeing where this goes!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

It's far from being compatible with 200mm bodies...it's 297mm wide!

I have the Kyosho drx and that is quite a big car..width 260mm and a wheelbase of 316mm.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Seems like a pretty cool car. I think the body looks really ugly, the fiesta body would look way better. Too soon to determine if a class is going to start up for it but that would be pretty cool.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by viking252200
It's far from being compatible with 200mm bodies...it's 297mm wide!

I have the Kyosho drx and that is quite a big car..width 260mm and a wheelbase of 316mm.
I hadn't seen the specs on it, I realize now that it's far bigger then the XV-01 or the other 1/10th scale rally cars. Their calling it 1/10 should've been a hint. They called the Slash 1/10 too and it's the same size as an 8th scale buggy.

The charm of the Slash was that it was cheap and it was scale-looking in a time where scale RC was taking off big. This is going to be neither cheap nor scale. That's kinda' disappointing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.