Wiki Posts
Search

STRC Slash 4x4 LCG chassis coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 02:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 5468gary
looking for some help, I lust converted my 4x4 slash with the strc chassis conversion (which it totally awesome) but i would like to upgrade my motor. will the stock speed controler still work with a better motor or need to change that also? what is a good setup for what im running?
Sorry to say your stock speed controller won't do a better motor justice. I would recommend upgrading to a Castle MMP esc along with a Castle 3800kv motor. I just looked on Ebay and you can get this setup together for around $200 shipped to your door. You'll be very happy with the performance, the Castle 3800kv motor gives up amazing amount of power in a small package! There're a lot of other options, imo this is a good package for the price. Another good setup is the motor and esc out of a rtr Losi SCTE. The esc says Losi on it but it's actually a rebadged Castle MMP, the motor is a 550 can and it's 2800kv. It's strong running motor, I have this in one of my sc trucks and I've been real happy with it. If you're interested in this one go to Ebay and put in Losi SCTE then go to page 15, it's $159.99 with free shipping.

Last edited by jones8352; 12-22-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jones8352
Sorry to say you stock speed controller won't do a better motor justice. I would recommend upgrading to a Castle MMP esc along with a Castle 3800kv motor. I just looked on Ebay and you can get this setup together for around $200 shipped to your door. You'll be very happy with the performance, the Castle 3800kv motor gives up amazing amount of power in a small package! There're a lot of other options, imo this is a good package for the price. Another good setup is the motor and esc out of a rtr Losi SCTE. The esc says Losi on it but it's actually a rebadged Castle MMP, the motor is a 550 can and it's 2800kv. It's strong running motor, I have this in one of my sc trucks and I've been real happy with it. If you're interested in this one go to Ebay and put in Losi SCTE then go to page 15, it's $159.99 with free shipping.
I would agree with the castle 3800 motor. I run that in my slash and it is the perfect motor for it. It has a lot of power and is very efficient. It is one of the fastest motors at my track when I race. Also it runs very cool.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ta_man
You can get another 2.5MM by using a Losi Ten-SCTE front shock shaft but you will have to drill out the Traxxas piston to fit on the shock shaft. I didn't measure the Ten-SCTE rears but you might be able to get that additional 10MM that way.

I've used Traxxas GTR shock shafts in Ten-SCTE shocks to reduce their overall length so I know the shafts interchange with minimal headaches.
I found some Losi shocks in my junk box, so I took a set of the rear shafts and installed them in my front shocks like you suggested and they were perfect. I was able to mount them in the first hole on the arm with the perfect amount of droop, it couldn't have worked out any better! Thankyou very much for the info!!!!
Old 12-24-2012, 03:53 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

As a few mentioned the Castle 3800 is a perfect motor for a Slash 4x4.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:17 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Wonder who opened their Christmas gifts to find a STRC LCG chassis setup. What a way to wake up your Slash.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have enough $$ now to order one. But there's another $250 I needed for all the other projects in the garage too. I'll be in a foot cast for 6 weeks starting next weekend and will/ should have plenty of R/C stuff to keep me busy. I'll probably get my LHS to order it for me so I can pay cash. Easier to hide that expenditure.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello everyone. I am very new just got a slash 4x4 ultimate a week ago (i did play with RC cars back in 94 had a clodbuster) So much has changed. I did order the kit I'm one of those people that like to have the best of everything lol. So When I get it in i may be asking alot of questions and hopefully will get some good answers.

I also Ordered the MMP ESC with CC3800KV motor.

The only question i have about this kit is that i noticed the gearing is expose..Wont dirt and rocks flying up in there cause problems?

Hope you all have good Holidays
Old 12-26-2012, 02:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sidewind75
Hello everyone. I am very new just got a slash 4x4 ultimate a week ago (i did play with RC cars back in 94 had a clodbuster) So much has changed. I did order the kit I'm one of those people that like to have the best of everything lol. So When I get it in i may be asking alot of questions and hopefully will get some good answers.

I also Ordered the MMP ESC with CC3800KV motor.

The only question i have about this kit is that i noticed the gearing is expose..Wont dirt and rocks flying up in there cause problems?

Hope you all have good Holidays
Congrats on your new Ultimate, you'll have a ton of fun with it! You shouldn't have any problems with debri getting into your gears. The Slash comes with 32p gearing which is plenty strong plus the gears spins so fast most of the time it's really hard for any thing to get stuck.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by wyd
Wonder who opened their Christmas gifts to find a STRC LCG chassis setup. What a way to wake up your Slash.
Well you know I already had my chassis but I did get to open my Savox SC-1257TG servo which will go in the slash! Then she'll be complete, well relatively, a true addict doesn't ever have a complete vehicle.

Hope everyone had their Christmas wishes filled and Happy New Year to all.

Kevin
Old 12-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default another way to get your center of gravity even lower

Check this out PL 6087-00. A cool mount that makes it easy to lower the body on your STRC Slash's for even lower center of gravity and this mount eliminates body pins which I dearly hate with a passion! LOL
Old 12-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default A few more like this and I'm in!

I installed a strc bellcrank on my lcg kit today and took it and my Losi scte to the track. I took my Losi so I would have something to compare lap times with since it's a solid performer. The new bellcrank was a thing of beauty, the fit and finish was nearly perfect. I also changed motors since the last time I went to the track, I installed a Tekin 4.5t 550 can. It worked real good, very powerful and ran cool. One minor thing I want to mention is that hole in the chassis for accessing the bellcrank linkage screw is a little slice of genius. Makes the whole process so much easier. After spending around 4 hrs at the track with minor tuning here and there I had my strc Slash turning lap times so close it's not worth mentioning. Huge improvement on a rig I quit racing a long time ago because I deemed it way too slow to compete in todays sc class. Best $100 I've ever spent in rc racing!!! Plus the fun factor went waaaaaaay up! LOL
Any other STRC LCG owners have the same experience? Anyone finally beat that SC10 4X4 they could never pass until swapping over to this chassis? Help me drop the hammer on this!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by MidTCrawler
Well you know I already had my chassis but I did get to open my Savox SC-1257TG servo which will go in the slash! Then she'll be complete, well relatively, a true addict doesn't ever have a complete vehicle.

Hope everyone had their Christmas wishes filled and Happy New Year to all.

Kevin
Awesome. A lot of our guys use this servo but if they have a Castle MMP speedo in they also then run the external 10 amp BEC from Castle to make sure they don't have any stuttering issues. The Savox servos do use more power than most servos so if you have slow stuttering steering thats what it is caused from.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wyd
Awesome. A lot of our guys use this servo but if they have a Castle MMP speedo in they also then run the external 10 amp BEC from Castle to make sure they don't have any stuttering issues. The Savox servos do use more power than most servos so if you have slow stuttering steering thats what it is caused from.
Wyd isn't there an easier (maybe cheaper is a better word) way to solve the Savox glitching problems? I use the Savox 1256 in all my rigs, from 1/8 truggies to 1/10 sc. They can be a bit on the nervous side if they don't get enough voltage. What I do is hook up a Castle Link and click on the advanced tab. There's a section on BEC voltage, default is 5.5v. The options they give you is 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 6.5, 7.0v and at the bottom there's custom slot. I just set a new Losi MSC-MXPRP (rebadged mmp) this morning to 6.0v and that eliminated the glitching. Only once have I found a need to go past 6v to cure the problem. Installing a Castle external bec will solve the problem but it does cost money and love saving cash so I can buy more STRC goodies!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:48 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Wyd isn't there an easier (maybe cheaper is a better word) way to solve the Savox glitching problems? I use the Savox 1256 in all my rigs, from 1/8 truggies to 1/10 sc. They can be a bit on the nervous side if they don't get enough voltage. What I do is hook up a Castle Link and click on the advanced tab. There's a section on BEC voltage, default is 5.5v. The options they give you is 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 6.5, 7.0v and at the bottom there's custom slot. I just set a new Losi MSC-MXPRP (rebadged mmp) this morning to 6.0v and that eliminated the glitching. Only once have I found a need to go past 6v to cure the problem. Installing a Castle external bec will solve the problem but it does cost money and love saving cash so I can buy more STRC goodies!
The 10 amp BEC is only 20 bucks. I actually run everything set at 6v but since the internal BEC is 3 amps like most ESC's I just found it more full proof to run the external BEC. It won't over heat as easily. As long as you can get them to work like that its fine. My feeling to is that the 4wd servo takes more punishment than most other steering servos and strain so I thought the external BEC being 10 amps would handle any surges in power better. Just my thoughts but again if yours is working that is great.

If you have yours working that is great and until you have a problem no need to change it. It is funny though that even on my crawler using a Savox servo I needed a stutter stopper cap setup so my crawler servo from Savox wouldn't hesitate.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wyd
The 10 amp BEC is only 20 bucks. I actually run everything set at 6v but since the internal BEC is 3 amps like most ESC's I just found it more full proof to run the external BEC. It won't over heat as easily. As long as you can get them to work like that its fine. My feeling to is that the 4wd servo takes more punishment than most other steering servos and strain so I thought the external BEC being 10 amps would handle any surges in power better. Just my thoughts but again if yours is working that is great.

If you have yours working that is great and until you have a problem no need to change it. It is funny though that even on my crawler using a Savox servo I needed a stutter stopper cap setup so my crawler servo from Savox wouldn't hesitate.
The funny part about the Savox servos is not all of them have a glitching problem. I don't know how many I have, that doesn't matter, I would say around 50% of them have some glitching problems. I put a 1256 in a e truggy and have it work perfectly, put the same servo in my wifes Pede and it about rattled the front tires off of it. I've been running Savox for a few seasons and haven't had any failures (knock on wood). I've bumped the internal bec voltage up on all of them without issues (so far). One quick cheap way to fix the glitching is a $5 Racers Edge glitch buster (or a Castle bec lol).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.