Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is my slash now a competitive racer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Just my 2cents from my experience. My buddy and I started with bone stock Slashes. STRC had plethora of colored aluminum parts for bling we bought them. Bought Traxxas Big Bore shocks to replace the lame plastic ones.Decided to graduate from bashing and start going to the track. Soon found out our blinged out Slashes were crap on the track and the SC10's were running circles around us. And all out shiny alum parts were useless. Proline came out with the Protrac Suspension kit we bought it and the Powerstroke shocks. Nice little improvement but super spendy. Handled a bit better than stock and didn't traction roll as frequently. LCG chassis started to come out for the Slash but those were very pricey. Held off. Then STRC came out with their Rustler chassis based lcg kit thAT was affordable. And guess what? We bought that. It was a huge improvement and the Slash became competitve. We could hang with the SC10s on the track but could only hang not beat. Just not as nimble as the AE trucks. Long story short after hucking a ton of $$$ at the Slash to try and get it competive check my signature below to see if I kept it...
Every truck below I bought used here on Rctech. Example: FTSC10 2wd roller- $150 You do the math and decide if you still want to go Slash route.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Have you also forgotten that your vxl-3s failed after one week. Yes they are sending you a new one, but I would bet anything that it will fail again. At that point you will be investing in a new motor and esc as well. I sold my Slash months ago and moved up to 1/8 scale nitro. The Slash is a nice car, just not what you're looking for if you plan on racing.

The Slash is a easy sale on here or Craigslist. Take the money and buy a proper race vehicle. This conversation has also been beaten to death on the Traxxas forums. End result was me being banned cause of bashing Traxxas
Old 06-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

And everyone forgets to mention that they level of driving has gotten better with time. Those race trucks do have better setups out of the box, but I've seen many even struggle with them. In the end weight is weight, wheelbase is wheelbase, plastic is plastic... it then all becomes numbers. How you drive and manage those numbers dictates the results.

No offense to the OP, but those asking these types of questions should do a little more research on the web. All your going to get with a question like the title is a bunch of a**holes... get it, opinions everyones got one.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OMG23RC
Also i dont really like the lcg chassis it sort of defeats the purpose of buying a sct.
I would like to know how the h*** you came to this? Almost every other SCT has a much lower CoG then the Slash. Getting the LCG conversion makes it a similar CoG to most other SCT's.

Last edited by badaml; 01-26-2013 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Language
Old 06-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RatsacK
I would like to know how the h*** you came to this? Almost every other SCT has a much lower CoG then the Slash. Getting the LCG conversion makes it a similar CoG to most other SCT's.
Sorry I was meant to say slash not sct. But ahh I'm going to get the protrac kit and just a few RPM. I do quite a lot of bashing anyway, it's just I go to the local track to do a few laps and stuff. Also I can't really buy any of the stuff off here cause all the people won't ship to Australia

Last edited by badaml; 01-26-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:16 AM
Tech Master

wait i have one last question.. will the wheel that come with the protac kit work with these proline wheels?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Truck-Tires-2
Old 06-28-2012, 01:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

any tire designed for sc's will work with sc rims, so in short the answer is yes!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Well I'm staying with traxxas and just placed my order with a-main I got the strc kit, protrac suspension kit, proline Caliabers m3 at the back m2 up the front and some big bores. This only cost around $230 shipped. So in total it's like $600. Im happy Getting a roller might of been cheaper but o-well. Will this be good?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Well I'm staying with traxxas and just placed my order with a-main I got the strc kit, protrac suspension kit, proline Caliabers m3 at the back m2 up the front and some big bores. This only cost around $230 shipped. So in total it's like $600. Im happy Getting a roller might of been cheaper but o-well. Will this be good?
After reading that. I think it would be pointless for anyone to keep posting on the matter.

for 600 bucks I would have built a bada** SC10 and had money left over

Kid I race with has driven a Blitz for nearly a year now. Has been getting better.. I sold him a SC10 helped him dial it. installed all his elec. out of his HPI... Ran his fastest Last wed with 100% NO Practice time on the track. Didn't even have the ride height adjusted. front was like 21mm. and he did very well. He said he should have gone the sc10 route long ago..

Good luck with your slash track build.
My opinion is you just wasted your money, to a point.

Last edited by badaml; 01-26-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Wasted a lot of money, unless there is a slash class
Old 06-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jonny5
And for all that money you could have bought a truck that is competitive out of the box. I've got roughly $600 into an lcg slash roller, and though it's worlds better than the stock slash, it still isn't as good as the ft sc10 that I race regularly. The slash is absolutely great for the spec slash class or for bashing around the yard. It can be made into a competant racer as well, but for the investment needed it's an absolute waste of money. You'll spend more in aftermarket parts to option one out than you could buy any of the other race level trucks for. If your goal is to spend a ton of cash, load up your slash with aftermarket this and that. If you want to have a worthy race chassis and save some cash in the process, buy a truck from AE, Losi, Kyosho, or wait another few weeks for the new Durango (that's what I'll be switching to as soon as its out). There's a reason most of the replies on this thread have said it's a waste to invest all that money into a slash: it's true.
I know, that's why I dont have my slash anymore The OP seems dedicated to this thing, like I was for a while, so I figured I would give him the best options (in MY opinion).
Old 06-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by brent701
After reading that. I think it would be pointless for anyone to keep posting on the matter.

for 600 bucks I would have built a badass SC10 and had money left over

Kid I race with has driven a Blitz for nearly a year now. Has been getting better.. I sold him a SC10 helped him dial it. installed all his elec. out of his HPI... Ran his fastest Last wed with 100% NO Practice time on the track. Didn't even have the ride height adjusted. front was like 21mm. and he did very well. He said he should have gone the sc10 route long ago..

Good luck with your slash track build.
My opinion is you just wasted your money, to a point.
+100000000
Old 06-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

ok I've read thru this entire thread and the OP wants to know if he has upgraded his Slash to be a competitive racer. Well my friend, he's made his Slash plenty durable but as a racer, maybe he could've chosen something else. But in his defense, if you watch TORC races they were originally Slashes w/durability upgrades. Sure enough though Slashes float, bob and weave, sometimes blow shock caps, VXL motor/ESC's go bad, etc. but IMO they are a ton of fun to drive, thrash, and race around w/friends.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Well I'm staying with traxxas and just placed my order with a-main I got the strc kit, protrac suspension kit, proline Caliabers m3 at the back m2 up the front and some big bores. This only cost around $230 shipped. So in total it's like $600. Im happy Getting a roller might of been cheaper but o-well.
I spent less than 600 on my Kyosho SCR-SP!!!, the best SC on the market, and arguably the most expensive... WHY oh WHY would you spend $600 on a traxxas?

A more pertinent question, is why make a thread asking for advice on whether or not to spend so much money on a traxxas in attempts to make it track competative, and after the vast majority of your advice telling you "no".. and showing you how you can get a FAR FAR better truck for less money... go out and do it anyway? What's the point of asking for advice and help if you flat out completely ignore it? But hey.. it's your cash.. I spend my money on all KINDS of stupid stuff too! I just don't want you putting your truck back on the track and expect it to keep up with the AEs, Losis, and K trucks.

Will this be good?
As we have already told you... no, not at all. But what matters most is that you have fun... so good luck!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have my X-Factory SCX60CF set up for under 600$.

Factory SC10 kit - 270
Xfactory conversion kit - 250
Avid springs and other needed shock things - 60

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.