Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is my slash now a competitive racer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 04:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I just think its mildly funny that people are calling the FT SC10 and other racer kits "High dollar kits" when the slash is basically being all replaced, so i just don't get it. You can take the electronics from the slash, put it in the race kits and spend about the same or less. just imo
Old 06-27-2012, 04:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hmm, well im lowering my budget a bit. is the protac suspension kit any good? will it make much of a diffrence? if its good i will just get some calibers, big bores, rpm skid plates and the protac kit. The reviews say it will make it turn better and give you better lap times. is this good. Also i dont really like the lcg chassis it sort of defeats the purpose of buying a sct.
p.s if i could have my time again i would of got the sc10rs or a roller and put the mmp in it.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You still can. For what you are going to spend on your big bore shocks and the protrac kit, you can get a used roller, have it be FT SC10 or regular SC10 off of rctech for about the same. You then could have either 2 trucks or try and sell your slash as a roller.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why not just buy a race truck for less than you're spending on the Slash?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Well I love traxxas support and their parts are readily available. One thing are the wheel with the protrac kit compatiable with these: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Truck-Tires-2?
Also what glue do I use to stick them together.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ridepate
Some of you fanboys crack me up............If not for the Slash, SCT would be where??? Probably not even heard of .....Is it an out of the box racer?? No, of course it's not.
It takes something called SKILL to make it a competitive racer. Sure, it takes a wallet-load of parts to get there and a lot more time and finesse to get set-up. In the end, there really won't be much Slash left.
The satisfaction-level of putting a pure, clean , A$$-chapping on "Mr. High-Dollar" (we all know him) with what you call a Slash.............Priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm a big fan and supporter of the Slash. Some of the most fun racing I ever did was with a bone stock Slash. I miss the stock Slash classes. It was an affordable, easy truck to run and maintain. Anyone could plop down $225 and be ready to race.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:41 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OMG23RC
Hmm, well im lowering my budget a bit. is the protac suspension kit any good? will it make much of a diffrence? if its good i will just get some calibers, big bores, rpm skid plates and the protac kit. The reviews say it will make it turn better and give you better lap times. is this good. Also i dont really like the lcg chassis it sort of defeats the purpose of buying a sct.
p.s if i could have my time again i would of got the sc10rs or a roller and put the mmp in it.
The protrac kit is very good. A worthwhile upgrade, but I would choose the STRC LCG upgrade over it. You will have to use Pro-Line wheels though, because the offset is different with this kit.

The LCG kit turns the Slash into a flat bottom chassis just like the SC10, Blitz, etc. It doesn't defeat the purpose at all.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by OMG23RC
How so?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Here are some of the best all-out performance upgrades for the slash:
1. Anza LCG chassis
2. Pro-line Pro-trac kit
3. Race tires/ body
4. Various Anza parts, like shock towers and carriers
5. Power system
6. The newly released PL Tranny

Best bet would be to find the front and rear ends of the car and install all these parts rather than buying a new kit.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I don't think Traxxas support and parts availability will come into play when there are no Traxxas parts left on it. The first R/C vehicle I attempted to race competitively was a 2wd Slash. I pretty much threw as much money into it as I could with the STRC Lcg kit, shocks, RPM everything, etc only to find out the hard way that the general consensus on the Slash is right on the money: Great basher, not very good racer. Keep in mind I was trying to race it on a high bite indoor clay track, and I do think that the Slash would fare slightly better on a rough outdoor track. Anyway to make a long story longer I ended up buying a Losi XXX-SCT which out of the box was light years ahead of my highly modified Slash, and with The TLR tuning kit became that much better. I say keep your Slash stock and enjoy it for the awesome backyard basher it is and get something more race oriented for track duty. Good luck and have fun!
Old 06-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Ever heard "Only the driver can make it competive?"

I bet Cavalieri could grab a slash and do better the most in his class...

Personally I would buy a different car to race...
Old 06-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcboy1
Here are some of the best all-out performance upgrades for the slash:
1. Anza LCG chassis
2. Pro-line Pro-trac kit
3. Race tires/ body
4. Various Anza parts, like shock towers and carriers
5. Power system
6. The newly released PL Tranny

Best bet would be to find the front and rear ends of the car and install all these parts rather than buying a new kit.
And for all that money you could have bought a truck that is competitive out of the box. I've got roughly $600 into an lcg slash roller, and though it's worlds better than the stock slash, it still isn't as good as the ft sc10 that I race regularly. The slash is absolutely great for the spec slash class or for bashing around the yard. It can be made into a competant racer as well, but for the investment needed it's an absolute waste of money. You'll spend more in aftermarket parts to option one out than you could buy any of the other race level trucks for. If your goal is to spend a ton of cash, load up your slash with aftermarket this and that. If you want to have a worthy race chassis and save some cash in the process, buy a truck from AE, Losi, Kyosho, or wait another few weeks for the new Durango (that's what I'll be switching to as soon as its out). There's a reason most of the replies on this thread have said it's a waste to invest all that money into a slash: it's true.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

Have you done the math OMG23RC?

You're looking at spending $166 in upgrades alone, not counting tires, because even with a different truck you'd need tires. For $166 you can buy any of the other trucks basically. Throw in selling your slash and the proceeds of that plus your $166........
Old 06-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ridepate
Some of you fanboys crack me up............If not for the Slash, SCT would be where??? Probably not even heard of .....Is it an out of the box racer?? No, of course it's not.
It takes something called SKILL to make it a competitive racer. Sure, it takes a wallet-load of parts to get there and a lot more time and finesse to get set-up. In the end, there really won't be much Slash left.
The satisfaction-level of putting a pure, clean , A$$-chapping on "Mr. High-Dollar" (we all know him) with what you call a Slash.............Priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just because it was the first SC truck, doesn't mean it is a good SC truck.

The Model T revolutionized the Automobile industry, because it was the first mass produced vehicle, and yet we don't roll in Model T's because they don't live up to today's standards. The slash was a cool vehicle in years past, but things change, and sometimes it does pay to keep up with the trend rather than try and go against it. You can polish a turd, but that doesn't make it a diamond lol

Keep the slash for bashing, and get a track truck. Don't buy tires until you know which ones work best at your local track. All you have to do is ask someone working there which tires work best.

And for 2wd mod, you don't really need a 50c lipo pack. Venom has 30c lipo packs that are considerably cheaper. Ive even run a boosted 9.5 lrp motor with one of their 20c packs, and it ran great.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just get the right tires, have different shock oils and springs and see how far that will take you; once you have exhausted all of the slashes tuning capabilities then upgrade. Its off-road club racing 90% of it is tires and driver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.