Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO) >

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
Hey Frank, one thing that I forgot to mention is that I never did switch to the 2.0 buggy axles. I am still running the stock axles.

Will going to the 2.0 axles on the truck (with no shim) have a similar effect as it did on the buggy when I went from running the shim to not running the shim?

actually let me rephrase that. Will it have as significant of an effect? I felt on the buggy this was a huge change.
Bob, did you find the buggy was looser w/out the shim? I've always run mine w the shim b/c i like lots of rear traction. I'm going to try the SCT w/out it as Frank recommended. Just curious your thoughts.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by darkstar1974
Bob, did you find the buggy was looser w/out the shim? I've always run mine w the shim b/c i like lots of rear traction. I'm going to try the SCT w/out it as Frank recommended. Just curious your thoughts.
when I removed the shim from the buggy, it immediately locked the rear end in. It was by far the biggest change I have made in the car. You could get on the gas quicker and power out of the turns harder. You get the feel of increasing rear Toe without having to do that. (make sense?)

Second biggest is A vs D camber link.

Springs, oils, pistons... they all make changes (obviously) but honestly there are so many combinations that feel good. And when you look at the variations in setups, you will see that everyone is in the same ball park for oils, pistons, and springs. Maybe a half weight difference here or there, one step softer spring here or there, etc.

When I changed from 1-A to 1-D, my car rotated significantly less and gave a more confident feel when driving. If the surface is high bite, I tend to leave 1-A on. If the grip is anything less than high bite, I usually go with 1-D so that I can give the car a little more locked in feel.

now I know that the link choices we run on the truck are different, but the mechanics behind them aren't. If you want more rotation in the turns, go 1 step shorter, etc.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:24 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Spork
Frank,

I run 17.5 blinky on an indoor track with low to medium traction. Track temps tend to be in the 30s (maybe 40s, if we're lucky) at this time of year.

Are there any changes you'd recommend to your 2014 set-up?

Thanks!
I haven't run a spec class since the motors had brushes , so I might defer to setup changes for that class, same with the colder temps.

Usually, when the temps get colder, you need to go to a softer oil, not sure if it'll be down 2.5 front and rear or 5wt. I would need to feel that on the bench.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

when I removed the shim from the buggy, it immediately locked the rear end in. It was by far the biggest change I have made in the car. You could get on the gas quicker and power out of the turns harder. You get the feel of increasing rear Toe without having to do that. (make sense?)

Springs, oils, pistons... they all make changes (obviously) but honestly there are so many combinations that feel good. And when you look at the variations in setups, you will see that everyone is in the same ball park for oils, pistons, and springs. Maybe a half weight difference here or there, one step softer spring here or there, etc.

When I changed from 1-A to 1-D, my car rotated significantly less and gave a more confident feel when driving. If the surface is high bite, I tend to leave 1-A on. If the grip is anything less than high bite, I usually go with 1-D so that I can give the car a little more locked in feel.

now I know that the link choices we run on the truck are different, but the mechanics behind them aren't. If you want more rotation in the turns, go 1 step shorter, etc.

Bob, what shim are you guys talking about, I think i missed something somewhere.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by WIGMAN
Bob, what shim are you guys talking about, I think i missed something somewhere.
on the 22 2.0 buggy axles, there is a 1 or 2 mm shim (I forget) that slides over the axle. It spaces the axle further inboard towards the transmission. If you remove it, you add grip. We run without it 90% of the time in the buggy.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

on the 22 2.0 buggy axles, there is a 1 or 2 mm shim (I forget) that slides over the axle. It spaces the axle further inboard towards the transmission. If you remove it, you add grip. We run without it 90% of the time in the buggy.
Thank you sir.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tranny lift

So I was trying to do the 1mm tyranny lift, and while on a rear mount it is straight forward, trying to do a mid motor mount has me scratching my head. Does the mid motor even need it, if so do I need more spacers as I see 3 trans mounting spots on mm setup
Old 02-27-2014, 05:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Thanks Bob. That's the feel i'm looking for. I'm going to remove it from my 2.0 buggy and see what happens. Just waiting on some of the parts to finish up w the SCT re-build. Looking forward to trying out this new setup. Need to get it dialed in before the Showdown next month.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nisstyre
So I was trying to do the 1mm tyranny lift, and while on a rear mount it is straight forward, trying to do a mid motor mount has me scratching my head. Does the mid motor even need it, if so do I need more spacers as I see 3 trans mounting spots on mm setup
You have to be very careful when lifting trannies! They are heavier than they look.

Sorry, had to.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:52 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

IF you're lifting the trans in mid motor to gain more grip you maybe better off going back to rear motor...
Old 02-27-2014, 07:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by darkstar1974
Thanks Bob. That's the feel i'm looking for. I'm going to remove it from my 2.0 buggy and see what happens. Just waiting on some of the parts to finish up w the SCT re-build. Looking forward to trying out this new setup. Need to get it dialed in before the Showdown next month.
I think you'll like it. I was going to try to make it up to RCE for the Showdown but I don't think it's in the cards.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yes you need to shim it in all 3 spots, I have never run them in MM, If your gonna try Franks set-up you won't need them, I have his new set-up on both my MM and RM trucks, they are dialed.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

So a little update. I cleaned up the body mounting a bit and moved the cage and body back.

This is the old spacing at the back of the cage.

Here is the new spacing. Seems much better, looks cleaner to me. I now have front body mounts from the xxx-scb.

Here are the front body mounts on the front tower.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hi guys. This question has probably been answered before, but I've searched many pages without finding an answer. I just ordered my 22SCT with a handful of recommended upgrades, however I ordered the 2.0 2mm Aluminum front spindle set without checking if it will properly fit, or whether it comes with the kingpins like the older 4mm set?
Old 02-27-2014, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 204 (100%+)

looks good Casey, wonder if MNRC will allow them to run in the series

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.