Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I would throw an 18 on there.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yeah its not hot just feels weird running a monster pinion thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

i just bought two of the trinity 4cells like the one on stormers home page. one has a bad cell after a few runs.guess we will see how customer service is? sr
Old 10-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by superslow
Im running a tekin 1900 rx8 i could use a little more top end on the straights im already at a 17 tooth, but for a battery im running a 20 run gens ace would a good 4s pack help enough and any good deals out there on 4s pack i was looking at that one on stormers home page

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-ROAR-Approved
Old 10-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Slightly off topic, but here's an ESC temp and performance question.
We recently decided to try a long race combining nitro and electric at a club race. It was going to be 20 minutes, but we decided just prior to make it only 15.

My electronics setup on the EB48 is a 5200mah/60c, Tekin T8 1900 w/18t, Castle MMP, Castle BEC for no-brand servo and rx.

I knew going into this that I would have to be easy on the throttle to attempt to make a 20 minute main, and even though it was now only 15 minutes, I went in with that mindset. So, I was generally conservative in getting on power and did more constant lower power instead of blips of power in portions of the track where I could. With about 7 or so minutes to go, just as the nitros were starting to pit, I noticed a lack of power. I couldn't get the punch to clear jumps I normally do, and had to alter my line. By the end of the race, I couldn't clear the 8th scale tripple anymore unless I had a run up to it (normally I can do it from about 2 and a half feet).

I figured the battery must've faded faster than I thought, or that I'd gotten some binding someplace during the run and gotten the motor way to hot. What I found though, was quite different. The motor came off at 130 and the battery at only 90...but the ESC was 170. I also took far less voltage out of the battery than I'd thought, as it was still at 7.84v.

The MMP is set to not do timing changes and generally fairly conservative (since everything was originally set up for all day practice runs...which I haven't had a chance to do yet...though I've had several runs of a full pack without much fading until the last 2 laps).

Any thoughts? Is this due to the change in driving style (which the EB48 really liked)? The esc fan was working and generally after a normal 6 or 8 minute run I'm at normal temperatures for the ESC and about 5-10 degrees warmer for the batt and motor.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by justpoet
We recently decided to try a long race combining nitro and electric at a club race. It was going to be 20 minutes, but we decided just prior to make it only 15.

My electronics setup on the EB48 is a 5200mah/60c, Tekin T8 1900 w/18t, Castle MMP, Castle BEC for no-brand servo and rx.

I knew going into this that I would have to be easy on the throttle to attempt to make a 20 minute main, and even though it was now only 15 minutes, I went in with that mindset. So, I was generally conservative in getting on power and did more constant lower power instead of blips of power in portions of the track where I could. With about 7 or so minutes to go, just as the nitros were starting to pit, I noticed a lack of power. I couldn't get the punch to clear jumps I normally do, and had to alter my line. By the end of the race, I couldn't clear the 8th scale tripple anymore unless I had a run up to it (normally I can do it from about 2 and a half feet).

I figured the battery must've faded faster than I thought, or that I'd gotten some binding someplace during the run and gotten the motor way to hot. What I found though, was quite different. The motor came off at 130 and the battery at only 90...but the ESC was 170. I also took far less voltage out of the battery than I'd thought, as it was still at 7.84v.

The MMP is set to not do timing changes and generally fairly conservative (since everything was originally set up for all day practice runs...which I haven't had a chance to do yet...though I've had several runs of a full pack without much fading until the last 2 laps).

Any thoughts? Is this due to the change in driving style (which the EB48 really liked)? The esc fan was working and generally after a normal 6 or 8 minute run I'm at normal temperatures for the ESC and about 5-10 degrees warmer for the batt and motor.
what your describing is the battery flatting out. i have sum that are zippy from begining to end and sum that are zippy for the first half or so and then tapper off. i have had several that will go the distance but will not be zippy at all.most often the battery will never be the same once it is like that. i to am running the mmp esc and the cut off temp is right at 179. the esc will cut at approx 179 and not return till it cools down. i think the symtoms you are describing are batt.sr
Old 10-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Lord

When the battery tapers off hard and after not so long, the cells are on there way out. The ir of the cells is high and voltage drop off is drastic. After a 7 minute race, my voltage is right around 7.95 to 8 volts. If your ir is high, your peak voltage will drop off after a minute or so and will feel flat. This is common for inexpensive packs. You get what you pay for most of the time. Unless you get into some of that 100c nonsense.lol then you are paying for the changed label on a 60 or 65 c pack.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Tech Lord

If your at 7.8 volts, its not the battery. Sounds like a motor or speedo issue.. Being the speedo is so hot, i would focus on it. Maybe go through the settings on it and make sure nothing is funky.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Make sure you have the latest firmware on the MMP... I had some weird issues (suspect they were heat related) about the 7 min mark with a MMP and 2 MMM's... latest firmware appears to have fixed the issue.

Food for thought: Your change in driving style was likely the cause of higher ESC temp... ESC' work best (most efficient) at full throttle, when you limit use of full throttle, you cause higher ESC temp. This is why ESC makers will tell you to gear down or get lower kv motor rather than limit throttle endpoint. As an example: I had a 1/18 truck with brushless system and Nimh batts; it would run pack after pack doing speed runs, jumps, burnouts and generally just tearing it up outside, and the temps were always about 130, on motor, ESC and battery. If I ran it in the house, where I could not use much full throttle, my motor and battery temps were about 20 - 30 degrees lower and the ESC temp would rise 20 - 30 degrees.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Just got one of these in the mail today, plan on racing with it this Wednesday, will give feedback on it's performance.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni
Just got one of these in the mail today, plan on racing with it this Wednesday, will give feedback on it's performance.
Yeah give some feedback on that pack please seems like a fair price thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni
Keep an eye on the battery temps. Thats a pretty low C rating. I really dont like using anything under 50C. Heat is not my friend.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
If your at 7.8 volts, its not the battery. Sounds like a motor or speedo issue.. Being the speedo is so hot, i would focus on it. Maybe go through the settings on it and make sure nothing is funky.
7.8 at rest, but what was the voltage under load? If the batteries have gone flat, and the voltage is sagging the current draw will go up causing more heat. Either way something is up. Try one of your friends good packs and drive the same way. See what happens.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

It does look awesome, and I'd like to get to another good track, but alas, tis an 8 hour drive. Someday, perhaps next year, I do plan to head down to visit around LA...so I'll definitely try to do so then.
Speaking of nice tracks, I just got back from Chico and the new A Main Hobbies outdoor track is sweet! Top tier in all aspects from high-in-the-sky drivers stand, covered pit area, bleachers for spectators, even lights for running at night. Track looked like fun, but couldn't play as nitro worlds warm-up was happening.

Well worth the 3ish hour trip from the SF bay area. And I am always impressed w/ A Main customer service. I went to the shop looking for a super short sensor wire to finish up the EB48 and without a thought the guy working tossed me one for free!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Just raced last weekend and the car did very well even thought it was its first maiden race. I can push the car harder than my xray giving me good lap times. However, on one heat I got an issue where my rear pinion bearing (inner) blew up destroying the diff case. Crown and pinion still usable though. I just want to ask whether this was caused by me removing the center chassis brace cause I couldnt get the right mesh with the spur. Or the 5x11x4 bearing is just small and would require regular maintenance. But Over all I am happy with the EB 48

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.