Like Tree34Likes

RC10B4/T4 Forum

Old 06-28-2010, 03:21 PM
  #12946  
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default Ft nose weight

More weight on ft end steers less because the more mass you have, the more force you will need to change the direction it is moving.



However on a 1/10th off-road you also can find wheelie's or the ft end off the ground on high traction conditions .
Weight here helps keep the nose down and also can help on power steering..


The extra off power steering you fine on High traction also gets smoothed out as well .

Usually only use weight on the ft if your racing on very high traction conditions..

If your racing in those conditions try 1/2 oz to 1oz max on the nose.


More weight on the rear ?

Means more traction, more force pushing the rear tires onto the surface...
Also
makes more steering as the weight transfer sends more weight to the ft tires pushing um down more.



BobbyZ ,

Test & use what you feel is best for you ....

a rule I live by....

Just trying to hand you a short cut to success
Wild Cherry is offline  
Old 06-28-2010, 03:27 PM
  #12947  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Razathorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,072
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Another thing I've noticed, but never tried on a b4 because I haven't felt the need, is that moving the rear hubs back, while it is can degrease low speed steering and increase stability, tends to give some on power steering because it moves more weight forward of the rear axle, causing the car to keep the front pushed down more when accelerating.
Razathorn is offline  
Old 06-28-2010, 06:48 PM
  #12948  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (85)
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,792
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Just like in the instructions Dave .

Either way , longer link or taller stud makes more traction ...

Dave , I've been running off the road 3 or 4 days a week @ two indoor tracks..

No Nitro this year however, just Electric 1/10th.....

Yes , I'm a official track rat
I know the instructions say that, I have always experienced the opposite concerning rear ball stud height on the back. If my car oversteers into the turn and everything else is good, taking out an .030 gives me more sidebite in the rear.

The reason that more weight in back creates more "steering" is that the extra weight overwhealms the rear tire's sidebite. It's not really steering, it's like taking away rear sidebite. It does seem to help forward bite and stability on power but with the newer lightweight setups I haven't seen any need to put it there.
Davidka is offline  
Old 06-28-2010, 07:33 PM
  #12949  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 220
Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default

What rear locknuts are you guys using on ur b4/t4??? mine are always coming after a 6min run... im using the FT blue ones and they dont last
Elies12 is offline  
Old 06-28-2010, 07:41 PM
  #12950  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (184)
 
pink_sleeve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Planet Melmac
Posts: 4,894
Trader Rating: 184 (99%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Elies12 View Post
What rear locknuts are you guys using on ur b4/t4??? mine are always coming after a 6min run... im using the FT blue ones and they dont last
Use the stock steel ones like on the RTR cars
pink_sleeve is offline  
Old 06-28-2010, 08:09 PM
  #12951  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
DaveW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,966
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

On a loose dirt surface, ballstud changes arent very noticeable, except for loss/gain of stability through ruts and over jumps. The grippier the surface, then the greater the effect felt with link length and height changes for roll control. This is why you feel the changes are the opposite for each surface type, and why the link adjustment description in the manual is very simple and to the point.

IMO, nothing locks in the rear like toe/squat and shock setup... combined with a great choice of tire/insert. I use the ballstud adjustments to fine tune how the buggy/truck feels loaded in corners and dynamic off camber jumps/landings.

I have always run lead in the nose, even back in the day with the custom solder filled bulkhead for the B3/T3. I love the front to feel planted, and it really helps when you pour on the power.

The lead next to the batteries never really seemed to make a difference to me with 6 cell setups. 7 grams each side that close to the mass weight of the battery? Really? If thats the case, then all of our T4/B4's are seriously affected (on one side) by the extra weight from the extra wire it takes to run brushless setups. Oh, dont forget the huge fan on the speedo too...
DaveW is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 12:32 AM
  #12952  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (49)
 
Armaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,149
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Anyone get their hands on the new V2 shocks?
Armaan is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 02:02 AM
  #12953  
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post

The reason that more weight in back creates more "steering" is that the extra weight overwhealms the rear tire's sidebite. It's not really steering, it's like taking away rear sidebite. It does seem to help forward bite and stability on power but with the newer lightweight setups I haven't seen any need to put it there.
Car behaves like a teeter totter , when car decelerates the weight in back is transferred to the ft . Thus more rear weight = more off power steering...
Wild Cherry is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 03:16 AM
  #12954  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (6)
 
lem2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: OC
Posts: 3,061
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default New Shocks

New Shocks for my B4!!
Attached Thumbnails RC10B4/T4 Forum-photo-2010-06-29-01.27.jpg   RC10B4/T4 Forum-photo-2010-06-29-01.27-2.jpg   RC10B4/T4 Forum-photo-2010-06-29-01.28.jpg  
lem2 is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 04:52 AM
  #12955  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (15)
 
RC10B4_Mafco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 402
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

your B4 looks very interesting with the whole tranny/motor switched around
RC10B4_Mafco is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 05:09 AM
  #12956  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (6)
 
lem2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: OC
Posts: 3,061
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RC10B4_Mafco View Post
your B4 looks very interesting with the whole tranny/motor switched around

you got me thinking there.......

hehehe mirror image
lem2 is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 05:19 AM
  #12957  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (85)
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,792
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Car behaves like a teeter totter , when car decelerates the weight in back is transferred to the ft . Thus more rear weight = more off power steering...
I disagree. I maintain that the weight in the rear loads the tires more laterally, making for less sidebite at that end. If the above were true then weight in the nose would have a more dramatic effect on steering than weight in the back but it doesn't, it makes a car push, I believe for the same reason.
Davidka is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 07:55 AM
  #12958  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Sticks
Posts: 234
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Elies12 View Post
What rear locknuts are you guys using on ur b4/t4??? mine are always coming after a 6min run... im using the FT blue ones and they dont last
I bought some at Home Depot. Used the same ones all winter. They hold tight and dont get loose.
Harry Sachs is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 08:45 AM
  #12959  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
Bobby Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,132
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Armaan View Post
Anyone get their hands on the new V2 shocks?
I can't find them in stock anywhere. Most online shops show end of June as when they will be available. Yup, it is the end of June and no shocks.

I wouldn't expect these to be out for another week or two at best. Hopefully I'm wrong. I have them backordered with my LHS. Hopefully I get a surprise in the next order.
Bobby Z is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 09:19 AM
  #12960  
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
I disagree. I maintain that the weight in the rear loads the tires more laterally, making for less sidebite at that end. If the above were true then weight in the nose would have a more dramatic effect on steering than weight in the back but it doesn't, it makes a car push, I believe for the same reason.



Huge difference in traction & steering if you remove or add the transmission weight Dave , easy to notice ...
Same for the ft weight ...

BDW

The light set-up demands extra weight on the transmission because it has a lot less side bite compared to a heavier car ....

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 06-29-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Wild Cherry is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.