Search
Like Tree55Likes

RC10B4/T4 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crashtest1
That is true, the lipo's are consistent, if you felt any kind of power drop on a lipo, that means time to pull over and charge. I can tell before my cutoff kicks in. I can no longer clear the quad or the double double quad rhythm section at my track plus the car loses top on the straight that enters our sweeper. The lipos are more consistent. If you are looking for an edge on the track, the only real edge they provide is the fact that when you practice you have to stop less to cycle packs. The longer you stay up in the stand and refine your techniques the better you will get.
If you are using a LRP speedo, the lipo cutoff MAY allow the battery to discharge to low, which it sounds like it is doing, your lipo is dumping, the battery cutoff should do just that, cut off the power when it hits 6.0 volts.
dumping a lipo can be dangerous and will/may damage the lipo. novak has a cutoff that can be added.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

6v cutoff is too low... the LRP is supposed to cut at 6.25 but I've never ran my batteries to cutoff, I think it's better for them. Everywhere I've been hearing 6.25. My lipos show when I start charging after a ten minute fan cooling that they have around 7.1-7.3ish so I think I'm good.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have the new "hardware 07 edition"lrp speedo and had it programmed for cutoff but never used it... I pull my car when It's not @ 100% output. I can tell because it doesn't clear the quads or pull the straight like it should. Should I pull it before that happens too? I got an uptimer on my controller I can use to time them precisely.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Hi guys, Just building a new factory team B4, the kit setup shows #1 pistons in all 4 shocks standard, but AE have given me 2x #1 pistons and 2x #2 pistons, has there been an update to the kit setup that they have not mentioned in the manual?

What setup piston wise are most of you guys running?
Old 12-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crashtest1
I have the new "hardware 07 edition"lrp speedo and had it programmed for cutoff but never used it... I pull my car when It's not @ 100% output. I can tell because it doesn't clear the quads or pull the straight like it should. Should I pull it before that happens too? I got an uptimer on my controller I can use to time them precisely.
I programmed my 2 cell cutoff into my GTB, not sure what it cuts off at though, presumably 6v. So I wanted to test it, ran the pack for ages, then all of a sudden on the sweeper it just stopped, came off at 6.4-5.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Tech Champion

6.0 6.25 doesn't matter, your described your battery dumping and that is past the cutoff. the 7 volt reading is a false reading, just like when you dead short a nimh battery take of off the tray, it will show voltage, i'm not saying DID damage just that damage can happen. i never have to cool my batteries after a run but i don't run then still they won't go. and a little secret, lipos like a little heat and accept a "better" charge when warm. hope that helps.
i only practice for 6-7 minutes at a time as that is how long a race is. in off road i don't think it matters that much as the tires don't really change with run time (only wearout) on my helicopters i use the timer on the transmitter, we start off at 5 minutes, then record the amount of mah that goes back in, then up it a little each time until we get to where were comfortable with it, for me, at $300.00 bucks a battery, 5 minutes is plenty.
(ps, transponder was sold)
Old 12-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JeromeB
I programmed my 2 cell cutoff into my GTB, not sure what it cuts off at though, presumably 6v. So I wanted to test it, ran the pack for ages, then all of a sudden on the sweeper it just stopped, came off at 6.4-5.
thats sounds like how it is suppose to happen, just shut down. i'm assuming you didn't get that dumping feeling?
Old 12-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

1's up front with 35 wt and a brown spring...unthread 2 full turns
2's in back with 25 wt and a green spring with 1 .060 shim internal.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Loverc
thx wild cherry!

BTW, my slipper is very tight right now for testing the brushless setup so I know its not coming from there

I cant believe I didnt see that step in the manual...did read it thru but I thought it had something to do with the programming

do you think this could be why my brushless system isnt running strong?? Novak says in the manual the 5.5 is like a 9-10T brushed and I'm WAY slower than a sluggish 10T mod, like I said especially on the torque side and I'm runnig a very safety gearing

Shame on me thought the GTB was like the A.I esc's and you didnt have to calibrate them anymore...

hopefully it will help, although on the first few runs the throttle response fell fine...perhaps the GTB didnt memorize what was the full throttle throw, hence poor acceleration

thx!!!

PS: How bigger a pinion can you go compared to the manual, especially whent its cold? what is the biggest pinion or FDR you've seen on a T4 or B44 with 5.5r brushless??
Running on a 1/8th scale track, want to keep up with the nitros just for the fun!
I've had to reset/redo the one touch setup on my gtb in my b4... after noticing it was a little slower than normal and I was hearing the drag brake...I run the default profile/no drag. ..this was after messing /w the TH ATV....After I reset the config the power was back and no drag brake. Not sure why the ATV did that but it did like me changing my ATV for some reason. This is the older nonlipo cutoff gtb.

I ran 6.5 in my b4 w/ a 18/84 or a 20/84 not sure but it was smoken down the 160 straight. I was about 1-2 seconds off the average 1/8 buggies times at this particular track.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cheers speedsterblade!!

I hope power/torque and speed will show up this time now the radio is calibrated and the battery has 2 cycles on it, so should give its peak performance now

Do you think a 5.5 is close to 9T or 10T brushed?

What about the 6.5 how is is rated??

thx guys, new to brushless
Old 12-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by skypilot
thats sounds like how it is suppose to happen, just shut down. i'm assuming you didn't get that dumping feeling?
No dumping as such so the car was crawling, it was noticably slower, maybe like dropping a tooth or 2 on the pinion but that was after a good 45 minutes of laps.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

If I slightly trim my GTB so that neutral is a very slight break, will this feel like a "Drag brake" effect? I dont feel like going to program it into the GTB, this way I can just do it through the 3PK as much as a feel like, if it works...
Old 12-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

loverc, if it turns out it wasn't the programming, it may be the battery connections. It is possible to get a cold solder joint that will allow operation of the car, but not flow much amperage(aka, allow much torque).

Is this possible? Unless your VERY good at soldering, it is something to check. The easiest way if you don't have a volt/amperage meter is to twist on the battery bars and see if they pull off the cells, usually on the negative ends. They should never pull off if soldered on with a nice wet connection.

Hope you get it sorted out.

...Jim
W.E.D.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Jim!

My soldering is fine, it was done by team guy who owns a lhs, the soldering is perfect not like when I do mine...

I really think its the batteries being new and never cycled and also the radio calibrating perhaps...

I have to wait two days before I cant see how the batteries fell like on their third (or 4th??) cycle...fingers crossed

BTW, love your paint jobs, might ask you a body for the T4 in a while, do you ship internationally (France)? thx!

Last edited by Loverc; 12-20-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default B4 help

I have a b4 and i'm going to put a gtb but the body doesn't seem to fit over it. Any advice on other mounting options would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks David

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.