Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

SC10 peeps, need some help. Want to put in a Savox 1267MG for steering duties, how many spacers on the mount do I run, if any.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by khshapiro
That is a fantastic idea! Better patent it quick! seriously brilliant idea. I ordered my exotech chassis a few day ago but I do not believe it will completely remove the drivetrain flex. I build a.modified version of your brace which completely eliminates the drive train flex. I am working on a cross brace to also help is torsional flexing . I just like taking chassis flex out of my suspension tuning equation.
No need to completely eliminate it IMO, just need enough to reduce it so the belt doesn't slip or jump the tensioner. Otherwise I like a little flex as it helps spread out the impact forces, breaking less stuff.

The exotek looks like it'd fix half of the flex. The rear flexes a ton because the webbing in the center just pushes down on the middle of the plastic center chassis which is very flimsy.

In front the biggest problem appears to be the stock upper brace. It sort of triangulates, but it only attaches to the chassis on the sides, so between that huge 5" span it flexes. The actual center chassis sides don't really flex.

I like the extra weight of the exotek, but it won't balance the truck really.

Now that I have a chassis brace installed, I'm going to add lead weights as needed to get the cornerweights equal. I don't need no fancy saddle packs or $100 chassis to do that.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D-A-N-4-4
What would a 32p 15t pinion be in 48p? Does 23t sound good?

Thanks,
Dan
Yes.

Just multiply by 1.5. So 15tooth is like a 22.5tooth in 48 pitch.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
No need to completely eliminate it IMO, just need enough to reduce it so the belt doesn't slip or jump the tensioner. Otherwise I like a little flex as it helps spread out the impact forces, breaking less stuff.

The exotek looks like it'd fix half of the flex. The rear flexes a ton because the webbing in the center just pushes down on the middle of the plastic center chassis which is very flimsy.

In front the biggest problem appears to be the stock upper brace. It sort of triangulates, but it only attaches to the chassis on the sides, so between that huge 5" span it flexes. The actual center chassis sides don't really flex.

I like the extra weight of the exotek, but it won't balance the truck really.

Now that I have a chassis brace installed, I'm going to add lead weights as needed to get the cornerweights equal. I don't need no fancy saddle packs or $100 chassis to do that.
Again,me personally I don't like any flex, id rather tune the suspension to take the impacts and bumps without factoring the unknowns of the chassis flex. Makes a more consistent and reliable truck. If I was worried about breakage id take up bird watching :-)
Old 11-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Hey,

I'm so pumped right now guys! I just got my drivetrain like butter! I bought this truck as a used roller and so far I haunt been able to drive it successfully yet. First I had clicker issues but I fixed that.

Next I started having my sun gears slip like a few other people getting clicks in and out of corners. So I opened it up and threw a shim under the sun gears and its now the most quiet smoothest drivetrain I've ever owned!

Thanks for all the help guys,
Dan
Old 11-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Default pinion help

I have a sc10 4x4 with lrp sxx V2 combo (7.5 turn motor). I bought it used and it currently has a 9t pinion and 62t spur. A lot of punch but pretty slow and gets very hot, should i do like 12t pinion and 58t spur?
Old 11-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mhannan7
I have a sc10 4x4 with lrp sxx V2 combo (7.5 turn motor). I bought it used and it currently has a 9t pinion and 62t spur. A lot of punch but pretty slow and gets very hot, should i do like 12t pinion and 58t spur?
how did you get the motor close enough to use a 9t , I have a hard enough time getting it.close enough with a 11t and a 62?

Keep the 62 just go up to a 14t or 15t
Old 11-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Tech Rookie

well bought it used, its 7.5 turn motor, shoukd i use 12 or 13 pinion
Old 11-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by D-A-N-4-4
Hey,

I'm so pumped right now guys! I just got my drivetrain like butter! I bought this truck as a used roller and so far I haunt been able to drive it successfully yet. First I had clicker issues but I fixed that.

Next I started having my sun gears slip like a few other people getting clicks in and out of corners. So I opened it up and threw a shim under the sun gears and its now the most quiet smoothest drivetrain I've ever owned!

Thanks for all the help guys,
Dan
What shims/size did you use? Did you shim both sun gears or just one side? Thanks.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by socalrcer
What shims/size did you use? Did you shim both sun gears or just one side? Thanks.

I used a traxxas wheel shim on one sun because these shims are thicker than most so one shim on one gear equals 1 smaller shim on BOTH sun gears. I can send a link if need be.

PS. Since i had some spare time Here's the link: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJJ88&P=7

I'm pretty sure these are the ones I used but someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

spent all day working on my truck. wish they had the center brace here at my lhs.

replaced a massively bent front cva. replaced belt, pulleys, rebuilt tensioners, replaced belt covers, tightened front servo down (was loose) and rebuilt rear shocks , oh yea that noise was my spur gear being chewed up, part of it was flat. replaced that, so now i'm good to go I think. This thing has insane top end speed now. also put weights in the side slots to help weigh her down.

my rear shocks dont spring up as good as the fronts for some reason. I replaced the oil in them. 25 wt all around.

Oh yea got rid of my homemade swaybars and installed some nice factory sways , yellow all around.

we will see what happens. I'll be glad if I can go all rounds without breaking or having any problems.

also got my 2wd going too.

Last edited by JEFFs SC10; 11-11-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10
spent all day working on my truck. wish they had the center brace here at my lhs.

replaced a massively bent front cva. replaced belt, pulleys, rebuilt tensioners, replaced belt covers, tightened front servo down (was loose) and rebuilt rear shocks , oh yea that noise was my spur gear being chewed up, part of it was flat. replaced that, so now i'm good to go I think. This thing has insane top end speed now. also put weights in the side slots to help weigh her down.

my rear shocks dont spring up as good as the fronts for some reason. I replaced the oil in them. 25 wt all around.

we will see what happens. I'll be glad if I can go all rounds without breaking or having any problems.

also got my 2wd going too.
If your cva was bent, make sure you check out that a-arm, good chance its also bent .
Old 11-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Here are a couple pictures of the exoteck chassis in my sc10 4x4.
Attached Thumbnails SC10 4x4 Thread-043.jpg   SC10 4x4 Thread-044.jpg  
Old 11-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SCAssociated
Here are a couple pictures of the exoteck chassis in my sc10 4x4.
how long did it take to do? how noticeable a difference is it driving?
Old 11-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10
how long did it take to do? how noticeable a difference is it driving?
It doesn't look like he has even run the chassis yet. I don't think it would be all that hard to do because you don't have to disassemble the front and rear bulks just take em off and switch your electronics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.