Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

that is where I would start, shimming could be off.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

1. Motor plate not in the notch on the chassis, causing a weird mesh?
2. Diff in wrong? There's a ridge on one side, only supposed to drop in one way...
Old 08-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
I too have had the same belt for 3 years now and have never replaced it. Its not stretched and it doesnt collect debris, thats what the covers are for!
The handling issues came from lack of center dif and the motor spinning the wrong way.
I bought my SC104x4 when they were still on Pre-Order everywhere. I only just replaced the original belt last week.....not because it was worn/broken, but because I had a spare belt and assume that since it is now discontinued, I will only really get another 3 years out of the truck before parts start getting hard to find.

As for the center dif issues, I recall someone selling a kit to remedy that....was the best upgrade I ever put onto the truck.

I think I even saw someone figured out a way to put an extra gear between the pinion and spur to take care of the motor rotation issue....but I think that was only a proof of concept.

At any rate, I'm glad AE thought outside the box with this truck....made me feel even better when everyone was ragging on it and then I started winning races (after the C-Dif upgrade).

Unfortunately, I really feel like AE is moving more towards Traxxas's business concept. The B5 looks like a great racing vehicle....but the 8.2 was a flop, the SC104x4 never really hit commercial success thanks to the issues that Mantis mentioned, when was the last update to a truggy from AE? 4 years ago? 5? The TC6.x is a good on-road car, from what I can tell....but everything they have is old....

I hope I am wrong....I have always loved what they have done, but unless something comes out soon for the RACER, AE may kiss that market segment goodbye. (though they will probably increase their profits by saying goodbye to racers....)
Old 08-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by BlueGlowBoy
I bought my SC104x4 when they were still on Pre-Order everywhere. I only just replaced the original belt last week.....not because it was worn/broken, but because I had a spare belt and assume that since it is now discontinued, I will only really get another 3 years out of the truck before parts start getting hard to find.

As for the center dif issues, I recall someone selling a kit to remedy that....was the best upgrade I ever put onto the truck.

I think I even saw someone figured out a way to put an extra gear between the pinion and spur to take care of the motor rotation issue....but I think that was only a proof of concept.

At any rate, I'm glad AE thought outside the box with this truck....made me feel even better when everyone was ragging on it and then I started winning races (after the C-Dif upgrade).

Unfortunately, I really feel like AE is moving more towards Traxxas's business concept. The B5 looks like a great racing vehicle....but the 8.2 was a flop, the SC104x4 never really hit commercial success thanks to the issues that Mantis mentioned, when was the last update to a truggy from AE? 4 years ago? 5? The TC6.x is a good on-road car, from what I can tell....but everything they have is old....

I hope I am wrong....I have always loved what they have done, but unless something comes out soon for the RACER, AE may kiss that market segment goodbye. (though they will probably increase their profits by saying goodbye to racers....)
Agreed!
WE have a new indoor track being built here locally so i will probably kick the dust off of mine and set it up for high bite.
A belt drive will cure the rotation issue and i will more than likey mess with that in the near future.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:43 AM
Tech Legend

Shark413 has a working setup of the counter gear. Sounds like its doing what is needed for the vehicle.

I am very curious to see if AE has anything up there sleeve for 4x4 SCT.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Sadly I don't see another 4x4 sc in their future. They will keep the prolite 4x4 to run against the slash. The market is just too small, and they have an 1/8th scale program that needs a major overhaul. I still have two FT trucks in a box in the closet though.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maddysdaddy
1. Motor plate not in the notch on the chassis, causing a weird mesh?
2. Diff in wrong? There's a ridge on one side, only supposed to drop in one way...

Surprisingly, it ended up being the spur gear. I strangely can't see any damage on the gear, but a brandy new one fixed the problemo, was back on the track and took the TQ this past week !!!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:23 AM
FAO
Tech Apprentice

Default SC 10 4x4 still in use

This is my first reply, i habe been reading a lot in this thread...

I´m rookie in rc racing sice May 2014, bought my Sc´s and was very satisfied with the quality and durability of them. (Run on loomy, dusty track in Germany, sometimes wet) SC are not build for blue groove, i assume. (but it is a lot of fun, to drive there, i heared)

After racing a few days, i still can´t keep up with the "pros" on our track. They drive Tekkno...and are a silly bunch of car crashers

What I like at TA´s SC:
1. The belt and the orientation of the motor
2. The lightweight
3. The thermoplastic parts quality

My wishes for the SC 10 4x4:

1. Belt cover made of carbon fibre for stiffnes
2. integrated middle- gear-diff, maybe with additional gear for rotating direction
3. stronger bearings in the axles

Please, Team Associated Thunder Tiger, keep up with the competitors!
And let me keep up with your brand.

Frank
Old 08-28-2014, 07:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

I am thinking of trying the Center Diff mod. On the RC Shocks web page, for the C-Diff, there is a note that says: “WILL NOT WORK WITH THE FT OUTER SLIPPER HUB”. I have the SC10 4X4 factory team kit. So I am assuming “FT” means “Factory Team. So what hub would I need to buy to make this work?
Second question:
The description clams it is 48 pitch, but the photo is clearly 32 pitch. And something about “Mod” pinion gears. They do not say what tooth number there spur gear is. Would like to know if I need to order a “Mod” pinion. Want to keep my gearing the same. My gearing right now is perfect for the track I run on. So do not want to change that. 32 pitch, 62T Spur, 13 T Pinion.
Again my truck is a stock SC10 4X4 Factory Team. Would just like to know what I need to order to make this work. Nothing worse than getting something, want to try it out, then need to order something else and wait.
I race on a Med to High traction clay track.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

They are referring to Mod 1 pitch. It's larger then 32p which is Mod .8 pitch. Used mostly with 1/8th scales and nitro powered vehicles.

http://teamnovak.com/shop/index.php?...roducts_id=131
Old 08-28-2014, 08:21 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by brian6674
I am thinking of trying the Center Diff mod. On the RC Shocks web page, for the C-Diff, there is a note that says: “WILL NOT WORK WITH THE FT OUTER SLIPPER HUB”. I have the SC10 4X4 factory team kit. So I am assuming “FT” means “Factory Team. So what hub would I need to buy to make this work?
looking at the team kit manual (not the FT), I believe this is the part # you need, please confirm first however with RC Shox:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZWK1&P=7

Part # 7485

Originally Posted by brian6674
Second question:
The description clams it is 48 pitch, but the photo is clearly 32 pitch. And something about “Mod” pinion gears. They do not say what tooth number there spur gear is. Would like to know if I need to order a “Mod” pinion. Want to keep my gearing the same. My gearing right now is perfect for the track I run on. So do not want to change that. 32 pitch, 62T Spur, 13 T Pinion.
Again my truck is a stock SC10 4X4 Factory Team. Would just like to know what I need to order to make this work. Nothing worse than getting something, want to try it out, then need to order something else and wait.
I race on a Med to High traction clay track.
You can buy the 62T spur in 32 pitch. RC Shox made a version of a spur gear in Mod1 pitch which is more durable than the 32 pitch and allows you to use Mod1 gears which are more popular with 1/8 scale vehicles and a lot of the other 4x4 SCTs out there like the Tekno SCT410 for example.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys!

Im a 2WD buggy guy. This is my first 4X4 so this gear pitch is new to me.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:09 AM
Tech Legend

no prob. its actually easier to set mesh and its more durable so definitely a plus.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default spares

I almost bought a complete kit as back up when Tower was blowing them out.

What spares would you keep on hand? Arms? Belt?

AE seems to keep stock for most of their discontinued kits so I may be jumping the gun on this.

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Tech Legend

what price were they blowing them out at?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.