Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
Because part of the additional weight in the raised part of the chassis (near B, see below) compared to the plastic one, compounded by the fact the sides are far away from the center of the chassis makes it makes even worse (again, see B below).

It might be small, but it's there (B), and it's worse than if it were, say, near or below (D). If it was all on the bottom (D or below) and in the center (between the two hinge-pins marked (C) it would be better all around and I wouldn't say that.

A lot of guys like the Exotec and use them, I am not one of them because I want to keep the weights in the middle. Certainly we disagree, but do you see why?

I'm in good shape today. Geo thinks I'm nuts for making the truck less failure prone and Marcus thinks I'm nuts because I think the weight in the Exotec isn't in the right place!

Only thing about that is the difference in body weight. negates all of that. I can run the EXO chassis and run a lighter body than you and end up with a lower COG? I think that is just splitting atoms at this point, there are just too many variables, what about the weight of the brace effecting your calculations? I understand your point but have you actually tried the EXO chassis? and on top of that the Losi's COG is about 2' higher than anything we have and yet it still is a great performer in most situations!! I have tried both and IMO it works better It has been proven time and time again that the lowest COG is not always the best scenario in offroad. on a loose track a higher COG works better, you can also compensate a high COG with your roll centers with ease.

To add to this i also run the tall saddle packs AND more weight added to the front of the chassis, and the truck is faster this way!! LOL

its all good man, different strokes for different folks!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Don't worry - AE will, and Geo will then claim it's the best thing to happen since cut bread.

He never did say why he thought it was a bad idea, other than I came up with it. Like I wrote earlier, it shouldn't matter. But since its come loose on everyone who's ran for any length of time, and since nobody ever uses the clicker, for a six dollar savings, I'm gluing mine.

Other than to save six bucks every now and then (anyone who knows me IRL understands I'm totally down with saving a buck), I haven't seen why it's a good idea not to.
Yea, i have mine glued together aswell. I noticed my truck clicking at the end of a qualifier, and sure enough, the nut had backed off. My last 2 laps were 8 seconds off pace if i remember correctly. Ya, no taking that chance again.

On a different note, i was installing the ft chassis brace and revised rear tower today and ran into an issue. The brace seems to be about 1.5mm too short, so when both ends are bolted down, it bowes the chassis a bit, and loosens the belt. Anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

Originally Posted by ilanstylz
I'm not agreeing with WC at all about the cliker, but taking weight away from the front is not a good thing IMO, the sc10 is already known to light as it is and be very tail heavy so lightening up the front is the last thing you'd wanna do.........
The only reason i was thinking that is you could always add the equivalent weight down at chassis level. Lower cg, or the illusion of it through suspension tuning seems to be the name of the game with this truck, so any little bit helps in my mind.

On a different note, I was installing my ft brace and revised rear tower today, and noticed the brace is about 1.5mm to short. When both ends are screwed down, the belt loosened considerably, and there is no front to back movement in the center belt tunnel piece. Do the ends of the brace just simply thread on? I tried to twist one side as if i were going to unthread it, but it wouldn't budge. Does anyone have an idea what the issue could be?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FORT-26
I understand that all the trucks are competitive, but why is your truck better than the LOSI or KYOSHO? From what I've seen at the local tracks, the LOSI seems to be dominant. WHY?

I currently run a 2wd SC10, and love it, but I don't want to buy a 4x4 SC10 and consistantly get smoked by a LOSI or KYOSHO....

It seems that the 2wd SC10 is fairly dominant, but the 4wd is not....????
Losi may seem more dominant locally because a) your local tracks are all big blown-out 8th scale motocross jumpfests or B) your local fast guys didn't want to wait for the SC104x4. The losi has been around a while longer, and is basically an 810 with nerd bars and bumpers instead of a wing....or possibly c) your LHS doesn't carry much AE stuff (i know mine doesn't)

Big, loose, outdoor 8th scale tracks favor the losi.
Small, grooved, 10th scale tracks favor AE.

Guys used to driving 8th scale buggies may favor the losi. If you love driving the 2wd, I think you'd prefer the AE. I run both the 2wd and the 4wd, and typically finish in the middle of the A. I like the AE truck. It rewards clean, smooth driving, just like the 2wd. Our local track is a well balanced outdoor track that pics up a decent groove, so both AE and Losi work equally well. It all comes down to driver.

I also like it because I have access to the brains of MTK, Mantis, Craig, and others around here. Plus Coyote and Cherry make me laugh.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RichyRich
I could be wrong... I'm not a rocket scientest
Nor am I - I was trained as an accountant. Maybe I can use that here.

http://thunderpowerrc.com/G6ProRace6...oBatteries.htm

TP3800-2SPR65S 3800mAh 2-Cell/2S Shorty 212 grams EACH
TP5000-2SPR65S 5000mAh 2-Cell/2S Saddle 280 grams BOTH

So, 144 grams extra, 77 grams each side and sort of far away from the COG. You are getting some extra capacity if you are close to dumping, but most users don't have that problem.

Assuming you don't need the capacity and its just extra ballast where you don't need it.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by jsamarin
A used worn out locknut will come loose though, and why are you so against the ca'ing when the truck is fastest with full time 4wd. No one i have met or talked to thought the clicker was even a tuning option for them....more of a burden.

I sorta wish that ae would come out with a clicker delete front pulley and top shaft. It would take weight away high up on the truck, which is never a bad thing

Appreciate the fact if you used a worn out
nut and then it could come loose .....

Replace the thing, not glue more betta ....

The clicker is most use full !

can be a become a advantage on certain
track conditions
Old 04-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Only thing about that is the difference in body weight. negates all of that.
I'll take the Pepsi challenge on that one.

What's your body weigh?

I can run the EXO chassis and run a lighter body than you and end up with a lower COG?
That's true, but I have went to a ton of trouble to get the weight out of my body. It's really, really a big deal in my 2w.

I think that is just splitting atoms at this point, there are just too many variables, what about the weight of the brace effecting your calculations?
I can't imagine it being more than 15 grams, I'll weigh it next time it's off the truck.

I understand your point but have you actually tried the EXO chassis?
No, and I'm not going to.

and on top of that the Losi's COG is about 2' higher than anything we have and yet it still is a great performer in most situations!!
Only if you have a track that rewards you for being hammer down. At the local indoor track that just opened, they are slugs in the corners and have real durablity problems.

I have tried both and IMO it works better It has been proven time and time again that the lowest COG is not always the best scenario in offroad.
You tried strapping a 2" wide 5 oz ballast to the bottom front of your plastic chassis?

on a loose track a higher COG works better, you can also compensate a high COG with your roll centers with ease.
I agree.

To add to this i also run the tall saddle packs AND more weight added to the front of the chassis, and the truck is faster this way!! LOL

its all good man, different strokes for different folks!
True dat, sir. True dat.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Nor am I - I was trained as an accountant. Maybe I can use that here.

http://thunderpowerrc.com/G6ProRace6...oBatteries.htm

TP3800-2SPR65S 3800mAh 2-Cell/2S Shorty 212 grams EACH
TP5000-2SPR65S 5000mAh 2-Cell/2S Saddle 280 grams BOTH

So, 144 grams extra, 77 grams each side and sort of far away from the COG. You are getting some extra capacity if you are close to dumping, but most users don't have that problem.

Assuming you don't need the capacity and its just extra ballast where you don't need it.
So if what your saying is correct, and you DO know a heck of alot more than I do about this truck than i do thats a given... Then I would be much better off with the 1s saddle packs in line vs side by side?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Mizchief
I run hard-cased for my own benefit. I've seen too many planes crash and burn after lawn-darting into the ground. I've got $800 worth of equipment rolling on that truck and I would cry to see it all get destroyed due to a lapper t-boning me.
I've piled numerous helicopters into the dirt with no flames...from what I see, the batteries are far more protected inside this chassis than on any of my planes or helis.

Jay.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by jsamarin
hey jay, nice to see someone local interested in this truck........seems like no clubs on the island care about running hard case batterys for racing, however, i have run both saddles and stick packs in my truck, and there is minimal difference. Do you plan to come race in nanaimo any time during the summer?
I'll definitely be looking into it! At the moment, I'm running saddles...

Jay.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cameron Kellogg
Maybe because the weight is spread out all over. I was also testing the +8 rear tab. The truck was better on this track with the taller rear camber link.

yea that is what i was asking about. the +8 rear tab. did ya raise the inner also ??
Old 04-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Fred_B
So in the real world we change part numbers if the update effects "fit form or function". Not changing the part number when there is new old stock in the pipeline is stupid. It's wrong.

That being said, if you get the wrong cover call Associated and they'll send the correct part.
Unfortunately I am sitting in germany, I doubt they'll send it over here.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Appreciate the fact if you used a worn out
nut and then it could come loose .....

Replace the thing, not glue more betta ....

The clicker is most use full !

can be a become a advantage on certain
track conditions
When is the clicker an advantage? Just wondering..I'm new to the SC10..
Old 04-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by twisted
yea that is what i was asking about. the +8 rear tab. did ya raise the inner also ??
My order did not show up Friday so I could only go 5mm on the inside. The rear tab I made had a hole farther out than the upside down "C" hub most have been running. It was real good! Unfortunately the material I used sucked and I broke one in the first qual. Changed to back to a "C" hub style and it was not good coming off of corners.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Gotta tell ya that I ran the center diff today for the first time, all I can say is unreal!

Made the truck a dream to drive today. Best modification I have made to any rc rig ever!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the big rc
Gotta tell ya that I ran the center diff today for the first time, all I can say is unreal!

Made the truck a dream to drive today. Best modification I have made to any rc rig ever!
Yep SC10 4w RCShox center diff trucks took first and second today at our club race. Hard packed track with loose dirt, just easier to drive than the other guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.