Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Vegatron75
The $170 price tag isn't outrageous, IMO. It's a great radio and comes w/ the dang near top of the line rx. The good thing is that you can use the FHss-2 rx's which are cheaper, around $50 or so new.

The spektrum stuff has a cheaper feel to it, IMO. Plus all the problems w/ brown-outs are not cool. I know that there are fixes for that stuff, but you'll still have extra stuff on the truck that's not needed in other cases.

The dx3r is $250 w/o a rx. $339 w/ a rx. Spektrum has cheaper radios than the MX3X, but they're not a nice as the airtronics. IMO.

The dx3c doesn't look to bad, it's priced right and if your willing to deal w/ the weak bec/ strong servo/ spektrum rx problems that come up it's ok.

There's a ton of Spektrum radios around the tracks I go to. So they must be ok. ALthough, none of the "pros", are running them.

I'd recommend the MX3X to anyone racing.
What BEC problems are caused by the RX? If your pulling more power than the BEC can handle the BEC drops voltage which would affect any electronic device in that loop that needs the required voltage.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chad Smith
Well if you are talking about the "pros" on the AE team then no, but some of the pros on other teams are running spektrum radios.
I'm talking about the "pros" at the local track. The guys that are being sponsored or could be sponsored. It's all KO, futaba, MX11's and the such.

Not hating on Spektrum, I didn't want to use spektrum, but that was just me. So after trying different radios, looking around at what others are using and the most important, budget. I settled on the MX3X.

I've seen/read about alot of problems w/ Spektrum, this was while I was learning to fly RC. I use a Futaba 72mhz old school radio for my planes. Brownouts on the ground are one thing, brown out an airplane and it's most likely a total loss.

So, my airplane experience led me away from Spektrum, and after watching quite a few people deal w/ Spektrum/Castle/Savox issues, I stayed away........
Old 01-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mizchief
What BEC problems are caused by the RX? If your pulling more power than the BEC can handle the BEC drops voltage which would affect any electronic device in that loop that needs the required voltage.
The spektrum rx seems to use more juice than others. It really seems to be more of a combo issue, like, castle/savox/spektrum.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chad Smith
Well if you are talking about the "pros" on the AE team then no, but some of the pros on other teams are running spektrum radios.
Yeah...but they're mostly Horizon-sponsored drivers. Everybody else seems to use an M11 or 3PK/4PK or something else that is not a Spektrum.
I've seen/read about alot of problems w/ Spektrum, this was while I was learning to fly RC. I use a Futaba 72mhz old school radio for my planes. Brownouts on the ground are one thing, brown out an airplane and it's most likely a total loss.

So, my airplane experience led me away from Spektrum, and after watching quite a few people deal w/ Spektrum/Castle/Savox issues, I stayed away........
The one thing ThunderbirdJunkie has noticed a lot about air brownouts, since plane guys don't typically use high draw servos like us, is it's usually caused by running a 4 cell Rx pack in a nitro plane. You don't hear of many guys that are running a 5 cell pack having issues. Plane guys seem to be stuck in the 70s with their 4 cell, 600mah NiCd Rx packs, no joke. ThunderbirdJunkie doesn't hear of many electric planes having these problems, but then again, the guys running the big power systems and such are running CC BECs and BEC Pros.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

The spektrum rx seems to use more juice than others. It really seems to be more of a combo issue, like, castle/savox/spektrum.
In that case its more of an issue of knowing what your power requirements are and building your system to handle it. If you drive a hummer you know that you are going to need a bigger engine and more gas to run it, than you would a prius.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie
Yeah...but they're mostly Horizon-sponsored drivers. Everybody else seems to use an M11 or 3PK/4PK or something else that is not a Spektrum.

The one thing ThunderbirdJunkie has noticed a lot about air brownouts, since plane guys don't typically use high draw servos like us, is it's usually caused by running a 4 cell Rx pack in a nitro plane. You don't hear of many guys that are running a 5 cell pack having issues. Plane guys seem to be stuck in the 70s with their 4 cell, 600mah NiCd Rx packs, no joke. ThunderbirdJunkie doesn't hear of many electric planes having these problems, but then again, the guys running the big power systems and such are running CC BECs and BEC Pros.

Most airplanes don't run massive servos, correct. ALthough they can run 4 or more smaller servos. With that many servos working at once and the problems seem to come up.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mizchief
In that case its more of an issue of knowing what your power requirements are and building your system to handle it. If you drive a hummer you know that you are going to need a bigger engine and more gas to run it, than you would a prius.
I don't know nothing..... other than Spektrum radios, feel like poop, look like poop, and seem to have problems when other don't like poop......

Here's more http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=116161
Old 01-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

I don't know nothing..... other than Spektrum radios, feel like poop, look like poop, and seem to have problems when other don't like poop......

To each his own I suppose. Like the post says, not enough juice for all the stuff on the loop.

Sorry, starting to get off topic at this point. Take away for this truck would be that it's going to be using a strong servo so make sure you got a BEC that will handle it, after that it's up to feel and budget.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

That is a ton of guys that have no clue how electricity works.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie
That is a ton of guys that have no clue how electricity works.
I doubt anyone in that forum signed up for a course in Electricity. Looked like a RC forum to me.....

People aren't looking to become engineers trying to figure out what's wrong w/ this stuff. I would imagine they just want it to work.....
Old 01-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Already 3 pages just about Spektrum radio "I like it" and "I don't like it". Maybe we move this subject here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/

and get back to specific info for the truck.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Use what works for ya, if it doesn't work for ya, use something else.

End of story.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Tech Legend

Get back on topic !
Old 01-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

So back to the diffs......
Has any one tried the bearing mod?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Not I, but I a curious about it. I know someone was messing around with making the bearings fit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.