Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey everyone, got a few questions for you Tekin & CC users.

1. I have an RX8 ESC and wanted to try it out with my CC 1415 that's from my MMP SCT combo. Anyone ever try this and experience cogging issues? I assume you can use 3S with no issues, correct?

2, I'll be purchasing the Sidewinder SCT combo for my Stampede 4x4 soon. I know some folks have tried using that motor (1410) with the RX8 ESC with no temp issues even with no current limiter. Any other setup suggestions with this motor?

Bottomline, I'm looking for a back-up motor for my SCTE. The combo I currently have on it is an RX8 with SC4X 5.5T. As some of you know, I overheated the motor once on the track. I've tested out the motor to see if it still runs and it does, which is good but I'm scared to overheat it again, which is why I'm looking for backup motors.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Clutches on electric motors don't work well. Electric motors produce torque in a very different way then nitro motors and I have not seen many people actually happy with there 8th scale tekno converions that used a clutch on there electric motors. Besides who wants to do clutch maintaince anyway.

If anything maybe a slipperential (slipper on the center diff) but with 4wd you should not really need a slipper as well. I ran all my 10th scale 4wd cars with locked or nearly locked slippers.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Addict

One other question for you guys with the RX8 SC4X combo. What is your limiter and timing advance settings at? I used the settings off Randy Pike's setup sheet which has his limiter at 80 and timing advance at 60. After a 10 minute practice session, my motor temp'd at 180-190. Should I set the timing advance much lower, and set the limiter to 85-90?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snowboardgeek1
Hey everyone, got a few questions for you Tekin & CC users.

1. I have an RX8 ESC and wanted to try it out with my CC 1415 that's from my MMP SCT combo. Anyone ever try this and experience cogging issues? I assume you can use 3S with no issues, correct?

2, I'll be purchasing the Sidewinder SCT combo for my Stampede 4x4 soon. I know some folks have tried using that motor (1410) with the RX8 ESC with no temp issues even with no current limiter. Any other setup suggestions with this motor?

Bottomline, I'm looking for a back-up motor for my SCTE. The combo I currently have on it is an RX8 with SC4X 5.5T. As some of you know, I overheated the motor once on the track. I've tested out the motor to see if it still runs and it does, which is good but I'm scared to overheat it again, which is why I'm looking for backup motors.
I gotta ask, what are or were your settings on your ESC controlling your 5.5T?

I'm currently running a 4.5T geared at 14/40 and my currently limiter at 90%. My temps have been between 145 and 155. For me, that's great and the speed is pretty darn good. I've been testing a 15/40 gearing with the current limiter at 80% and it's a little faster and the temps are between 145 and 155 again. Are you using drag brake?? That can cause heat issues and are you pushing your timing up, that too can lead to some heat problems on this setup.

I've read the best setups are the guys using the neu motors and RX8, it's a great combo and they can even gear higher and not have to deal with heat issues.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Casper
Clutches on electric motors don't work well. Electric motors produce torque in a very different way then nitro motors and I have not seen many people actually happy with there 8th scale tekno converions that used a clutch on there electric motors. Besides who wants to do clutch maintaince anyway.

If anything maybe a slipperential (slipper on the center diff) but with 4wd you should not really need a slipper as well. I ran all my 10th scale 4wd cars with locked or nearly locked slippers.
Just wondering, how well does the 8th scale truggys do with electric motor and esc heat with just a pinion, motor brakes, and 4 cells?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by arrtay
Just wondering, how well does the 8th scale truggys do with electric motor and esc heat with just a pinion, motor brakes, and 4 cells?
No heat issues what so ever on 1/8th scale truggy on 4s.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

This would be a great thread to ask that question.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...hread-443.html

These guys are working on all kinds of different setups. Just keep in mind that the motors kv dictates how many cells you should use.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by alvinsmith75
Wow, That makes things easy then! Lol!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snowboardgeek1
One other question for you guys with the RX8 SC4X combo. What is your limiter and timing advance settings at? I used the settings off Randy Pike's setup sheet which has his limiter at 80 and timing advance at 60. After a 10 minute practice session, my motor temp'd at 180-190. Should I set the timing advance much lower, and set the limiter to 85-90?
Wow!!! I would lower the timing advance setting. If you raise the current limiter to 85-90, you will get hotter sooner and also kill your run time. I have seen Randy Pike's setup so I can say but another question to ask, what was your gearing?? Also, which SC4x was he running 4.5, 5.5, 6.5 or 7.5.

The current limiter is located under your "Throttle" tab and the "Timing Advance" is located under the last tab. You need to do these settings on your computer via the Tekin Link.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alvinsmith75
not to stray too far here.. but this isn't scte related... tekno conversion thread would be a good place to start or 1/8 conversion thread.

I've been running e-truggy for a few years.. if you run pinion you wear your ENTIRE driveline (diffs,shafts,everything) faster and it will require more work than swapping the occasional clutch bearing a few times per season (yes thats the extent of the hard work that must be done to maintain a e-clutch). Maybe every year or two swap pads, they don't wear like nitro setups.

Running pinion only also puts a tremendous amount of stress on the motor and esc for braking and it will wear faster and you will have more issues. It will also run 10-20' hotter on motor brakes. Once you setup a mechanical brake setup you can go years without maintenance other than basic cleaning. I've run the same servo on my truggy brakes for 2yrs, same settings in bias.. really there isn't anything to do once setup.

Can you run pinion? yes it will work with out a doubt. You will operate as said 10-20' hotter than a mech brake setup, but it should stay under temp if setup properly, even on 4s lipo. I've run 4s,5s & 6s lipo.. I'm back at 4s with hyperion 6500mAH lipo's, I get as much run time as anyone with similar weight packs no matter the voltage.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:56 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default Ackermann bar

A few pages back, there was talk of an upgraded Ackermann bar. I've been using the SNR Ackermann bar for a couple months without any slop developing. One note is that you do not use the insert that is used on the stock Ackermann bar. Some have found that this insert can wear out and cause some slop.

So far, the SNR Ackermann bar has held up well and you can also save close to 5 grams (i know, not much weight at all but if you're one of those gram counters than it might matter). The weight in the pic is for the SNR short Ackermann bar since I have the long one installed in the truck. I haven't tried the short bar yet, since it may make the trucks steering almost uncontrollable, but when I have time I will test it out.
Attached Thumbnails Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread-snr_ackerman.jpg   Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread-stock_ackerman.jpg  
Old 04-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just thought I'd share a mod for those who aren't running shock boots on how to still keep a lot of dirt out

Old 04-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by FangsCPO
Wow!!! I would lower the timing advance setting. If you raise the current limiter to 85-90, you will get hotter sooner and also kill your run time. I have seen Randy Pike's setup so I can say but another question to ask, what was your gearing?? Also, which SC4x was he running 4.5, 5.5, 6.5 or 7.5.

The current limiter is located under your "Throttle" tab and the "Timing Advance" is located under the last tab. You need to do these settings on your computer via the Tekin Link.

Thanks for the reply back. According to Randy's setup sheet (which is located in the Tekin forums), he was running an SC4X 5.5 which is what I'm running. My gearing was set up at 15T.

I have the Tekin hotwire so no problem with making changes to the settings. What do you recommend for the current limiter and timing advance?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

hay casper are you comeing to the Short Course Nationals at R/C Madness
Old 04-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

I'm always looking for new product ideas. Here's the latest:

SCTE, TEN and 810 Titanium Hinge Pin sets.

The set will have 6 pieces: Front inner, Rear inner and Rear outer pins. The sets will sell for $30 plus shipping. The full set should shave about an ounce off the truck.

I've started a thread in the for sale section to gauge interest and answer questions.

Thanks,

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.