Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldschoolnewb
I am getting back into the hobby and have not yet bought anything yet. The last time I raced was about 20 years ago when I use to race a couple of 10 scale electric cars.

I have pretty much decided that I am going to race short course truck and that I am going to go the Ten-SCTE route. I have been spending a lot of time on here skipping around reading in this thread picking up as much as I can.

Here is where I am at right now with a decision I have to make. Since I am starting from scratch and have to buy everything, would it be better if I waited for the RTR version of this truck to come out and buy that instead of piecing it myself?

The losi package deal comes with a Losi speed control and a 2700kv 4pole motor. I know that the 2700kv 4 pole is going to get its ass handed to it with the strong competition I will be facing at the track I am going to race at (Coral Springs RC Car Club, Florida).

So obviously I will have to go with a stronger motor. I am leaning towards the Tenshock 401 4000kv. Do any of you Losi reps in this thread know if the Losi speed control would be up to the task of pushing the 4000kv motor without over heating?

Should I wait for the RTR or just start buying the components separate now?

Edit: Also, do you guys think there would be a market to sell the losi speed control and motor which would make the decision easier?
You should try out the new tekin 4pole thats coming out, they have a 3300kv, 4000kv, and 4600kv motor and keep hearing good things about that motor. Also the tekin rx8 esc is the way to go!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Got my hands on these today. Unfortunately, I don't have the inserts Part # LOSB4114
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...%2C-Adj/Detail yet and the shop at the track didn't have them in, so I couldn't put them on. I'll have to wait until next week to run them. But I thought you'd like to see a pic of them on the scale. Very well made pieces and I look forward to running them. They're also considerably cheaper than the Losi aluminum adjustable hinge pin holders. These are $39 for front and rear and the Losi's are almost that much just for fronts or just rears. So it's a nice option if you want the ability to adjust your toe/anti-squat etc. but don't want to shell out 70 bux to do it!

Nice! I see no mention of adjustable on snr's site yet this a new product, not on the site yet
Old 08-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Cult Racing
You should try out the new tekin 4pole thats coming out, they have a 3300kv, 4000kv, and 4600kv motor and keep hearing good things about that motor. Also the tekin rx8 esc is the way to go!
That looks like a great set up. However, I can't see spending twice the money on the Tekin combo when people are saying that the tenshock/rc8 combo is working so good. I am after a reliable, competitive bang for the buck set up.

On another note, I just did some research on the Speed control and motor that comes in the RTR. Apparently it is actually a rebranded Mamba Max Pro and Rebranded Castle 2800kv motor. Obviously those could be resold if I had to offset the cost of another set up. The alternative being the RC8/tenshock set up.

On the other hand, would the Mamba Max Pro / (Losi MSC-MXPRO) be able to deal with the 4000kv Tenshock motor?
Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That looks like a great set up. However, I can't see spending twice the money on the Tekin combo when people are saying that the tenshock/rc8 combo is working so good. I am after a reliable, competitive bang for the buck set up.

On another note, I just did some research on the Speed control and motor that comes in the RTR. Apparently it is actually a rebranded Mamba Max Pro and Rebranded Castle 2800kv motor. Obviously those could be resold if I had to offset the cost of another set up. The alternative being the RC8/tenshock set up.

On the other hand, would the Mamba Max Pro / (Losi MSC-MXPRO) be able to deal with the 4000kv Tenshock motor?
I have a Tenshock 4000KV that I used 1 time and I'll trade you for the stock motor in the RTR SCTE.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

8-32 x 3/8"

Originally Posted by A929ryda
Just got my bce chassis and about to start the build. I have one question a while back I remember reading that the motor mount need a shorter screw does anyone know the size of that screw or any other different screws?
Old 08-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mxr300ex
I have a Tenshock 4000KV that I used 1 time and I'll trade you for the stock motor in the RTR SCTE.
Send me a PM and when I finally get the kit I will shoot you one back and we can work it out. The kit is not due out until late september though, it is going to be a while.

Anyone on the MMP / tenshock combo?
Old 08-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I had a mmp with 4600 tenshock and didn't like it. First the mmp couldn't handle it that motor pulled too many Amps for it and the mmp was always hot like 150 with a 13t pinion and 160 with a 11t pinion at 54 spur. the tenshock with the mmp was inconsistent some times it gave too much power where I would over shoot a jump then sometimes under power where I would case the jump just wasn't smooth enough and had low end cogging. I went the cheaper way and got the sct 3800 combo way smoother almost no cogging I out the fan on the Esc and temps is 88 on my sc10 4x4 I figure on this truck your looking at 120-130
Old 08-27-2011, 12:04 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Send me a PM and when I finally get the kit I will shoot you one back and we can work it out. The kit is not due out until late september though, it is going to be a while.

Anyone on the MMP / tenshock combo?
The rtr is expected for the end of october, that's still two months away. Let's hope it won't be delayed! The kit motor will be geared higher then the tenshocks, and given their castle roots, the power should be there to be as fast or even faster.
Some people had problems with the MMP driving the tenshock, saying that it wants to draw too high current that the mmp has trouble supplying.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

my first painted body. also had to mod my novak heat sink can to fit around the outdrive and the motor tabs then installed a large novak fan
Old 08-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dtr
The rtr is expected for the end of october, that's still two months away. Let's hope it won't be delayed! The kit motor will be geared higher then the tenshocks, and given their castle roots, the power should be there to be as fast or even faster.
Some people had problems with the MMP driving the tenshock, saying that it wants to draw too high current that the mmp has trouble supplying.
Thanks for the info, with the RTR that far out I think I will just start piecing my own set up together. That is to long to wait. Here is what I have come up with so far to go along with the Losi ten-scte roller. I am going to do it backwards and buy the components first, then the truck. That way if I come across an already modded roller, I can snag that instead while I am compiling the rest of this stuff.

-Horizon Passport Ultra AC/DC charger? (is there a cheaper quality charger)
-RC8 / tenshock speed control motor combo
-DX3C DSM controller w/s300 reciever
-Savox SC-1268MC Servo or Spectrum 6040 Servo? (Do I need all the torque of the 1268?)

I am still kind of wondering how high end I need to go on the battery ratings. With that motor and esc combo that I plan on going with, would the 5000mah/50c Gens ace get the job done for 6 min mains?

Last edited by oldschoolnewb; 08-27-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:55 PM
dtr
Tech Master

-Savox SC-1268MC Servo or Spectrum 6040 Servo?

I am still kind of wondering how high end I need to go on the battery ratings. With that motor and esc combo that I plan on going with, would the 5000mah/50c Gens ace get the job done for 6 min mains?
That battery is more than enough for 6 mins.
The spektrum servo is suspiciously similar to the savox 1258tg, the only difference is the spline tooth count. The choice of servo is up to your driving stlye, I think the 6040/1258 is more popular, but the 1268 is also good, however I would use a longer aluminum servo arm with it, like this. The torque of the 1268 can be useful on very high bite surfaces.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:59 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 10sctrel0v3r
my first painted body.
I really like it!
Old 08-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Thanks for the info, with the RTR that far out I think I will just start piecing my own set up together. That is to long to wait. Here is what I have come up with so far to go along with the Losi ten-scte roller. I am going to do it backwards and buy the components first, then the truck. That way if I come across an already modded roller, I can snag that instead while I am compiling the rest of this stuff.

-Horizon Passport Ultra AC/DC charger? (is there a cheaper quality charger)
-RC8 / tenshock speed control motor combo
-DX3C DSM controller w/s300 reciever
-Savox SC-1268MC Servo or Spectrum 6040 Servo? (Do I need all the torque of the 1268?)

that battery is more than enough. also look at the Thunder AC6 charger on hobbypartz while you're looking at their batteries.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 179 (99%+)

Originally Posted by cwilkinson
Nice! I see no mention of adjustable on snr's site yet this a new product, not on the site yet
Just bought them from Steve along with Carbon Chassis. I contacted him directly, they are not on his site yet.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dtr
I think the 6040/1258 is more popular
Good deal, just looked and the 1258 specs out the same and is 20 bucks cheaper. That will work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.