Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Lesser the P (Parallel) the better, but using a 2s2p bat.. heheh coz its cheaper...(Turnigy).
Old 11-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Just to clarify, I am NOT saying the Losi ball cups are bad. Truthfully, I have no opinion on the Losi ones as this is my first race quality 1/10 2wd car. I actually was pretty impressed with the quality of the build of this car. Much better quality kit than the SCTE imho. The whole reason I bought the 22 was that it looked more robust and durable than competing brands.

My question was why ball cups are used on 1/10 vehicles instead of captured ends like on 1/8 cars. I always see a lot of DNFs for ball cups popping off at club races from fairly benign crashes and it seems like an unnecessary weak point. If the cups were captured, it is one less thing you have to worry about.

Is the ball cup to dissapate force from crashes and thus resulting in less actual vehicle damage? Is it that mfg's are just cheap? Do they peform better? Or is it just one of those "Always been that way" type of things...

Just curious.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hemi 426
Also, there is nothing in the way of the shock setups in the manual.After i assembled all mine, the shocks seem to rebound rather quickly.is this correct or do i have too much air in them ? I have built the buggy to the book set up
Any tips appreciated for a noob !

This may be helpful for the shocks..

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/losi/TL...ips/index.html
Old 11-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

guys, just put together my 22 kit, but when i tried putting on the front shock tower and bulk head, the steering arm hit the underside of the tower.no matter what spacers i used on the steering servo, it would still hit.I had to dremel about 20thou off the plastic to allow the steering ballcup to complete its arc.I am using a Futab s9550 low profile servo.Has anyone else experienced this
Also, there is nothing in the way of the shock setups in the manual.After i assembled all mine, the shocks seem to rebound rather quickly.is this correct or do i have too much air in them ? I have built the buggy to the book set up
One thing that most guys are doing (myself included) is to cut a hole in the bladders inside the shock (emulsion style). Also, you do have too much air in the shock. When you bleed it the first time, pump the shock and bleed again. I usually get a bit more air out this way for about 1-2mm of rebound. The car lands great with very little rebound.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Just to clarify, I am NOT saying the Losi ball cups are bad. Truthfully, I have no opinion on the Losi ones as this is my first race quality 1/10 2wd car. I actually was pretty impressed with the quality of the build of this car. Much better quality kit than the SCTE imho. The whole reason I bought the 22 was that it looked more robust and durable than competing brands.

My question was why ball cups are used on 1/10 vehicles instead of captured ends like on 1/8 cars. I always see a lot of DNFs for ball cups popping off at club races from fairly benign crashes and it seems like an unnecessary weak point. If the cups were captured, it is one less thing you have to worry about.

Is the ball cup to dissapate force from crashes and thus resulting in less actual vehicle damage? Is it that mfg's are just cheap? Do they peform better? Or is it just one of those "Always been that way" type of things...

Just curious.
I rarely see this happen on track (couple times a race night) and I dont think captured rod ends are necessary. Another factor is the additional weight and clearance issues. A screw doesnt seem like much weight but on the outside rod ends, the unsprung weight is a factor.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by imajerky
One thing that most guys are doing (myself included) is to cut a hole in the bladders inside the shock (emulsion style). Also, you do have too much air in the shock. When you bleed it the first time, pump the shock and bleed again. I usually get a bit more air out this way for about 1-2mm of rebound. The car lands great with very little rebound.
I'm running cut bladders now but am going to switch over to running a full bladder until I can get the stock caps machined for a bleed screw.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Talking NO SCREW

Originally Posted by madweazl
I'm running cut bladders now but am going to switch over to running a full bladder until I can get the stock caps machined for a bleed screw.
You dont need a screw.... its an open hole in the side of the cap
when you tighten the o ring seals it!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by XXXDad
You dont need a screw.... its an open hole in the side of the cap
when you tighten the o ring seals it!
It's a poor design for bleeding a shock, which is the reason I plan on having a bleed hole machined in the top of the cap like the majority of other manufacturers have done.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

It's a poor design for bleeding a shock, which is the reason I plan on having a bleed hole machined in the top of the cap like the majority of other manufacturers have done.
there noting wrong with we bleed 1/8th shocks the same way.
it just take pratice
Old 11-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

To me the shocks do not need a bleeder screw. They work just fine. It also looks better without one.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'm thinking of picking up one of these cars. this will b my first 1/10th buggy. looking to start racing indoors. i run 1/8th scale nitro now. is there a difference between the kit and the rtr. looking to get started the cheapest way i can.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pballer2777
I'm thinking of picking up one of these cars. this will b my first 1/10th buggy. looking to start racing indoors. i run 1/8th scale nitro now. is there a difference between the kit and the rtr. looking to get started the cheapest way i can.
For racing a kit is allways the way to go. Just incase you break something, need to change something you know how since you built it. But it looks really good for a RTR. Comes with 2.4 radio 13.5 sensored motor and esc. Front and Rear tires and a servo. I would get the RTR and try it. You can allways upgrade electronics later. If you bought the kit you will spend more money since you have to buy everything seperate.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:39 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
I hear you, but knowing how I drive, I am probably going to need something more robust than these ball cups. The 22 seems durable enough from what I can tell, but the ball cups just seem like an unnecessary weak point.
I have been running the car for 1 year, and only popped off a ball cup 2 times, and both were full throttle head on impacts... and nothing broke....

Originally Posted by rosko
Question for matt chambers or dustin evans whats your total shock length front and rear car raised off table measured from center of shock mount on tower to center of ballcup. Thx.
On 1/10 cars, we generally don't measure down travel like this. We all run 3mm limiting in the front, with the eyelet screwed all the way up. In the rear, we run 0 limiters, and with the eyelet screwed all the way up.

guys, just put together my 22 kit, but when i tried putting on the front shock tower and bulk head, the steering arm hit the underside of the tower.no matter what spacers i used on the steering servo, it would still hit.I had to dremel about 20thou off the plastic to allow the steering ballcup to complete its arc.I am using a Futab s9550 low profile servo.Has anyone else experienced this
If I remember right, the S9950 servo is low profile? If so, sometimes the spline is further from center on low pro servos, and thus can push the servo horn closer to the bulkhead.

Is the horn centered to the bulkhead fore-aft?

The shock was designed as a bladder shock, and thus a bleeder screw would have been unnecessary. Now that we are preferring the emulsion type shock setup, the 22RTR shock caps have bleeder screws. They should be available soon.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

what the hell losi
4 race old car and my rear shafts are siliver as can be. i clean my shocks ever round with a brush come on now.

do somehting about this shit
Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Anyone running the Promatch shorties with success? Cant beat the price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.