Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
If you run clockwise, you always get more wear on the left side of your car.
My local track is run clockwise and I tend to break the right arm more often
Old 07-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

If you run clockwise, you always get more wear on the left side of your car.
Can't resist cuz you set yourself up but "Cpt Obvious".
Hope you know I'm kiddin, I'm a huge fan of your tuning tips/reminders.

Originally Posted by chuckinator
Are you missing those couple left handers, traction rollin the right handers or just plain scrubbin and whippin the jumps too big?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Iv never broken one, or seen one broken. I once broke one on my old B4, but those are really cheap flimsy cheap 4-40 screws, not a nice solid piece like the 22 has.

I've personally seen 6 bend
Old 07-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fullsyzz
Anyone else have a broken left rear arm trend going at your track?
Are people breaking them now on the new layout? It didn't seem like any were breaking before, the only broken 22 arm I saw was when John got smashed at full speed on the straight.

*knock on wood* I've only broke one kingpin, and had a thrown pin carve a 1/8" deep cut in a rear hub (I'm still using that same hub though without issue) in about 5 race nights and about 10 battery packs in practice.

When I originally decided I wanted to race buggy, I thought that I would be constantly replacing broken parts, but thankfully my 22 has continued to get smashed on by my mediocre driving, cartwheeled across the track, has been smacked by 4WD SCTs in practice, and hasn't had a catastrophic failure yet. It's definitely a durable beast. My Blitz ESE breaks more often than my 22 does.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey veteran buggy drivers I have a question for you.Sometimes going over a small to medium jump my car will roll horizontally on to it`s lid,is this from an improper set up or to much finger input? Does not happen too often but out of the blue she just turns over that way and i`m out! Any thoughts?
Thanx!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Inconsistant jump faces or ruts in the face are usually the cause. You can get the car crossed up if you turn going up the face of a jump as well.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Corey Bernardo
I am pleased to report back that my low-med traction setup that is posted on TLR also works AMAZINGLY on a HIGH-BIGHT indoor track! I ran the car this past thursday at RCE and the only thing changed was TIRES!!!! I was purely in "aww" on how well the car performed on such a different surface and yet only a TIRE change!!!! BK REARS, and Taper Fronts ............. I cant wait for INDOOR SEASON NOW!! ah

HEY Andrew how the hell are you bud!!!!? Hope all is well... I think its been 8 years since we last raced each other... The Team Cypress name lives on always though.... Where is McMahon at?

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY EVERYONE
Corey, I have been good. Yes, it's been a long time. McMahon lives out in CA and works for Xtreme R/C Mag in the graphics department.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey G man. Heard you might be rolling out a 22. Stokes gave me his to run and I'm setting it up mid motor to run at mimi's.Got a new 12th scale to run at MRH with the Godfather.But I hav'nt I enjoy being at The Track more so, going back to my roots with off road.Got alot of ideas to help make it the best indoor offroad track.Hope to see ya soon.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc23
There must be some people doing some serious durability where you race. There are 5-7 people running 22's at either of the two tracks at which I race, and I have yet to set one broken/bent. Some of these people drive their 22 like they are doing durability for Losi. Personally my goal for race day is to not need to be marshalled all day (and to win), so I can say my car hasn't seen many really hard hits.

Originally Posted by BmainStar
Hey veteran buggy drivers I have a question for you.Sometimes going over a small to medium jump my car will roll horizontally on to it`s lid,is this from an improper set up or to much finger input? Does not happen too often but out of the blue she just turns over that way and i`m out! Any thoughts?
Thanx!
Next time you are at the track. Go and take a close look at the jump. If there is an uneven or rutted part of the jump, do your best to avoid that part of the jump. In addition to ruts/uneven jump faces, steering inputs coming off of a jump will cause the car to roll in the air the opposite direction of the steering input. Good drivers use this to correct the car mid air by steering the same dirrection that the car rolled. This can also be used to set the car up for a corner that is right after a jump. In the air you steer the opposite direction of the corner and it causes the inside tires to land first. This allows you to corner more aggressively without the fear of flipping your car over. Watch this video and you can see a great example of countersteering.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Can't resist cuz you set yourself up but "Cpt Obvious".
Hope you know I'm kiddin, I'm a huge fan of your tuning tips/reminders.
heh.. obvious to you and me, but maybe not everybody! What's funny, is my track has a rental program where they rent out RTR SC10s by the hour, or by the race night... they also do birthday party rentals where the entire track is rented out. Needless to say, the kids break the trucks pretty often. Anyway, whenever we have a layout that is clockwise, we always have left arms breaking, and will literally end up with a pile of 10 or 20 right arm spares sitting at the work bench... all we have to do is change to a counter-clockwise layout, and sure enough... no more lefts break, now we start eating into all our spare right arms that are already out of the package.... you can set your watch to it.

Originally Posted by rc23
eeek.. sorry, don't know what to tell you, other then it sounds like whoever has bent 6 of these things needs to try and spend more time on their rubber, and less on their paint/nose/upside down... Naturally the cars are supposed to be able to take at least a certain level of abuse before they bend or break, but 6 sounds excessive.... considering I haven't heard of a SINGLE one of these bend other than your 6, id say its a driver issue... no offense.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chuckinator
Well, it is a general statement... for example, you could have a clockwise track, but a nasty/dangerous left hand corner where perhaps you apex next to a pole or something... so if you tend to clip your front left around that corner, perhaps you break lefts more than right.... MOST of the time I see people break arms if there is a spot on a pipe that the car can hook onto if apexing too close. SNAP!!....
Old 07-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Our local track runs clockwise but there was a rash of right side arms breaking. The big hay-maker jump sent you past a steel pillar on the right side. Get a little off line to the right, kiss that side of the car goodbye.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

heh.. obvious to you and me, but maybe not everybody! What's funny, is my track has a rental program where they rent out RTR SC10s by the hour, or by the race night... they also do birthday party rentals where the entire track is rented out. Needless to say, the kids break the trucks pretty often. Anyway, whenever we have a layout that is clockwise, we always have left arms breaking, and will literally end up with a pile of 10 or 20 right arm spares sitting at the work bench... all we have to do is change to a counter-clockwise layout, and sure enough... no more lefts break, now we start eating into all our spare right arms that are already out of the package.... you can set your watch to it.

eeek.. sorry, don't know what to tell you, other then it sounds like whoever has bent 6 of these things needs to try and spend more time on their rubber, and less on their paint/nose/upside down... Naturally the cars are supposed to be able to take at least a certain level of abuse before they bend or break, but 6 sounds excessive.... considering I haven't heard of a SINGLE one of these bend other than your 6, id say its a driver issue... no offense.
I knew you would say that.. and the funny thing is.. some of the people who bend them are better than anyone at your track could ever hope to be.. (Yeah, save the rhetoric about how you have local Joe fast guy at your track.. i dont care.)

Look, i love the 22 also.. but i hate when people BASH people for saying the bent or broke a part. they are toy cars, they break.. when someone comes in here and says they broke something, you dont need to tell them how they MUST be doing something wrong, etc.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I would rather bend a shock standoff than break a shock tower. At least you can finish the race.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Does anyone have a email for a TLR rep or team driver?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.