Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by elas
All right I'm feeling stupid. To use a hrc toe block, the insert from the kit is used, with anti squat shims from the hrc tuning kit. Correct?
Yes that is correct, you can use the standard lrc shims but you will have to add a 1mm shim to the anti squat plate to space it up higher and maintain the correct anti squat. Much easier to just get the HRC tuning kit.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by grubster
Mine has been very durable. Nothing broken yet...oops did I just say that.
Major, major mistake saying that........
Old 06-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grubster
Mine has been very durable. Nothing broken yet...oops did I just say that.
Originally Posted by ABBOTT
Did somone just step on their car?
Originally Posted by ve8hhhdriver
Major, major mistake saying that........
Now that you just jinxed yourself you should double check a couple/few simple, minor things that may give you a nip in the ass.

Loose ballstuds, can tend to wobble themselves out especially the ones that have 2mm shims under them, check em all. Thinking of scrounging up some with longer threads. Kyosho maybe?

Rear axle bearings take a beating too, large and small ones.

That's about it for me and I've got several hours of runtime on mine.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Ride height

Are you guys really running 24mm ride height in the front? I seem to have a hard time getting 24-25 mm out of the front end. I haven't cut the bladders, build em with no rebound, and have gone up 2 rates from the kit on the fr spring, and will have the collars all the way down, and still am lucky to get 22mm ride height. maybe binding up at the knuckle? I noticed that some of the setup sheets show 20-22mm but it seems to be on tracks with less bumps and jumps (European drivers)

I mostly run outdoor on rough tracks, so I run Corey's setup and it's great! (once I got 14 good carbide balls in the diff!)

I'm getting another kit and building it mid-motor to take to RC Factory in OH, and would like any suggestions that anyone could help out with that runs mid-motor.

Seems hard to sift thru all of the info even in just this one thread! Im computer retarded, is there a search available within the thread?

thanks again, Cpt America, Corey and the rest of the bunch on here, because this info is INVALUABLE! and CPT America's explanations are sooooo easy to comprehend, keep up the good work!
Old 06-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default sorry

Wasn't signed in, when I looked for that search, now I see it!
Old 06-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Roycephus
Seems hard to sift thru all of the info even in just this one thread! Im computer retarded, is there a search available within the thread?

thanks again, Cpt America, Corey and the rest of the bunch on here, because this info is INVALUABLE! and CPT America's explanations are sooooo easy to comprehend, keep up the good work!
Have you seen this sticky from page 1 of Electric Offroad Thread?

If not, you've missed out.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-22-guide.html
Old 06-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Now that you just jinxed yourself you should double check a couple/few simple, minor things that may give you a nip in the ass.

Loose ballstuds, can tend to wobble themselves out especially the ones that have 2mm shims under them, check em all. Thinking of scrounging up some with longer threads. Kyosho maybe?

Rear axle bearings take a beating too, large and small ones.

That's about it for me and I've got several hours of runtime on mine.
ah... harking back to my RB5 days. I miss that car, if it wasnt for parts suckiness I would have kept it. Nothing ever broke on that thing, just wore out.

Last edited by ve8hhhdriver; 06-25-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Grammer shpammer.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So, I roached my new servo yesterday. Futaba BLS451. I just grazed a tube going through a straight section and that's all it took. I suspect it was a buildup of hits and tumbles I've taken since I got the car. This is the first problem I've had with the car though.

This is the first servo problem I've had in many, many, many years. I guess the claim by some people, that the 22 doesn't need a servo saver is out the window in my mind. My bet is "they" say you don't need a servo saver because they couldn't figure one out with the tight space and sliding rack system. Compromise I guess.

Has anyone had luck with figuring out a SS for their cars?
Also looking for recommendations on a new servo, possibly a low-profile. Are the Savox ones any good?

Last edited by Sean B.; 06-25-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm using a Savox 1251MG and love it. I have them in two cars, with zero issues...but I rarely wreck and normally drive pretty smooth. I have yet to wear or break anything on my 22.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Sean B.
So, I roached my new servo yesterday. Futaba BLS451. I just grazed a tube going through a straight section and that's all it took. I suspect it was a buildup of hits and tumbles I've taken since I got the car. This is the first problem I've had with the car though.

This is the first servo problem I've had in many, many, many years. I guess the claim by some people, that the 22 doesn't need a servo saver is out the window in my mind. My bet is "they" say you don't need a servo saver because they couldn't figure one out with the tight space and sliding rack system. Compromise I guess.

Has anyone had luck with figuring out a SS for their cars?
Also looking for recommendations on a new servo, possibly a low-profile. Are the Savox ones any good?
Why don't you just replace the stripped gears rather than buying a new servo?
Old 06-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ruffy
I rarely wreck and normally drive pretty smooth. I have yet to wear or break anything on my 22.
That was me, until yesterday.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Theibault
Why don't you just replace the stripped gears rather than buying a new servo?
That sounds like a very solid idea, if only the gears were stripped.

Something else happened to where it only wants to turn in one direction.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dillydalley
hate to interrupt the current topic of conversation and not to distract from the 22 of which thread this is, but with AKA's new rebar tires coming out yesterday, does anyone know which compound is closest to proline's MC compound? Soft or super soft? I'm trying to find a good long wearing practice tire for the 22 because my MC suburbs don't last too long and I've been reading so many things on tires and what causes them to wear that I need the expert advice from this forum.

It seems like proline's MC compound is quite firm, yet everything I read on compound choice points to a really soft tire for an indoor track that's below 70* track temp, so how do clay compounds like MC work on colder track temps? Do the tred lengths play a role? suburb MC is the tire of choice at my tack, which I use and they do work very well, but notice that suburb tred length at new is very short. I'm just trying to understand why when everyone says softer tire for colder track and firmer compound for the hot outdoor tracks, a firm compound like MC works. I posted this question in another forum and was told to get super soft rebars for my med to sometimes high bite clay indoor track, but, it just seems contradictory. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
I have used the new rebar tires, soft compound and they are very nice tires. They have more depth in the tread than the barcodes or suburbs so they last a little longer. They are close to M3(soft) and M4(super soft). The foams are awesome but they don't make 2wd fronts yet?!. Main gripe is the price, $14 for a set with no foams and the closed cell foams are $7 a pair. $21 a pair, about the same cost as a set of SCT tires. Ridiculous!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by b121774
I have used the new rebar tires, soft compound and they are very nice tires. They have more depth in the tread than the barcodes or suburbs so they last a little longer. They are close to M3(soft) and M4(super soft). The foams are awesome but they don't make 2wd fronts yet?!. Main gripe is the price, $14 for a set with no foams and the closed cell foams are $7 a pair. $21 a pair, about the same cost as a set of SCT tires. Ridiculous!
$14 is right on pace with all of the offroad buggy tires that include foams that aren't used anyway.
$7 for foams is also equal to any of the good foams available.

So price is the same as anyone else but they don't even waste your time with junk foams in the package with the tires.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

can somebody please post their methods for setting the slipper clutch. I rebuilt my diff today (1st time) and I watched the sticky in the off road section repeatedly. I am confident (as confident as a first timer could be) the diff isn't slipping but never could get the front end to come off the table like in the video. I've added a shim between the spring and slipper hub because the red spacer was bottoming out before the spring was compressed fully. Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Darren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.