Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeremey
I’m looking for more forward traction coming out of tight 180’s on a somewhat loose outdoor track. I’m running the Evens setup which works great on the local indoor track but not so much on the outdoor track, the car is easy to drive just not that fast.

Anyone with suggestions on what to try first or what worked for them?
-Jeremey
Jeremy, coming out of a tight 180... and looking for more traction on the rear tires when you get back ON-throttle, requires you load the rear tires more. when you load a tire, is when it develops traction. How do you load the rear tires? You need greater (and maybe quicker) shift of weight from the front of the car, to the rear. The two best ways to do that are a) more front droop, (which you say you've done), and b) less anti-squat (more squat). Combined, they will allow the maximum amount of traction to shift to the rear of the car ON-throttle (not off).

So to test, I would go down to 1mm limiters in the front, and drop all the way down to 0 anti-squat in the rear. Now, you may loose TOO much steering, which is ok as the test is to try and gain traction in the rear on-throttle... from there you could go back up to 1 deg antisquat if needed. But dropping to 0 will maximize rear weight transfer on-throttle.

Also, lighter oil in both front and back will increase the speed at which the weight transfer takes place. However, changing oil weight also affects how the car behaves right to left... and jumping... so that would be a later resort.

Originally Posted by Sterling Racer
You might try screwing the rear shock back up assuming they're out 2 turns as on the Evan's set up.
That won't help unfortunately. Rear droop only affects weight transfer to the FRONT of the car, OFF-throttle (entering a corner), and works in conjunction with front kickup. (opposite of anti-squat)
Old 06-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Looking to trade a very nice 8-T 2.0 for a 22.

I'm actually moving and where I am going, Nitro is pretty much dead.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...r-wtt-wts.html
Old 06-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I’m looking for more forward traction coming out of tight 180’s on a somewhat loose outdoor track. I’m running the Evens setup which works great on the local indoor track but not so much on the outdoor track, the car is easy to drive just not that fast.

So far I’ve tried moving the battery back, adding weight to the rear (in the battery compartment) and adding front droop (-2 turns). The only change that I liked was the added droop, I put the battery back and removed the weight.

Here are some of the things that I was thinking of trying for more forward traction.
- Adding more front droop (removing limiters).
- Lighter springs
- Lighter oil
- Moving the rear hubs forward

The tires of choice or DD’s or Hole shots

-Jeremey
Jermey send me a PM... since i seem to be the only guy running a mod 22 at Dave's i have found fwd bite (and i have tried ton's of set ups and suggestions)
Old 06-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tripthreat
The setup we ran is Dustin's Reedy Setup, and the only changes were 1.5mm hexes and going upto to 30ft and 27.5rr oil. It was dialed

Dustin also told me he screwed the rear shock ends all the way up. Not sure if that was his final winning setup though.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If I was you Jeremy and was searching for a little more forward traction the first thing I would do is rear hubs spaced forward, but careful not to go crazy forward with it, because you will lose rotation.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Tech Addict

I have found my car to gain more forward bit the farther back I move the hubs. It also seems to smooth the car out throughout the corner. Making the corner more rounded and not so twitchy in and loose out.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Tech Addict

So far I’ve tried moving the battery back, adding weight to the rear (in the battery compartment) and adding front droop (-2 turns). The only change that I liked was the added droop, I put the battery back and removed the weight.

Here are some of the things that I was thinking of trying for more forward traction.
- Adding more front droop (removing limiters).
- Lighter springs
- Lighter oil
- Moving the rear hubs forward

The tires of choice or DD’s or Hole shots

-Jeremey
Jeremy I have found that with the 22 the lighter you go in the rear of the car via shocks the more the car rotates in and out of the corner. The stiffer I make my car statically the more rear bite I gain. Try some of these as I found these work for me:

-move lower shock mount to outside hole (may need to go down in spring)
-leave lower shock in inner hole and go up in spring
-add more pack to the shock
-lengthen the rear camberlink
-add more rear toe via the block(moving the hubs forward slightly adds toe but doenst really help forward bite, only makes the car act wierd in the center of the corner)
Old 06-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Corey Bernardo
If I was you Jeremy and was searching for a little more forward traction the first thing I would do is rear hubs spaced forward, but careful not to go crazy forward with it, because you will lose rotation.
I find that moving the rear hubs all the way forward gave me two things:

1) I gained straight line on-power rear traction, due to more weight hanging out the back of the car (which equates to less ON-throttle steering)

2) GAINED rotation neut-throttle AND off-throttle, due to shorter wheelbase.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cpt.America

1) I gained straight line on-power rear traction, due to more weight hanging out the back of the car (which equates to less ON-throttle steering)

Old 06-15-2011, 07:05 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America

Originally Posted by Corey Bernardo
But...Bone angle will also play a key role in this. I agree with Chuck, that depending on the conditions, driver, other setup factors, etc. moving the hubs back can actually increase rear grip and forward traction. I don't think this tuning option is 100% clear either way. I would start middle, go all the way forward, then all the way back. If you like forward or rear better, then try going back towards the middle by 1mm to see if this is hitting the sweet spot. If you need more, check how you have your arm shimmed (front or rear) and you may be able to adjust this also.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Frank Congrats on the Short Course Overall win this past weekend!!! Won in great fashion, awesome!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Tech Addict

What difference is there going from 10 to 5 degree caster blocks?
Old 06-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mini-Mod
What difference is there going from 10 to 5 degree caster blocks?
Low speed steering is increased (off power) That is what it felt like to me.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sterling Racer
You might try screwing the rear shock back up assuming they're out 2 turns as on the Evan's set up.

Originally Posted by SAGISI
Dustin also told me he screwed the rear shock ends all the way up. Not sure if that was his final winning setup though.
had too quote it, thanks
Old 06-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Help with tlr diff

Hi guys iv read the sticky about rebuilding and setting the diff and slipper. But there is a point where i just cant get my head around it,
You have the diff in the car, and i tighten up tje slipper clutch. I hold the left wheel. And the slipper gear. Then turn the right wheel.
But what kind of tightness am i looking for. It goes from smooth, easy to turn , to not much harder to turn with some effort smooth. Which it just feels to loose. But the next stage of turning it gets stiffer to turn, but it has a slight grinding sound. But is stiffer to turn . So i go back slightley tp smooth turning again. But tje point betwen smooth and slight tight gind sound is so minimal, but the far end of smooth turn , just seems to loose. So am i suppose to have a tight turning with some kind of grind feeling , or should it just be only smooth, if so i feel its to soft to be right. I have ceramic balls in the diff.
Please help as its driving me mad and do not want to damage anything
Thanks
Greg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.