Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi everybody,had a go with my new 22 today for its 1st time,what a nice buggy to drive,its just the box setup at the mo but was very nice and easy to get the power down.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

22=dialed....I love this buggy. First race with it tonight and it is definitely better than my old CR
Old 06-12-2011, 01:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Does the Mamba Max Pro (with fan removed) fit in the 22? If so, do you like it?

I've been out of the electric scene for a year or so......does the MMP hang in terms of "boosting" compared to say the Tekin RS or Novak Havok Pro? They all have timing boost, and I don't want to turn this into a debate, just wondering if the MMP is a competitive boosting esc option still. I already own one and want to use it in my 22 unless you folks advise otherwise. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:06 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jw_rooster
22=dialed....I love this buggy. First race with it tonight and it is definitely better than my old CR
not where I race. Cr is still the fast car. Wait a few races, them gremlins will start to surface. My son had a chance yesterday to trade for a 22 with his CR and I said NO.

BTW XXXCR won at our track yesterday with 2- 22's in attendance. I will agree the car looks great. Just need to work out the issues before i abandon the CR. Both 22's today were either broken or rebuilding diffs etc etc....all day. I lowered my rear ride height a little on my CR, thats all the work i did to my car yesterday.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:36 AM
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jw_rooster
Mines dialed as well and i have finally almost come to a real good set-up that id be comfortable posting, just want to try a few more things.
Only complaint i have so far is the front inner hinge pins like to bind a little at times but just sliding out the hinge pin and cleaning some surfaces it goes away. But i guess that comes with being lazy at times with maintenance

Originally Posted by Jamison R
not where I race. Cr is still the fast car. Wait a few races, them gremlins will start to surface. My son had a chance yesterday to trade for a 22 with his CR and I said NO.

BTW XXXCR won at our track yesterday with 2- 22's in attendance. I will agree the car looks great. Just need to work out the issues before i abandon the CR. Both 22's today were either broken or rebuilding diffs etc etc....all day. I lowered my rear ride height a little on my CR, thats all the work i did to my car yesterday.
When you finally buy one you will feel like this guy above.

Last edited by Eli; 06-12-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

I had no issues with the car at all....the diff is silky smooth after a night of modified on high bite clay (pink tapers dremeled to slicks) and it was just a joy to drive. Don't get me wrong, I love the XXX platform and I had my reservations letting it go for the new car....but I am soooo glad I did.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markhat250

I've been out of the electric scene for a year or so......does the MMP hang in terms of "boosting" compared to say the Tekin RS or Novak Havok Pro? They all have timing boost, and I don't want to turn this into a debate, just wondering if the MMP is a competitive boosting esc option still. I already own one and want to use it in my 22 unless you folks advise otherwise. Thanks.
I am running one in my 22 with no issues without the fan, its tight but works. With regards to boosting, more then sufficient power can be had. I have 5 of these ESC's and for the money I could not be happier.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i have a cr i would trade for a 22....let me in on that action..
Old 06-12-2011, 06:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Could it be you have the CR's dialed into your track? You've been running it for how long? Would the guy that won with the CR, have won if he had a 22?

Sounds like the guys that had the 22's are kind of knewbs if they were having problems all day. I've had my 22 since the first batch and still have broken nothing, and have not rebuilt the diff yet (still silky smoooooth, but maybe I should rebuild just cause it's been so long, HA!)

Your story sounds very subjective to me.
Oh, and sorry about your bad luck on not trading yer sons CR for a 22. That's just about the dumbest thing I've heard in a while now.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have 3 cr's I'm trying to sell to get a 22, but I only want it because I want a new car for the first time in 3 years, but I wouldn't be surprised if my mid motor CR is as fast, if not faster then the 22. Last week I had a good friend with a 22 pass me and he's considerably better then me after my rough start, once he passed me I had no issues staying behind him, I had to be carefull not to take him out, so to say the 22 is faster on carpet would be lieing, my mid motor CR is for sure faster, I just can't drive (top B main usually, he's top A with a few wins)
Old 06-12-2011, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by punkracer24
working on a buddies car trying to figure out...what parts do you guys use to make the graphite battery strap hold down???? does someone make a kit or are they parts taken from somewhere else?
diggitydesigns.com has a nice battery strap kit. Otherwise I have used the B4 carbon fiber strap cut down to fit with HPI thumb nuts (gun metal color) Associated thumb nuts will work (blue color) and derlon tubing for stand offs. Derango has some nice aluminum stand offs that will work as well. Axial makes assorted sizes of stand offs in different colors just be sure to get proper size. All parts purchased seperately will be the same price as Diggity Designs kit which is a bolt in.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by markhat250

The MMP is a great ESC. I'm using it in my 22 right now and have had it in both mid and currently rear configurations. It would be nice to have it be a little smaller with resolder posts, but what can you do. Boosting is great and the Castle Link software is awesome and easy to use, and free. As far as punch goes, I run my punch control setting at 20% as a personal preference to help smooth my driving out. But at full punch authority it will transition all available battery power to the motor if you squeeze your finger. The MMP likes good batterys. Make sure that when comparing ESC's, you're also comparing then using similar batterys. Boost is great with timing control and RPM engagement control. The only disadvantage I can think of in using MMP is its size. But that's just my experience
Old 06-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

If you give the top driver a CR, and a bad driver the 22... the CR will certainly win and the 22 will certainly lose, maybe broken. You speak as if the 22 just breaks all on its own, which couldn't be further from the truth. I have owned both the CR and the 22, and the 22 is literally TWICE as durable.

How they drive is subjective however... some people may like the way the CR drives, and some may like how the 22 drives. They can both be equally fast if set up properly for the track. It's not like either car has completely bizzar geometry or something that will naturally make it slow... Both are fine.

The only thing the CR has that is better than the 22, is the diff.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
If you give the top driver a CR, and a bad driver the 22... the CR will certainly win and the 22 will certainly lose, maybe broken. You speak as if the 22 just breaks all on its own, which couldn't be further from the truth. I have owned both the CR and the 22, and the 22 is literally TWICE as durable.

How they drive is subjective however... some people may like the way the CR drives, and some may like how the 22 drives. They can both be equally fast if set up properly for the track. It's not like either car has completely bizzar geometry or something that will naturally make it slow... Both are fine.

The only thing the CR has that is better than the 22, is the diff.
+1 I can't imagine ever breaking anything on the 22...you would have to be TRYING to break it or slam it into a wall at full speed...the CR on the other hand...EA3 means: Every Accident 3 parts break. The diff was always super solid though for sure! I still love the CR in a lot of ways, but it's time is passed...the 22 is the future.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The CR with graphite parts took a beating. I will say my 22 had walked away from more then one hit that would have easily broke something on the CR. The 22 diff is great just need a good diff nut. Being fixed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.