Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The xceleron 60c 3800 mah are my reccomendation.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bergie33
Seems like the same composite to me as the rest of the parts on the car. Am I missing something?
I'm like 95% sure neither part in the stock steering rack kit is delrin. They are 2 different plastics that were "designed" to move freely and reduce wear. One of the only weak points of this car IMO, not that they break, just how fast they wear and how much they cost to replace
Old 04-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

somebody was telling me that the reason that the rack wears so much is when you turn one way it puts upward pressure and when you turn the other way downward. If you shim the ball stud right you can knock out almost all of that angle and reduce the pressure. Sounds good in theory, but I have no idea if it works......
Old 04-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckland
I'm like 95% sure neither part in the stock steering rack kit is delrin. They are 2 different plastics that were "designed" to move freely and reduce wear. One of the only weak points of this car IMO, not that they break, just how fast they wear and how much they cost to replace
Maybe it is just the outer piece that is delrin.

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
somebody was telling me that the reason that the rack wears so much is when you turn one way it puts upward pressure and when you turn the other way downward. If you shim the ball stud right you can knock out almost all of that angle and reduce the pressure. Sounds good in theory, but I have no idea if it works......
I noticed this a while back and was running about 4-5mm washers under the ballstud on the rack, i used an older losi long ball stud to accomblish this. In doing so i think it changed the geometry some and the last time i went thru my car i ended up going back to the stock way with out any washers. If you do end up adding washers under the rack side you should have to shorten your drag link from the servo to the steering rack.

Personally i applaud the design, it doesnt bother me that it wears and i have yet to break one and like others have said, a standard bell crank set-up develops the same amount of slop.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckland
So the 22 wears fast like the 2.0 1/8 buggy? That's kind of a dissapointment. I said to myself I would never own another Losi cause of how fast they wear. But I went ahead and got a 22 cause I thought these 2wd would inevitably wear less. Hmmmm oh well Im gonna run the shit outta it regardless. I was told this buggy was the one to get, now if it would just get here lol
Old 04-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

My 22 that has been raced two or three times a month since fall is just a tight as my 22T with one race day. Except for the steering rack. Once it got sloppy I put in a new plastic slider and left the original C track. And it has stayed good since.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Originally Posted by atl darrick
So the 22 wears fast like the 2.0 1/8 buggy? That's kind of a dissapointment. I said to myself I would never own another Losi cause of how fast they wear. But I went ahead and got a 22 cause I thought these 2wd would inevitably wear less. Hmmmm oh well Im gonna run the shit outta it regardless. I was told this buggy was the one to get, now if it would just get here lol
So theres one piece that wears fast and your gonna dis it like that... try racing a b4 and you'll see what slop really is. This is the best 2wd imo!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Eli
So theres one piece that wears fast and your gonna dis it like that... try racing a b4 and you'll see what slop really is. This is the best 2wd imo!
Yea I kind of read that post wrong. But don't get mad haha, I bought this buggy because many told me this is the one to get
Old 04-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eli
My thoughts exactly. I have tried both and had a B4 before I got my 22. I even loved the XXX. However, the TLR 22 is by far the better buggy out there. it just handles so much better than the others. All RC's develop some sort of slop over time as things just wear out. Some things wear faster than others. I accept that; especially when I have a buggy that performs to my satisfaction.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Yea I kind of read that post wrong. But don't get mad haha, I bought this buggy because many told me this is the one to get
Well if this is your first 2wd buggy and you are coming from 8th scale you might be in for it
Old 04-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slyts6
Could some one please link me to a few good batteries to suit rear configurment?

I'm running a 17.5 redline/rs combo.
For the stock 17.5, I personally like the Orion Carbon Pro 6000mah 90c. But those can be pricey.

I just bought some Turnigy Lipos as well and expect good things based on what I have heard and seen at my local track.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rider313
My 22 that has been raced two or three times a month since fall is just a tight as my 22T with one race day. Except for the steering rack. Once it got sloppy I put in a new plastic slider and left the original C track. And it has stayed good since.
Accurate comment that I will add to...

For curiosity, I just finished a new Schumacher SV2 buggy.

This steering rack has no less than eight bearings in it's steering system. The rack was tight and smooth on the bench. I raced it one night. When I got home and checked the car over, the bearings all settled in and I found the one day old rack with as much slop/play as my 22 has currently with six months of hammering.

It's not an issue fellas, the rack is beautifully simple, elegant, effective, with little opportunity to fail - it only consists of two parts.

Expensive? What? The entire steering system is like $8.00? How much do you pay for a pair of inserts? A good pair of wheel bearings?

Don't obsess as I did early on...drive, enjoy and repeat.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Eli
Well if this is your first 2wd buggy and you are coming from 8th scale you might be in for it
Yes it is my first, but i got the chance to drive my buddies dex210 bfore i made the final decision to get a 2wd and he couldnt pry his remote from my hands it was that much fun. i think my experience was the exact opposite of how a 1/8 only driver would drive a 2wd
Old 04-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

double post
Old 04-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Yes it is my first, but i got the chance to drive my buddies dex210 bfore i made the final decision to get a 2wd and he couldnt pry his remote from my hands it was that much fun. i think my experience was the exact opposite of how a 1/8 only driver would drive a 2wd
Running 2WD buggy will make you a better driver, period. It'll teach you how and when to push your car/setup to its limits.

That said, it's going to be immensely frustrating at first. There are 3 things to remember:

1 - Stay as smooth as possible. Start slow, but do everything you can to maintain control of the car, and stay on the fast line. Flying down the stright is great, but it's pointless when you barrel-roll through the next turn.

2 - Don't be afraid to change your setup. Practice and tune as much as possible (once you get the whole slow is fast thing down).

3 - Don't give up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.