Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kyosho Ultima SC-R Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 07:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had a bit of revelation last friday while racing, it was after gaining 2 seconds of speed around the track consistently, I found that it wasnt my Sct that I was struggling to control, but it was myself and that goes much deeper then racing on so many levels, however it was only thru racing that I was able to see...

Phil G.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PhilipBGreen
I had a bit of revelation last friday while racing, it was after gaining 2 seconds of speed around the track consistently, I found that it wasnt my Sct that I was struggling to control, but it was myself and that goes much deeper then racing on so many levels, however it was only thru racing I was able to see...
I don't even own this vehicle, much less anything in this class, but dang I was struck by your comment. Very deep stuff, dewd. I believe you've achieved the unadulterated joy of hobby nirvana. Whether conscious of it or not, we all race to find the tao of rc enlightenment. It eludes most of us.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Stanford55
I don't even own this vehicle, much less anything in this class, but dang I was struck by your comment. Very deep stuff, dewd. I believe you've achieved the unadulterated joy of hobby nirvana. Whether conscious of it or not, we all race to find the tao of rc enlightenment. It eludes most of us.
Man it was so surreal !!! I'm so great full I was able to capture such a moment a truth. hey thanks for understanding, lots to work on
Old 11-08-2016, 04:35 PM
Tech Regular

my new springs came today along with some carbon fiber piece's and a couple protek ball stud washer kits for my ball studs and suspension mounts front back top and bottom this thing feels and looks great I didnt need the springs but since I just rebuilt the shocks and upgraded the caps and spring perches I figured why not.

now all i need are some new de wheels black this time with some prime's or smoothies for the new carpet track I also want an evo sc body again I dont know why yet, it just seems to fit tighter to the chassis and makes the truck look smaller and the front wheels actually sit in the fenders, I think the hf2 body I just got is for an sc5m and 22sct its a mm body it looks ok.

I'm glad my screw kit never came I guess its back ordered, I weighed the sct the other day and she came in at 2116 and I wasnt even trying to keep it light and thats with a full stick, I heard screw kits can save as much as 30 grams so I may switch to SS to stay legal. this thing is so sick, tomorow ill order front and rear aluminum pivot blocks as well as titanium front axles and a few other upgrades I may hunt down the factory kashima coated gold turnbuckles to match the shock bodies im not sure if they came on the sp but does any one know, and know where I can get them.

I took the rear end apart to check on my ball diff and the carbide balls hold up great the lube is still crystal clear plus I loaded it back up, now that i run the rollers instead of pucks and that kit is discontinued I may grab the bi metal diff kit. also with the aluminum pivot blocks do I want steel bushings or the kyosho special bushings I think there delrin the control arm pin sits in them just in case any one is confused.

Ive been watching the urban pro2 sct that race on road courses, so awesome makes me wanna find an old toyota with a 22re and find a wrecked ford rapture and steal the suspension or buy some affordable long travel shocks lol all is well.

also can some one point me in the direction of someone on the forum who does custom paint ?

Last edited by PhilipBGreen; 11-08-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:08 PM
Tech Regular

so after a very quick search I wasnt able to turn up anything on factory kyosho kashima coated turn buckles I wish I could remember where I saw this K car with these hmm any way I did find out however that you can anodize them your self diy style and around 90-95 volts or 7-10 9 volts will produce a deep gold or kashima coated look on titanium turn buckles, as I have gen 1 velvets that have a very deep kashima coat and I thought it would be cool to have turn buckles to match any way I found a video and thought I would share as I will be doing this.

https://youtu.be/3PO0LpdoGvo and maybe even do a Ti screw kit...
Old 11-11-2016, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

The mini D dyno will be out soon Id like to start a dyno service and motor tuneing service to. any way thanks for all the support guys for making an effort to talk to and help me means alot.

Last edited by PhilipBGreen; 11-11-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

shortly I will be introducing the one and only, Kyosho Ultima Sc-R Carbtanium !!!
Old 11-15-2016, 07:23 PM
Tech Regular

my aluminum rear front and rear rear hinge pivot blocks look sick It also came with the Sc-r SS bushings, I used one 0.5 mm blue anodized shim on each side there is literally zero play in the A -arm's with no binding either its perfect, I also used one on each side up front, I guess I proved you can take all the slop out of an off road vehicle it truely feels like a Tc, there is a smidget of play in the ball cups that I can remove by putting the rpm ball cups back on but then it binds a little some one told me I can reem them out a little but id rather use the stock ones , Im putting lunsford Ti turnbuckles on any way Ill also be anodizing them and a Ti screw kit myself so Ill figure that out then.

My carbon Fiber shock tower's will be here tomorrow morning as well as the rest of the kyosho carbon composite's !!! I also found a guy that runs a company by the name of SNR and he makes an esc plate that hovers over the batt and screws to the rear CF shock tower/bulk head assembly here's a link just in case any ones interested http://www.snrgraphite.com/index.php...products_id=27

any way I put way to much into this sct mostly because I race STOCK most of the things are small little things for racing purposes, but man do they add up there's only a few pieces left that are actually the original sct its crazy, part of me can see why people say stock takes the fun out of it, I'm almost glad our local track switched to carpet, any way I wanted to wait until the new primes and De's are on but ill take a few pics for sure tomorrow...

Last edited by PhilipBGreen; 11-16-2016 at 02:49 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

people in my area often ask me why I put so much money in my Sc-r when I could have bought 3 new kits, the thing about it is all SCT are designed and Based off Buggy's now for the Sc-R, Tripple X, and SC10 that worked out great but when they decided to use aluminum chassis finally go mid motor, and built a whole new generation off buggy's it only worked out for the buggy Imo.

the new Sct are damn nice don't get me wrong here, but from a racing stand point there bigger and heavier by 100 grams and some even more vs the smaller lighter F1 style composite chassis witch were barely legal out of the box and the new sct's are not as nimble, then there's the whole mid motor thing and that's when I turn to the Pros, in 2014 the sc10 was up against all the newest design's and mid motor vehicles and came out on top, not only that but all the Pros when it came to SCT all of them choose rear motor setup's most of the time, there's no doubt mid motor sct's corner smoother and have the potential to be faster but the whole truck needs refining it just goes back to me saying sct's need there own identity now and to be built from scratch vs making a larger version of there buggy's, I don't think many pro's could truly say How they really felt cause of the company's they race for + the new buggy's are great a real improvement or advancement for them and that seems to be the primary focus in R/c Racing but records show Tebo was much more successful in his Sc-R than Sc-6 almost tenfold wining major races and always on pole.

So it all worked out great for buggy's but in my opinion and many top racers at my local track who own sc5m's and 10.2's and prefer there 10.2 because its faster according to the clock over all says a lot and believe it or not many of the old timer's love there plastic or carbon composite chassis and I do to, at the end of the day I believe the company's took a huge step forward with Buggy's but it did not translate over as well to the sct its time for a sct to have its own identity from scratch as they are the most popular in many area's and are bringing more people into the hobby than any other class still. As a racer you only update or move into a new chassis because there has been an advancement and you want to stay competitive because you want to win you see it in 1 to 1 racing all the time drivers signing new contracts with the team that has the best engine supplier and chassis builder, as a racer wants the best possible chance of winning.

whats happening right now in R/c with the sct, well its about the buggy and the new sct is about money cause its certainly not better performance wise Imo.

when you look at the German company's and company's like serpent witch did very well at the cactus in sct, they new this all along and didnt bother messing with there SCT's. any way my Carbon Fiber shock Tower's just got here YESSSSS !!!

Last edited by PhilipBGreen; 11-16-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:16 AM

Trader Rating: 470 (100%+)

I have owned several and regret selling them. I can't tell you enough how planted they were in the rear and how good they were in 17.5 and mod racing. When the SC6 came out we all bought them and struggled alot. The scr plain worked. Period. If sct was big here I would get one again. Enjoy your trucks and go race them!
Old 11-16-2016, 02:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Posvar
I have owned several and regret selling them. I can't tell you enough how planted they were in the rear and how good they were in 17.5 and mod racing. When the SC6 came out we all bought them and struggled alot. The scr plain worked. Period. If sct was big here I would get one again. Enjoy your trucks and go race them!
Thank you for that I admire your honesty you know its hard not to fall in love with your machine and when you do its easy to denie its faults as even I adore the Sc-6.

and I'll def Take your advice I almost needed to hear that I get so involved in building them critique'n them and then trying to make them better I forget use them for what there made for HAVING FUN !!!
Old 12-15-2016, 09:10 AM
Tech Regular

had to redesign the Sc-R Chassis and set up for carpet and man !!! who new you could spend 150$ + Dollars on a gear diff lol, I ordered the the Carbon steel machined gears Kit witch was on top of a complete new gear diff set, the Aluminum no leak no seep cover and Kyosho 84mm steel captured axle and cvd combo big bucks, Im picking up the carbon composite chassis today ! and also ordering the snr carbon fiber T-plate and esc center mount above batt, the rig has a high grade surgical SS screw kit that I put together my self from a site that has really nothing to do with R/c Mostly M3 but also Few M4 for durability in some cool locations, I know I keep saying it but I really need to get some pic's up.

Last edited by PhilipBGreen; 12-29-2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:39 AM
Tech Regular

just a few recent photo's, I'm working on making a better photo studio with better lighting and learning to capture different angles.

the truck looks so simple its weird, but there's not much left of the original kit I wish you could see the black and grey transitions better from all the carbon composite.

the carbon composite bulk heads, carbon composite transmission case, Snr CF esc mount, DD CF T-plate are not installed I have them just lazy, I also started grabbing spares of everything, and I also ended up spending over 200$ on the gear diff it looks sick with the aluminum case cover, I could not decide if I was going to put in the aluminum velvet coated bevel gear shafts or the steel so that's sitting as well.
I'm really proud of this sct the carbon composite chassis really lightened it by 10 grams I was at 2118 now she's sitting pretty at 2108 with full size pack.

I sold my fantom works motor and can not decide if Im going to have another made, I might just throw an orion Lw vst2 back there for now I have this urge to go mod with the new gear diff as I've never had a mod.

oh and My custom painted body is under way from a member on here Im really excited about that.
anyway enjoy throw me some ideas for this track monster, these velvet's feel and work great but I may switch to big bores velvets idk.

Kyosho Ultima SC-R Thread-20161223_215419.jpg

Kyosho Ultima SC-R Thread-20161223_215738.jpg

Kyosho Ultima SC-R Thread-20161223_215446.jpg

Kyosho Ultima SC-R Thread-20161224_003414.jpg

Last edited by PhilipBGreen; 12-29-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:15 AM
Tech Regular

welp I sold my fantom fr-1 works in hopes to upgrade to version 2 however my wife decided she wanted the money so yeah ! so Looks like ill have to wait, any who it seems as tho fantom and speed passion are in bed together some type of way, so being loyal and now broke, I went ahead and picked up a Sp triple M 17.5 for now and I must say Im in pressed it has some serious top end, I guess Im not used to that I suspect its the 12.3 rotor very aggressive mid to top power band. however just playing with it a couple minutes on the living room floor it got warm it was only a couple degrees over room temp but still I knew id burn it up in a main so i turned the timing down a lil and re geared.

ill be putting the rest of the carbon composite a carbon fiber on today and ill take more pics the other pics don't do this bad girl justice.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:25 PM
Tech Regular

well I got all the rest of the parts on and I noticed that when I put the new transmission case on, my cvds like completely spun alot free'er its weird in the old case witch looked brand new it was a lot more stiff I thought it was just the ball diff, now I can give it a flick and it will spin a couple rotations even with the motor in place and several when its not, I wonder if that old tranny case is warped where the bearings go or out of line from out drive wobble idk has any one ever had this happen ?

any way the truck is truly the sickest and most set up 2wd sct I have ever seen/put together, I was comparing it to my sc10.2 witch I had almost 2 grand in and it dosent hold a candle to this in quality of materials and craftsmanship however I say that respectfully as the 10.2 is a grand champ how ever I credit that to its drivers as tebo has proven to be a rather weak individual when it comes to sct. The carbon fiber diggity design kit is serious, this rig is all business from the finest bearings to the almost blue printed and balanced feel and quality from the shimmed and zero slop drive line and suspension, the only parts left from the original kit are the front and rear bumpers and A arm's and it is now mostly carbon composite and CF and looks mean, I'm glad were racing on carpet, I spent a lot of money on her and I'm really proud of this Sc-r I still have a few things in the works for her like a triad slipper clutch and I still want gold titanium turn buckles, pro line primes or smoothies and there is still 687$ worth of stuff in my wishlist on Amain oh and big bores, there's also an all Sanwa electronics system in her future servo and esc, and if time permits I would like to track down the strc all red aluminum hop ups the whole sha-bang I heard the red was a limited run , Im also going to grab a shorty pack even tho she will be under weight. all and all I would pit her against any of the new sct with confidence, AS matter of fact I'M GOING TO !!!

Ill post some new pics !!!

Last edited by PhilipBGreen; 01-11-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.