Wiki Posts
Search

New Tekin SC4X Motors

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lbckevin
Definately not true...LOSI never submitted to ROAR for approval.
Well, I guess it's a good thing that no big races within 500 miles of me runs ROAR rules then

If I go any farther than that to race....it will be with a helmet on and not with a toy car

If you are such a ROAR zealot, why are you in this thread...this whole thread is on a line of motors thats also not ROAR approved.....
Old 10-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I wouldn't go so far as to say the Tekin is subpar, my 4.5 performs exactly like a 4.5 should. My disappointment was that "so far" the Tekin 4.5 performs exactly like the novak 4.5. I had 1 full race day and spent an extra $35 in pinions trying to get the right gearing. I also played a little with the RX8 settings. It looks to be build very good as well.

In no way am I a novak fanboy, I had my last novak fail after 3 race days. What I hope from the Tekin is it will be a little better quality, which only time will tell if it is. I don't have any intentions of pulling the Tekin from my truck, I'll continue to play with it to see if I can make it better...right now it is performing on par with the novak. I did not see this loss in torque that Ridley speaks of. I suspect he didn't try to gear it up like I did, with the same gearing as the novak, then yes, it is slow. Geared up it really awakens this motor. As I said before, try +4 on the pinion.

I think all Rindley is saying is the Tekin did not live up to the hype.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My setup is pretty basic for the most part:

Timing Advance set to 55
Start rpm is at 5k, End at 20k.

I agree that this motor takes more gear than others.

On the Losi do you guys know the internal diff ratio? This will help me give you gearing reccomendations.

Ridley, I get it. You're not impressed. That's fine move on.

The Prez nor I are hear to blow smoke up anyones ass. I'm here to help everyone get the most out of their Tekin products.

If you simply dropped this motor in and expected it to work the same as the others then you'll be dissapointed. The Sc4x needs more gear than the "others."

I still want to know what settings you guys used on the speedo. If you're so knowledgeable you should know that the esc settings can make or break a setup.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike

Timing Advance set to 55

On the Losi do you guys know the internal diff ratio? This will help me give you gearing reccomendations.

The Prez nor I are hear to blow smoke up anyones ass. I'm here to help everyone get the most out of their Tekin products.

If you simply dropped this motor in and expected it to work the same as the others then you'll be dissapointed. The Sc4x needs more gear than the "others."

I still want to know what settings you guys used on the speedo. If you're so knowledgeable you should know that the esc settings can make or break a setup.
IDR is 3.8888888

I didn't do to much timing as I was still playing with gearing. I am also the first in my area to have a Tekin so I didn't have anyone to ask for help. At least I'll have a better answer for the next guy that gets one

Thanks
Old 10-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Randy..

What speedo are you using with those settings...?
Old 10-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

hey ridley, i will take that motor of your hands, free of charge
Old 10-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I had the same motor issue going from a Speed Passion V1 4.5 550 to the Novak 4.5 Ballistic. It never seemed as 'Ballistic' as I was expecting. But I got to thinking, since it was the same wind I should not have expected to much in the performance boost. It been a great motor I can not complain but the name doesn't fit, it's not really ballistic compared to the SP's IMO.

My plan with the Tekin motor is 3S with the 5.5 or 6.5 and the RX8. Not expecting anything spectacular just higher quality builds. And at this point I just want a 550 4wd SC system without cog or letting smoke out of 1/10th electronics. I'm on my 3rd MMP (yes with the external BEC and receiver cap)... When I used the RS Pro with the 550's it was a great thing, hope the RX8 will impress me as much as the little one did.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm using the Rx8 in mine right now. I too will be running this combo a lot more and setting up more gearing guides.

Wow 3.88? That's WAY low for a 1/10 SCT truck....Yeah big pinions will be in order.

How much are those trucks weiging in at ?
Old 10-17-2010, 09:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Questions??

Originally Posted by XXXDad
Randy I have the 5.5SC with the RX8, it's going in the Ten Losi Conversion I made..... The Monster rc Kit comes with a 52 sper gear... I ordered the kit with a 18T pinion. Will this be OK for a Med./ Small track? To Tall? OR not tall enough??

Timing Advance set to 55

I'm using the Rx8 in mine right now. I too will be running this combo a lot more and setting up more gearing guides.

Wow 3.88? That's WAY low for a 1/10 SCT truck....Yeah big pinions will be in order.

How BIG is big on the Pinion... stuck with 52t sper for now! Is 18t with the 5.5 way off?
Old 10-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

What is the diameter of the rotor in the SC4X? If it is bigger than the "other" rotor that would be a simple and easy to understand explanation as to why it needs more gear and why it is not a drop-in replacement.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Mine weighs in at 6.95 lbs, and with the monster conversion we use .08 pitch pinions, the spur is 52T, we can't change it.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by XXXDad
How BIG is big on the Pinion... stuck with 52t sper for now! Is 18t with the 5.5 way off?
As I replied before, IMO 18 will be way too small.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Questions??

Originally Posted by LosiSuperTruck
As I replied before, IMO 18 will be way too small.
so you think 20-22?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Tech Master

I'd start with a 21, then go to a 23 if that isn't enough.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Any thoughts on gearing with the new SC4X and Slash 4x4? With Novak 550's most people seem to be running 16 or 17T pinions on 2S with the 4.5.

I've got an RX8 and SC4X 5.5T on order and wanted to get some pinions ordered so they'll be ready to go once the motor and ESC arrive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.