R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Turnigy lipos ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/341048-turnigy-lipos.html)

2dialed 11-19-2009 12:05 PM

when soldering huge wire like 10 gage or even 8 gage it helps to have a big chisel tip, around 5mm or 3/16th at least with about 60 watts of iron

jmcvicker 11-19-2009 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by 2dialed (Post 6619843)
when soldering huge wire like 10 gage or even 8 gage it helps to have a big chisel tip, around 5mm or 3/16th at least with about 60 watts of iron

+1 - definitely need heat and tip changes for "heat sucking" thick wires.

burnineyes 11-19-2009 01:14 PM

Once I went all lipo I sold my big iron, not building batteries anymore so I dont need it. All I use now is a 40W pencil tip, with no problems, even on large wire. I can get it done without burning my fingers 2 inches back.

pirape 11-19-2009 07:39 PM

Brand vs turnigy

I noticed that most of the time a brand Lipo (2s)was around 5000-to 6500 mAH with 30-40c (129.99-169.99) see maxx amp website

and a no name/turnigy Lipo was 3700mAH-5000 10-20c(19.99-29.99)

My question:

are the brand using better quality? or they just writing trash to get all the purchases on their sides? seems like their is no underground lipo that are(2s) 5000+ Mah with 30c...

or am I just blind?

Briguy 11-19-2009 10:06 PM

Zippy Lightspeed packs[basically the same as Turnigy] are 5200 with a 30C rating . Ran mine taoday for the first time and very impressed . They perform much better then my $100 Reedy 5000 30C pack and they stay balanced , unlike my Reedy pack . IMO Maxamps is overpriced and over rated for what they actually are .

kneedeeppow 11-21-2009 08:35 PM

i bought two turigy 5000mah 4s 30c packs for my brushless mbx5t and am thoughly impressed with them.was advised to get other brands that were almost double the price but i bet there is nowhere near double the performance.running 46t spur with 15t pinion i get 18 minutes run time out of a pack.pretty happy with that:)

team orange 08-14-2010 09:05 PM

I recently acquired a couple Turnigy 4S 4500 hard case packs that came with an 1/8th scale buggy I bought. I've used the batteries a few times and I have to say I'm impressed by the punch and run times the Turnigy's have. I tried looking up some reviews on the packs since I was skeptical (probably like everyone else) on how cheap these packs were compared to what the name brands charge. Most of the good battery reviews looked like they were from guys who just got bought the packs, not from guys who have had them a while. My question is this, Who has had Turnigy packs for at least a year or two and still have good luck with them? It would be great to get batteries for cheap but if they don't last a year then they might not be as great a deal as I thought. Some of the name brand packs I have are over 3 years old and still work as good as new. I'm hoping the Turnigy's will do the same.

Briguy 08-14-2010 09:14 PM

Mine are still like new . Even if they only last a year , still cheaper then name brand ones .

team orange 08-14-2010 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Briguy (Post 7806670)
Mine are still like new . Even if they only last a year , still cheaper then name brand ones .

If the Turnigy packs give up after a year I'll pass, I would rather save the hassle of buying new "junk" packs every year and just buy one that will last. Plus if the battery goes out and happens to take a speed control and a chassis with it is it cheaper? I'm all for saving a buck but I'd like to hear from some guys who've run these packs for a while and can verify that after a year they're still running before I lay down my hard earned cash.

Briguy 08-15-2010 03:08 AM

Lipo issues of burning up is 90% from user error and not from using a "junk" lipo . I have compared my :junk" lipos to the name brand lipos I have and they have more punch and overall perform better then many of the $100 lipos compared to same mah and discharge rating .

fx104life 08-15-2010 03:22 AM

I know I'm a newby but whats the difference

whats the difference between lipos and your ordinary 6 to 7 cell battery pack and also do you have to run a brushless motor with lipos ???? :confused:

Briguy 08-15-2010 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by fx104life (Post 7807458)
whats the difference between lipos and your ordinary 6 to 7 cell battery pack and also do you have to run a brushless motor with lipos ???? :confused:

No , you do not need to run brushless with lipos , but you do need a lipo cut-off if your ESC doesn`t have one. The difference between lipo and NIMH is you get more punch , more power , and the voltage stays longer instead of dumping like NIMH and NICAD batts .

A few years ago I was running NIMH and brushed and didn`t want to move to brushless lipo . One day a friend at the track let me drive his brushless lipo truck . All I could say was WOW , by next weeks race I sold all my batteries , motors , and ESCs and bought brushless and lipo setups for my cars . It is a night and day difference . Running brushless with lipo is a lot more efficient which gives you more performance while gaining more run time .

morgoth 08-15-2010 04:05 AM

I have 3 Turnigy's lipo for my Mugen mbx6. 4S 40C 5000mah. Never had any problem with them.Some are guys that were only running Hyperion bought a 40C 4S 5000mah to test and they were amazed with the performance. They even said it had a little more punch than there 35C 5500mah Hyperions.

Duster_360 08-15-2010 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Briguy (Post 7807491)
.....All I could say was WOW , by next weeks race I sold all my batteries , motors , and ESCs and bought brushless and lipo setups for my cars . It is a night and day difference . Running brushless with lipo is a lot more efficient which gives you more performance while gaining more run time .

Another benefit with changing - all the maintenance needed for brushed also goes away changing to brushless. You get to spend all that time you used to spend cutting comms, tweaking brushes, aligning brushes, etc, etc running or practicing...