R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Turnigy lipos ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/341048-turnigy-lipos.html)

BuggyKing 11-17-2009 07:48 PM

never heard of these lipos. I take it they r good then.

interplanet 11-17-2009 07:51 PM

the new wires are odd, just cut a little off and try again, worked on mine.

dnrcustoms 11-17-2009 07:59 PM

pretty sure I will order some 4s or 5s turnigy batteries soon. About how long does it take for shipping to get the batteries to the states?

burnineyes 11-17-2009 08:00 PM

if you use standard shipping I have seen it take up to 3 weeks, but usually you will get in in 2. With the EMS express I had my stuff in 4 days.

Briguy 11-17-2009 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by cjwilly (Post 6613340)
I have a 2s turingy 5000mah lipo and am having the darndest time tinning the wires. It seems that the wire is coated and I cannot get this stuff to accept solder. An electronics buddy of mine thinks it might be aluminum coated copper? I know how to solder, how to tin an iron, and this is really frustrating me? Any ideas?

You did use flux , right ?

tom2tone 11-17-2009 10:02 PM

I just purchased a turnigy 4s 5000mah 30c lipo today after hearing such great responses. I was also wondering on how everyone was reconnecting their favored connectors? Are you just cutting off the connectors that are on the battery and adding deans or whatever.

segmentfault 11-17-2009 10:10 PM

I just use Traxxas connectors. I like them better than Deans, but they are basically all the same in the end. Just personal preference.

JAMNJEFF 11-18-2009 12:20 AM

I just got a couple Turnigy 3600mah for the slash, for messing around. They work as well as my brand name batteries, I do always make sure to bring my brand name hardcase Lipos to the races, just incase I get teched and they say no go on the Turnigy soft pack battery. Im a newbie still but have raced almost every weekend for the past 4 months and have seen many blue packs out there in everything from high dollar 1/8th to Slashes.

NitroViper6 11-18-2009 12:34 AM

yes, the Turnigy's are pretty good !! got 4 4S packs for the price of "ONE" brand name pack, "Lithum Polymer" is "Lithum Polymer"
the only difference is the "Chemical make up for the Discharge rates"
(ie. 20C,30C,40C etc.) different rates for different applications.
dont be suprised if you "Crack open" the case on some of those "Over priced" packs and find a Turnigy staring back at you;)
for shipping on the ones over seas, if you get the EMS if you order some on say a monday you'll have your packs before race day of the "Same Week" :nod:
oddly enough? all lithum polymer packs for the R/C industry come from over seas.....the One in the U.S. is for the Automotive industry.
and Sony has now picked up on the market so there gonna do some up too!

cjwilly 11-18-2009 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by interplanet (Post 6613524)
the new wires are odd, just cut a little off and try again, worked on mine.

Tried that, no help.

cjwilly 11-18-2009 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Briguy (Post 6613766)
You did use flux , right ?

Used rosin core solder. Had three people that should know said that it wouldn't have made a difference. (but I plan on picking some up to try)

Briguy 11-19-2009 07:10 AM

Even using rosin core solder , fluxing the wires makes a huge difference . Anyone that says it doesn`t probably hasn`t tried it or used the wrong stuff .

JMYBFFT 11-19-2009 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Toddzilla (Post 6555436)
I had 2 zippy flightmax hard case 4000 mah 25c batteries about a year ago.

While they worked they were awesome, they performed great.

However, one died after about 2 months and the other after about 3 months.

While the cells themselves obviously work well, the quality control and soldering inside of them are nothing short of horrendous.

I recently bought two of these and they are working great for me so far. If you look at the website they address the soldering issue of the packs and state that the current ones have corrected this issue.

burnineyes 11-19-2009 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Briguy (Post 6619023)
Even using rosin core solder , fluxing the wires makes a huge difference . Anyone that says it doesn`t probably hasn`t tried it or used the wrong stuff .

I agree, I put Deans on my 5s 5000mah Turnigy with no problems. This pack uses 10 gauge wire, I thought for sure it would be a pain, but it sucked right into the wire no prob with cheap flux.

Dave H 11-19-2009 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Briguy (Post 6619023)

Well said. Regardless of the brand or type of solder. Just to clarify, plumbers flux would be the wrong stuff, need to use electrical flux.