R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Turnigy lipos ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/341048-turnigy-lipos.html)

Briguy 11-01-2009 08:44 PM

Turnigy lipos ?

Anyone have any experience with their lipos ? I`ve always bought higher end lipos but curious about Turnigy lipos .

tom_chang79 11-01-2009 08:51 PM

I don't see anything wrong with Turnigy stuff. Been thinking about getting some myself when my nickels gets worn...

You're essentially paying for tech support, quality control (rejecting or acceptance of stuff from some standard), and sometimes testing for the "branded" stuff...

As far as I know, there are no LiPos being made for our hobby market domestically. I believe all LiPos comes from China...

Many of these are just rebadge of each other, with certain "name brands" maybe getting the best out of the bunch...

It's all a crap shoot IMO, but if you want good tech support, you gotta get the domestic stuff. I wouldn't since if you do the math, throwing away a battery pack out of 5 or 6 comes out to be about the same price as buying one good one.

burnineyes 11-01-2009 08:51 PM

Give them a chance. Many people call them "knock-offs" or cheap chinese imitations, but I know from experience they are way more than that. They are very deserving of being called a name brand battery. I have several Turnigy, and Zippy Lipos. They all perform extremely well and have at least their advertised capacity after many cycles.

nelson6500 11-01-2009 09:00 PM

I just got their 4s 5000 30c packs for my son's truggy and they performed like the high dollar lipos.

Matt

Shimmy 11-01-2009 09:56 PM

I have 2 of their 2s 5000 mah 20c hardcase ones.

Have put a few runs on them so far and still going strong.

No complaint's here.

Slashtastic 11-01-2009 10:01 PM

yea i love these batterys. i have over 70 cycles on mine i will keep buyn from them

segmentfault 11-01-2009 10:05 PM

If you pay any more than $20 for a 2s 20c, or $65 for a 4s 30c, you're getting ripped. Turnigy all the way!

tom_chang79 11-01-2009 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by segmentfault (Post 6552036)
If you pay any more than $20 for a 2s 20c, or $65 for a 4s 30c, you're getting ripped. Turnigy all the way!

+1 :nod:

newhobby 11-01-2009 10:09 PM

I run the 4S 5000 30C in my 8E...fantastic batteries!!! 3 Batteries, all working like achamp.

infernotb 11-01-2009 10:15 PM

i got one of the 2s 5000mah hardcase packs, it would not charge on my imax b6 charger, it said voltage was to low, one cell is almost 1v below the other and i cant get it to balance,

on the other hand the zippy flightmax 2s 4000mah 25c hardcase are awesome, one was used to win out north island electric truck champs, no complaints there!

Jmfknpizzle 11-01-2009 10:18 PM

i run turnigy in all my vehicles they are great

Slashtastic 11-01-2009 10:46 PM

i know i have saved enouf money buyn 20 turnigy batters rather than 120 or more maxamp batterys. that it paid for new brushless systems, to me ur crazy not to by turnigy or zippy.

Ride1226 11-01-2009 11:29 PM

I have:

3 2s turnigy 1600 30c
3 2s turnigy 1250 30c
2 4s turnigy 5000 30c
1 6s turnigy 5000 25c

All have worked perfect.

I run them in:
Brushless LST
Brushless Hyper 7
Losi comp crawler
xray m18
losi mini t
TRex 600esp

None of the above have ever noticed the difference between a high dollar lipo and Turnigy cells. I have also out of all of those packs never had a bad one. My 6s 5000mah got pretty out of balance but with a Blinky balancer and a whole lot of waiting I evened everything back out and it charges and discharges just fine now.

BikeisDusty 11-02-2009 03:48 AM

I have 2 Zippy and 6 Rinho in various sizes. The Zippies are hard case 4000 25C. I can wheelie my Rustler VXL on the 2S Zippy. I could not do that with NIMH 7 cells. I am satisfied that I got 6 batteries shipped for the price of a single high cap maxamps.

Note that these batteries may require you to do some engineering as the connectors come out in odd places. I went with the 25C 4000 hard case as the connectors come out of the top. The 30C 2S connectors are on the side. I would of had to rework the rustler chassis to make it fit. The Rinho 3S 4000 I bought is a short and tall battery. That was more challenge to get the parts and come up with a way to make the battery not fall out of the Rustler.

Also note the size of the batteries and measure before you buy. They have some odd sizes that may not fit you application. They have a 50C Polyquest that is 163mm long. The 2S 4000 hard case zippy is 137mm. While it would be cool to have the 50C. That battery is not going to naturally fit in my Rustler. Be sure to check the length, width, and height before you buy.

segmentfault 11-02-2009 06:08 AM

If MaxAmp$ was really worth the $200 more per battery than the Turnigy batteries, they would be posting graphs and statistics all over the Internet dispelling the performance of the cheaper batteries. The fact of the matter is, there isn't a $200 difference, so there is there nothing to dispel.

I felt real bad for a guy whom showed up at the track the other day with a brand new MaxAmp$ battery and then saw the performance of my Turnigy and asked how much it was. Put it this way, he's not buying MaxAmp$ on his next purchase.

But let's not just concentrate on MaxAmps, almost all American lipo companies are ripping the shirt off your back. There are some more competitive companies like SPC, but you're still paying double the amount you should be.

It's like this. American Lipo companies are like a restaurant, and Turnigy is like the raw food at the supermarket. You can go to the restaurant and get great service, even complain if your food stinks or makes you sick and get them to make you a new dish. Expect to pay for the people's wages at the restaurant for the great service you got, and expect to pay a markup on the food as well. In the end, you spent 10 times the amount on a burger than what you would of got it for if you went straight to the source.

Justpassedu 11-02-2009 06:20 AM

I just bought a 5000mah 20c for $20 plus shipping and so far so good , works perfectly and great price , id def. consider giving one a try at this price and if you dont like it well you didnt spend much ...

J-milz 11-02-2009 08:19 AM

I recently started racing when the Slash classes became the rave. I bought $160 lipo pack not doing any research on a crappy charger and the pack swelled after two trips to the track :flaming:. A racer at the Barn put me on to the Turnigy packs and I bought a few of them. They're great! Especially for a guy like me who gets to race 1-2 per month :cry:.

I even bought a Turnigy 13t b'less motor and speed control for les than $80 for the set, to try it out. Has anyone ever used these? Or should i have stopped at just the batteries?

Briguy 11-02-2009 01:08 PM

Thanks for all the replies ! I ordered two Zippy 5200 30C lipos as the Turnigy 5000 were bigger and don`t think they would fit in my truck and know for sure they won`t fit my buggy .

chokopops 11-02-2009 02:06 PM

Does Zippy or Turnigy make saddle packs aswell?

Thanks

Briguy 11-02-2009 02:17 PM

Believe I seen one or two when browsing .

devilchrist 11-02-2009 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by J-milz (Post 6553455)
I recently started racing when the Slash classes became the rave. I bought $160 lipo pack not doing any research on a crappy charger and the pack swelled after two trips to the track :flaming:. A racer at the Barn put me on to the Turnigy packs and I bought a few of them. They're great! Especially for a guy like me who gets to race 1-2 per month :cry:.

I even bought a Turnigy 13t b'less motor and speed control for les than $80 for the set, to try it out. Has anyone ever used these? Or should i have stopped at just the batteries?

turnigy ESC seems to be rebadged hobbywing, which are known to be good.

I use the turnigy 150A ESC on the truggy and 60A on the blitz. they both work great.

not sure on the motor though,

segmentfault 11-02-2009 03:19 PM

I asked a question in the MaxAmp$ section here once, and it got deleted without any reply or reason.

My question was:

Could someone at MaxAmps please provide me with a reason why the Brands prices are so high compared to comparable batteries? Is there something that sets MaxAmps batteries apart from your competition?

After that, I had no reason to even try to defend them. I asked a simple question that just went in to the void. I guess the best way to deal with a question there is no answer to is just to delete it and forget it was even asked?

Briguy 11-02-2009 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by segmentfault (Post 6554867)
I asked a question in the MaxAmp$ section here once, and it got deleted without any reply or reason.

My question was:

Could someone at MaxAmps please provide me with a reason why the Brands prices are so high compared to comparable batteries? Is there something that sets MaxAmps batteries apart from your competition?

After that, I had no reason to even try to defend them. I asked a simple question that just went in to the void. I guess the best way to deal with a question there is no answer to is just to delete it and forget it was even asked?

Maxamps is over rated and over priced . I had a few of their lipos and they sucked compared to Orion , SMC , and others .

Briguy 11-02-2009 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by segmentfault (Post 6554867)

My question was:

Maxamps is over rated and over priced . I had a few of their lipos and they sucked compared to Orion , SMC , and others .

jmcvicker 11-02-2009 03:39 PM

No worries about brand names, etc. Enjoy the Zippy or Turnigy and that's enough. Asking a vendor why they cost too much, etc. - that just leads to a lot of flame wars. Forget the why's and what-for's and just enjoy the blue packs.

I have a lot of blue packs - love them and don't know I could even run RC if I had to buy them all from name-brand dealers. The Turnigy that one poster said was too wide - those are more aligned to the size of the battery trays such as the Losi 1/8 scale. You can find a variety that fits 1/10th scale bays (like T4 and B4, Slash, etc) and Turnigy and Zippy both have hard-case packs which are fine.

segmentfault 11-02-2009 03:53 PM

I asked because I wanted to know if I was missing something, not to start a flame war.

Duster_360 11-02-2009 03:57 PM

You ever notice how much advertising they do? That money's got to come from somewhere....

Toddzilla 11-02-2009 05:17 PM

I had 2 zippy flightmax hard case 4000 mah 25c batteries about a year ago.

While they worked they were awesome, they performed great.

However, one died after about 2 months and the other after about 3 months.

While the cells themselves obviously work well, the quality control and soldering inside of them are nothing short of horrendous.

Slashtastic 11-02-2009 05:34 PM

i havnt had any soldering messed up in mine. maybe just a bad batch

cjwilly 11-17-2009 07:14 PM

Anyone have any problems soldering on new connectors?

I have a 2s turingy 5000mah lipo and am having the darndest time tinning the wires. It seems that the wire is coated and I cannot get this stuff to accept solder. An electronics buddy of mine thinks it might be aluminum coated copper? I know how to solder, how to tin an iron, and this is really frustrating me? Any ideas?

BuggyKing 11-17-2009 07:48 PM

never heard of these lipos. I take it they r good then.

interplanet 11-17-2009 07:51 PM

the new wires are odd, just cut a little off and try again, worked on mine.

dnrcustoms 11-17-2009 07:59 PM

pretty sure I will order some 4s or 5s turnigy batteries soon. About how long does it take for shipping to get the batteries to the states?

burnineyes 11-17-2009 08:00 PM

if you use standard shipping I have seen it take up to 3 weeks, but usually you will get in in 2. With the EMS express I had my stuff in 4 days.

Briguy 11-17-2009 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by cjwilly (Post 6613340)
I have a 2s turingy 5000mah lipo and am having the darndest time tinning the wires. It seems that the wire is coated and I cannot get this stuff to accept solder. An electronics buddy of mine thinks it might be aluminum coated copper? I know how to solder, how to tin an iron, and this is really frustrating me? Any ideas?

You did use flux , right ?

tom2tone 11-17-2009 10:02 PM

I just purchased a turnigy 4s 5000mah 30c lipo today after hearing such great responses. I was also wondering on how everyone was reconnecting their favored connectors? Are you just cutting off the connectors that are on the battery and adding deans or whatever.

segmentfault 11-17-2009 10:10 PM

I just use Traxxas connectors. I like them better than Deans, but they are basically all the same in the end. Just personal preference.

JAMNJEFF 11-18-2009 12:20 AM

I just got a couple Turnigy 3600mah for the slash, for messing around. They work as well as my brand name batteries, I do always make sure to bring my brand name hardcase Lipos to the races, just incase I get teched and they say no go on the Turnigy soft pack battery. Im a newbie still but have raced almost every weekend for the past 4 months and have seen many blue packs out there in everything from high dollar 1/8th to Slashes.

NitroViper6 11-18-2009 12:34 AM

yes, the Turnigy's are pretty good !! got 4 4S packs for the price of "ONE" brand name pack, "Lithum Polymer" is "Lithum Polymer"
the only difference is the "Chemical make up for the Discharge rates"
(ie. 20C,30C,40C etc.) different rates for different applications.
dont be suprised if you "Crack open" the case on some of those "Over priced" packs and find a Turnigy staring back at you;)
for shipping on the ones over seas, if you get the EMS if you order some on say a monday you'll have your packs before race day of the "Same Week" :nod:
oddly enough? all lithum polymer packs for the R/C industry come from over seas.....the One in the U.S. is for the Automotive industry.
and Sony has now picked up on the market so there gonna do some up too!

cjwilly 11-18-2009 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by interplanet (Post 6613524)
the new wires are odd, just cut a little off and try again, worked on mine.

Tried that, no help.