R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Turnigy lipos ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/341048-turnigy-lipos.html)

Briguy 11-01-2009 08:44 PM

Turnigy lipos ?

Anyone have any experience with their lipos ? I`ve always bought higher end lipos but curious about Turnigy lipos .

tom_chang79 11-01-2009 08:51 PM

I don't see anything wrong with Turnigy stuff. Been thinking about getting some myself when my nickels gets worn...

You're essentially paying for tech support, quality control (rejecting or acceptance of stuff from some standard), and sometimes testing for the "branded" stuff...

As far as I know, there are no LiPos being made for our hobby market domestically. I believe all LiPos comes from China...

Many of these are just rebadge of each other, with certain "name brands" maybe getting the best out of the bunch...

It's all a crap shoot IMO, but if you want good tech support, you gotta get the domestic stuff. I wouldn't since if you do the math, throwing away a battery pack out of 5 or 6 comes out to be about the same price as buying one good one.

burnineyes 11-01-2009 08:51 PM

Give them a chance. Many people call them "knock-offs" or cheap chinese imitations, but I know from experience they are way more than that. They are very deserving of being called a name brand battery. I have several Turnigy, and Zippy Lipos. They all perform extremely well and have at least their advertised capacity after many cycles.

nelson6500 11-01-2009 09:00 PM

I just got their 4s 5000 30c packs for my son's truggy and they performed like the high dollar lipos.

Matt

Shimmy 11-01-2009 09:56 PM

I have 2 of their 2s 5000 mah 20c hardcase ones.

Have put a few runs on them so far and still going strong.

No complaint's here.

Slashtastic 11-01-2009 10:01 PM

yea i love these batterys. i have over 70 cycles on mine i will keep buyn from them

segmentfault 11-01-2009 10:05 PM

If you pay any more than $20 for a 2s 20c, or $65 for a 4s 30c, you're getting ripped. Turnigy all the way!

tom_chang79 11-01-2009 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by segmentfault (Post 6552036)
If you pay any more than $20 for a 2s 20c, or $65 for a 4s 30c, you're getting ripped. Turnigy all the way!

+1 :nod:

newhobby 11-01-2009 10:09 PM

I run the 4S 5000 30C in my 8E...fantastic batteries!!! 3 Batteries, all working like achamp.

infernotb 11-01-2009 10:15 PM

i got one of the 2s 5000mah hardcase packs, it would not charge on my imax b6 charger, it said voltage was to low, one cell is almost 1v below the other and i cant get it to balance,

on the other hand the zippy flightmax 2s 4000mah 25c hardcase are awesome, one was used to win out north island electric truck champs, no complaints there!

Jmfknpizzle 11-01-2009 10:18 PM

i run turnigy in all my vehicles they are great

Slashtastic 11-01-2009 10:46 PM

i know i have saved enouf money buyn 20 turnigy batters rather than 120 or more maxamp batterys. that it paid for new brushless systems, to me ur crazy not to by turnigy or zippy.

Ride1226 11-01-2009 11:29 PM

I have:

3 2s turnigy 1600 30c
3 2s turnigy 1250 30c
2 4s turnigy 5000 30c
1 6s turnigy 5000 25c

All have worked perfect.

I run them in:
Brushless LST
Brushless Hyper 7
Losi comp crawler
xray m18
losi mini t
TRex 600esp

None of the above have ever noticed the difference between a high dollar lipo and Turnigy cells. I have also out of all of those packs never had a bad one. My 6s 5000mah got pretty out of balance but with a Blinky balancer and a whole lot of waiting I evened everything back out and it charges and discharges just fine now.

BikeisDusty 11-02-2009 03:48 AM

I have 2 Zippy and 6 Rinho in various sizes. The Zippies are hard case 4000 25C. I can wheelie my Rustler VXL on the 2S Zippy. I could not do that with NIMH 7 cells. I am satisfied that I got 6 batteries shipped for the price of a single high cap maxamps.

Note that these batteries may require you to do some engineering as the connectors come out in odd places. I went with the 25C 4000 hard case as the connectors come out of the top. The 30C 2S connectors are on the side. I would of had to rework the rustler chassis to make it fit. The Rinho 3S 4000 I bought is a short and tall battery. That was more challenge to get the parts and come up with a way to make the battery not fall out of the Rustler.

Also note the size of the batteries and measure before you buy. They have some odd sizes that may not fit you application. They have a 50C Polyquest that is 163mm long. The 2S 4000 hard case zippy is 137mm. While it would be cool to have the 50C. That battery is not going to naturally fit in my Rustler. Be sure to check the length, width, and height before you buy.

segmentfault 11-02-2009 06:08 AM

If MaxAmp$ was really worth the $200 more per battery than the Turnigy batteries, they would be posting graphs and statistics all over the Internet dispelling the performance of the cheaper batteries. The fact of the matter is, there isn't a $200 difference, so there is there nothing to dispel.

I felt real bad for a guy whom showed up at the track the other day with a brand new MaxAmp$ battery and then saw the performance of my Turnigy and asked how much it was. Put it this way, he's not buying MaxAmp$ on his next purchase.

But let's not just concentrate on MaxAmps, almost all American lipo companies are ripping the shirt off your back. There are some more competitive companies like SPC, but you're still paying double the amount you should be.

It's like this. American Lipo companies are like a restaurant, and Turnigy is like the raw food at the supermarket. You can go to the restaurant and get great service, even complain if your food stinks or makes you sick and get them to make you a new dish. Expect to pay for the people's wages at the restaurant for the great service you got, and expect to pay a markup on the food as well. In the end, you spent 10 times the amount on a burger than what you would of got it for if you went straight to the source.