Wiki Posts
Search

Mamba Max Pro

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrock32
I has pretty pissed when mine quit as well... But when I called them up the following monday, hey had a replacement in the mail with a return shipping label. I received it today!
Give them a ring and they will take care of ya.....
Yea, I don't have access to a phone. So, I sent them an e-mail. I hope they respond soon. I don't know when there office opens again.

I just hope they don't say it is my fault and they can't replace it. This esc is brand new. I baught it un June and used it maybe not even 20 times!
Old 12-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Need some help. I am hoping someone could help me with settings for a ballistic 17.5 in an ultima sc-r. I need to know punc and boost settings. I've only used the MMP in 8th up until now. Thanks
Old 12-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B4power
Yea, I don't have access to a phone. So, I sent them an e-mail. I hope they respond soon. I don't know when there office opens again.

I just hope they don't say it is my fault and they can't replace it. This esc is brand new. I baught it un June and used it maybe not even 20 times!
They will reply back although it does take some time... 4-5 days. I would make sure to put as much info into the email as possible.

Jordan
Old 12-31-2010, 04:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by slaytanic
Need some help. I am hoping someone could help me with settings for a ballistic 17.5 in an ultima sc-r. I need to know punc and boost settings. I've only used the MMP in 8th up until now. Thanks
Punch control takes torque out of the bottom end. You don't need punch control in a 17.5T motor.

The Ballistic motors come with 30deg of static timing with the timing mark at N. If you are going to run timing in the ESC, back the timing down to 6deg or so at the timing ring on the motor. If you don't do this, you will run too hot with the timing I suggest.

First, make sure you update to the latest software update and firmware for CastleLink. Set your basic options. In the advanced tab, set to run in sensored only mode so you can run Cheat Mode timing. Select 40 degrees of timing. Go to custom on the rpm range and select 8,000rpm for the starting point and 10,900rpm for full advance. Click the update tab to program your changes.

Make sure you have the proper gearing. I run my SC10 and XXX-SCT in the 8.3 to 8.65FDR range. Set your gearing appropriately for your track, speed desired for length of longest straightaway, and motor temps. Do not get that motor over 170F! Run it for a few minutes and temp it. make adjustments to gearing and if still hot, back down on the timing in the MMP.
I typically would run my Ballistic motor in the 145 to 155F range. In the Summer it would get hot and I would have to keep a close eye on it. I run a Tekin 17.5 motor with MMP in my SCT currently with the above timing. In 50F weather I am only seeing 120F max after a 7min main. I could crank it up to 45deg of timing now with out cooler Winter temps but it is just crazy fast as it is. Makes my 10.5 motor with no ESC timing feel slow.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F_ME
Punch control takes torque out of the bottom end. You don't need punch control in a 17.5T motor.

The Ballistic motors come with 30deg of static timing with the timing mark at N. If you are going to run timing in the ESC, back the timing down to 6deg or so at the timing ring on the motor. If you don't do this, you will run too hot with the timing I suggest.

First, make sure you update to the latest software update and firmware for CastleLink. Set your basic options. In the advanced tab, set to run in sensored only mode so you can run Cheat Mode timing. Select 40 degrees of timing. Go to custom on the rpm range and select 8,000rpm for the starting point and 10,900rpm for full advance. Click the update tab to program your changes.

Make sure you have the proper gearing. I run my SC10 and XXX-SCT in the 8.3 to 8.65FDR range. Set your gearing appropriately for your track, speed desired for length of longest straightaway, and motor temps. Do not get that motor over 170F! Run it for a few minutes and temp it. make adjustments to gearing and if still hot, back down on the timing in the MMP.
I typically would run my Ballistic motor in the 145 to 155F range. In the Summer it would get hot and I would have to keep a close eye on it. I run a Tekin 17.5 motor with MMP in my SCT currently with the above timing. In 50F weather I am only seeing 120F max after a 7min main. I could crank it up to 45deg of timing now with out cooler Winter temps but it is just crazy fast as it is. Makes my 10.5 motor with no ESC timing feel slow.
I agree except the track I run on is really loose, so I use the new torque control feature to limit the "punch" out of the corner. Keeps the truck feeling really planted. And makes it easier to drive. Works better than trying to fine tune the slipper clutch. Remember just because the wheels spins doesn't mean you are going faster. Especially when coming out of a corner. And although the 17.5 is not like the 5.5 it still makes plenty of low end torque.

And yes with timing the 17.5 SC trucks are just as fast as mod.

Last edited by macdude; 12-31-2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-31-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Is there a light or light sequence that will come on when the speedo has the timing at zero? I'm going to a track with no timing rules for stock class and want to be legal. I'm in sensored mode with 0 timing. Is this right? Thanks.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mototech
Is there a light or light sequence that will come on when the speedo has the timing at zero? I'm going to a track with no timing rules for stock class and want to be legal. I'm in sensored mode with 0 timing. Is this right? Thanks.
Yes with no timing the neutral yellow LED will flash. You should also update your firmware, to 1.30.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey, for you guys that have had one of these ESC's let out the funny white smoke - Am I screwed if I cannot find my receipt? I bought it from my LHS about a month ago... Turned the ESC on over the weekend , and POOF! white smoke, bad smell.. All I did was try and put a different software on the ESC b/c I was dealing with a low speed glitch.. Should I just try and mail it in, or give them a call and explain what happened? I think my dog ate my sales receipt
Old 01-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Default Torque Control?

Has anyone had a chance to mess withthe torque control system yet?

Of course I finally have time to dig out my RC stuff again, and we get snow in Santa Clarita, CA.

I updated the firmware, and was a bit surprized to see torque control show up, on my old Mamba Max as well as the new pro. Thanks Castle. I will do the motor tests and see what it actually does. I have turned off punch control because I hated how it slowed the wind up of the wheels, even when in the air, so it killed the attitude control off of jumps. I hope the torque control still gives the spool up when air born.

Oh, for the previous poster, Castle is very good about repairs. Some form of proof when you bought it would be nice, but even without it, they will try to help you out. Give them a call.

Gary
Old 01-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSMnow
Has anyone had a chance to mess withthe torque control system yet?

Of course I finally have time to dig out my RC stuff again, and we get snow in Santa Clarita, CA.

I updated the firmware, and was a bit surprized to see torque control show up, on my old Mamba Max as well as the new pro. Thanks Castle. I will do the motor tests and see what it actually does. I have turned off punch control because I hated how it slowed the wind up of the wheels, even when in the air, so it killed the attitude control off of jumps. I hope the torque control still gives the spool up when air born.

Oh, for the previous poster, Castle is very good about repairs. Some form of proof when you bought it would be nice, but even without it, they will try to help you out. Give them a call.

Gary
Well I found it quite useful on loose loamy tracks where I race. It is much more consistent then using the slipper clutch. Gives the car a nice feel out of the corners. I am not really sure about spool up, but I had no problems with top speed. I was running SC10 with 35 degrees of timing in the controller and it was really fast. I never played with punch control as it always felt too abrupt. But torque control is great. So it the max forward power makes it easy to tune for novice drivers.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I was having trouble with my MMP. High speed servo, 17.5 motor,XXXTCR. Was browning out bad. Put in a Castle bec and now it's fixed. Used F Me's settings for a baseline and it's fast. Too bad to have to buy a bec for a new speed control, but it works.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Harry Sachs
I was having trouble with my MMP. High speed servo, 17.5 motor,XXXTCR. Was browning out bad. Put in a Castle bec and now it's fixed. Used F Me's settings for a baseline and it's fast. Too bad to have to buy a bec for a new speed control, but it works.
It appears that servos near or above 200oz. in torque can cause brown outs in the MMP. Some servos are more power hungery than others. I run an Airtronics servo with 193oz. or torque at 6v and I run 6v in the built in BEC on the MMP without any issues. I do run a cap on the ESC power lines just in case but never had an issue before I put it on. Most 2WD trucks won't need anything near 200oz. of torque. You would only need 200+oz. of torque if running 4wd. In that case, know that you will most likely need an external BEC with the MMP. Not a big deal...what do they cost from Castle...$15 or so?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by macdude
Well I found it quite useful on loose loamy tracks where I race. It is much more consistent then using the slipper clutch. Gives the car a nice feel out of the corners. I am not really sure about spool up, but I had no problems with top speed. I was running SC10 with 35 degrees of timing in the controller and it was really fast. I never played with punch control as it always felt too abrupt. But torque control is great. So it the max forward power makes it easy to tune for novice drivers.
I agree that toque control works better than punch control. I used torque control to smooth out power just off throttle on my 10.5T motor. Punch control was inconsistent for me. I got my 17.5T in my SC10 and XXX-SCT hooked up so I don't feel the need to run at this time. I typically jump 3 to 5 trucks off the lineup at start. Gotta love the MMP bottom end power!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I sent my Mamba Max in last week for replacement, I'm getting a Pro in return. I can't flipping wait till it gets here. A Castle buggy motor should be here today, and when the ESC comes they're both going in my Slash. Pretty excited.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by marooko
I sent my Mamba Max in last week for replacement, I'm getting a Pro in return. I can't flipping wait till it gets here. A Castle buggy motor should be here today, and when the ESC comes they're both going in my Slash. Pretty excited.
Now all you need to do is sell the Slash and get an XXX-SCT to put the MMP and brushless motor in and you will be all set!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.