Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dammit138
I'm not really happy with my most recent soldering job. It works but it's not very clean. In the near future I'm buying a new Soldering station so I don't have to use my Weller Soldering gun. When I get all of this, I plan to desolder the posts on my RX8 and Motor. Is the circuitry strong enough to handle more than the usual 6 to 8 seconds of applied heat? I want to get these as clean as possible before rewiring.
DO NOT desolder or other wise remove the posts. This will void your warranty along with likely damaging the esc.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Smile BIG HELP FROM TEKIN!!!

THANK YOU TY AT TEAM TEKIN TECH SUPPORT!!!! YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!
Old 07-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
DO NOT desolder or other wise remove the posts. This will void your warranty along with likely damaging the esc.
I think he meant that he was just going to desolder the wires off of the posts and motor, at least I hope so.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Tech Regular

Can a 30watt soldering iron generate enough heat to melt the solder on the esc posts, by just touching the post? I couldn't get the solder to melt just by touching the post with the iron (ala Randy's vid) Should I get a higher wattage iron?
Old 07-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Team Tekin

Yup, 30 watts won't get it done. 40 watt may be pushing it. The trick is using a larger tip with the lower watt irons to help transfer heat.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Yup, 30 watts won't get it done. 40 watt may be pushing it. The trick is using a larger tip with the lower watt irons to help transfer heat.
Cool, Thanks Randy!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Nooo no no no this isn't what I wanted to do at all. I just want to remove excess/old solder from the posts. I was going to use a wick roll for desoldering but I was concerned that the excess heat if I kept contact too long would transfer to the circuit board and cause damage.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by Dammit138
Nooo no no no this isn't what I wanted to do at all. I just want to remove excess/old solder from the posts. I was going to use a wick roll for desoldering but I was concerned that the excess heat if I kept contact too long would transfer to the circuit board and cause damage.
Ah, gotcha. Simply heat up the post and tap the esc on a table..it will all fall off.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

So I think my RX8 bricked itself.

Everything has been working fine.

I fired up HotWire to pull some timing out of the motor. Click update settings and the software tells me I need to install the latest HotWire. So i go and download the latest HotWire even though I already had 212 installed. Fire up Hotwire again and try it again and it says the same thing when I try and update settings.

I then plugged the ESC back into the receiver and try to power up the car and the ESC does nothing. No lights flash, no chimes, nothing.

This ESC is only about 3 weeks old.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Team Tekin

Ok, so go back into the hotwire. Hid Advanced, select 212 software, hit "update esc". DO NOT interrupt this operation. Once it's done don't change the settings yet. Plug it back into the car, power it up and see if it works. If so you're good. Go back into the Hotwire and install your favorite setup.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Ok, so go back into the hotwire. Hid Advanced, select 212 software, hit "update esc". DO NOT interrupt this operation. Once it's done don't change the settings yet. Plug it back into the car, power it up and see if it works. If so you're good. Go back into the Hotwire and install your favorite setup.
Make sure you plug the usb cable all the way in too, even though the LED comes on doesn't mean it's all the way in.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 216 (100%+)

I cased out a small triple this last weekend and my RX8 literally broke in half. Not too cool.. Wasn't a hard hit at all. One of those freak things i guess
Old 07-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Tech Master

I had to do it three times but this got it fixed.

Thanks!

I assume sometimes it just hangs while installing the firmware? even when it says complete?
Old 07-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jspurgin
I cased out a small triple this last weekend and my RX8 literally broke in half. Not too cool.. Wasn't a hard hit at all. One of those freak things i guess
Almost everyone at my track runs a zip time around the speed control and under the battery tray to prevent this, regardless of brand of speed control.

Just make sure you don't crank down on it too hard, as i have seen people crack cases tightening the hell out of the zip tie. I also always use a really small zip tie so i can route it through the heat sink and not press down on the fan shrouds of the speed controls. Personally I just snug them down enough to hold the ESC securely and leave it be. Been running for 3 months now and have not had a case split on me yet.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

So I just got one of these. Upgraded from a Mamba Max Pro in my 8th scale buggy. The MMP was working fine, I just wanted an 8th scale ESC and I had the money. Then I find out the MMP was just getting me by.

The only things I changed on my setup so far was the ESC, and I was able to remove the external BEC. I can not believe how much more power I have. Same battery pack, same gearing and all. The delivery is so much smoother as well, I am just completely blown away. I mean I knew it would be different, I just didn't think it would be this drastic. Needless to say, I'm pretty glad I made the jump.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.