Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I would like to make myself clear and ensure that folks are not taking my post the wrong way. Tekin is an awesome company with an awesome product. I have followed tekin back since the late 80's early 90's. Back in the RC10/JRX2 days... And because of their name, I went with their 1/8th products. And like Castle, I was sure they will face some obstacles with their products for these high power, demanding 1/8th off-road vehicles. But at the same time, I am worried that my Warranty will be over soon and that if my tekin system do not get that optimal fix, I will be screwed by default. And because I was their faithful customer who went in blindly on their new system, I would like to ensure that they take care of me by ensuring I have an optimum system that will last me for a long time.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I hear you teeforb....I'm also a tekin fan which started with the R1 Pro and now the RS Pro. I got a used RX8 combo with a 2050 BL motor with upgraded rotor from a fellow racer here. It's holding up well. IMHO, your concerns are valid indeed. Let's all hope that they will support all of us if the uneventful finally happens....We will soon find out sooner or later....
Old 10-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

And we appreciate everyone that choose Tekin for whatever reason!

By no means do we sit and wait for your warranty to run out and then do the 'ol arm pump saying "Yes his warranty is out, we can charge their butt!"

I'm not saying that we will extend your warranty. But at some point a reasonable date must be set for the products use.

Brushless motors for instance were given this "zero maintenance" award but the truth of the matter is that statement couldn't be further from the truth. Yes they don't require a comm cut or new brushes but the bearings sill require service/replacement and dirts still gets in there! LOL

Bottom line like I said before: We identified the problem(s), made correction, moved forward.

Tekin will always do the right thing and take care of our customers.

Coming from the auto industry, that would be bloody hillarious to see your warranty get extended each time a part was replaced. Look at what the auto industry has already gotten themselves into now! I was/am a diehard Mopar guy and laughed at the "Lifetime Warranty" so much that I bought a truck! LOL !! My powertrain is warranted for life!? Does that mean if the company goes bankrupt I can get the government to cover it when they're gone!

Ok back on task...
Old 10-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Often times when you get a product repaired/replaced under warranty near the end of the warranty period (like a week before) the company will extend, or at least have a probationary period (usually 30 days) in which they would repair under warranty again, should another problem arise. Many places do this, and I'm sure Tekin would as well, even if they don't say so up front. Its the mark of a good company, that they will repair/replace something, as a warranty issue, that while on paper may be a little out of warranty. Now if its been out of the warranty period for a few months, thats another issue, but I have seen other products repaired for free several months past a warranty period due to a known defect. I can't speak for the Tekin guys, but from what I see here, and how much they help out, I'm confident that they will treat people fairly on these issues.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
By no means do we sit and wait for your warranty to run out and then do the 'ol arm pump saying "Yes his warranty is out, we can charge their butt!"
That was great.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Suspended

And we appreciate everyone that choose Tekin for whatever reason!

I'm not saying that we will extend your warranty. But at some point a reasonable date must be set for the products use.

Brushless motors for instance were given this "zero maintenance" award but the truth of the matter is that statement couldn't be further from the truth. Yes they don't require a comm cut or new brushes but the bearings sill require service/replacement and dirts still gets in there! LOL

Bottom line like I said before: We identified the problem(s), made correction, moved forward.

Tekin will always do the right thing and take care of our customers.

Coming from the auto industry, that would be bloody hillarious to see your warranty get extended each time a part was replaced. Look at what the auto industry has already gotten themselves into now! I was/am a diehard Mopar guy and laughed at the "Lifetime Warranty" so much that I bought a truck! LOL !! My powertrain is warranted for life!? Does that mean if the company goes bankrupt I can get the government to cover it when they're gone!

Ok back on task...
I just want to say that Tekin had been nothing but exceptional with the service they have provided for me. You guys have nothing to worry about when it comes to their products and Im glad I stuck with this speedo motor combo.. it is silky smooth and powerful.. better then the mamba.. I had a mamba that I sold b/c the tekin is that much better... Thank you to everyone at tekin.
p.s. when I finally made it thru a full race day with the tekin I came in fourth place at the North East Super Series A main.. and 10th overall

Steve Plackis
Old 10-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by plack75
I just want to say that Tekin had been nothing but exceptional with the service they have provided for me. You guys have nothing to worry about when it comes to their products and Im glad I stuck with this speedo motor combo.. it is silky smooth and powerful.. better then the mamba.. I had a mamba that I sold b/c the tekin is that much better... Thank you to everyone at tekin.
p.s. when I finally made it thru a full race day with the tekin I came in fourth place at the North East Super Series A main.. and 10th overall

Steve Plackis
I agree 100%

As far as the motors go, what is the best way to clean them and how often should I replace the bearings? What size are they?
Old 10-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
Help! Need a little help here...

So I just hooked up my RX8 system. It's a 2050kv motor in a 8ight buggy running TP 4s 5000's. Everything looks good and the system operates normally, except for a pretty serious cogging issue.

If I stomp the trigger, the car cogs initially, but then finds itself. I thought this was my only problem until I stopped and checked temps after 2 minutes in the parking lot to find my motor was 195 deg. (esc was 119.) I tried running without the sensor wire and it was much worse. Any ideas?

My next idea was to try my MMM with the Tekin motor... Hoping to race Sunday...
Alright, I'm reposting this as I'm back to square one again...

I sent my system back to Tekin this week so they could diagnose my problem. The results of the motor testing said it was fine. They couldn't find any problems... They gave me a new circuit in the ESC as they said it was a problem in the past and changed it to make sure. I had them rush the system back to me for this weekend and I'm having the exact same issue. Here are the tests I've performed:

Tried all my different packs...
Made sure wires were equal length and well connected...
Used shorter sensor wire Tekin sent me...
Checked drivetrain for binding, nice and free...
Decided to hook up my MMM ESC to the T8; equally bad cogging/heat...

If anyone else can think of another test to try LMK. I should mention that I'm running a Spektrum DX3R with SR3100 reciever, if that matters. I have also hooked the ESC up to the hotwire and tried different throttle curves ect...

The only thing left to try is another motor (which I don't have) or stomp this car into submission and try nitro!
Old 10-10-2009, 06:23 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I've read that Wye-wound motors spin differently (different kV and efficiency) depending on direction.
Is this the case for the 1550kV 4038 truggy motor? Is it 1550kV one direction, but something else in the opposite direction?
If so, how do I know what direction is the one that's rated at 1550kV?

Also, I've read Wye-winds also produce more torque than Delta-winds for equivalent designs (the Delta-wind being 1.73x kV higher than an equivalently designed Wye). So, is the 1550kV wye torquier than the 1350kV delta? I know the kVs are different and thus hard to compare. Just wondering what the difference in performance is between the two.
Both would be run on 6s. I'm wondering if there's a noticeable difference in performance (top end power) of the 1550kV vs. runtime of the 1350kV.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JSR
I've read that Wye-wound motors spin differently (different kV and efficiency) depending on direction.
Is this the case for the 1550kV 4038 truggy motor? Is it 1550kV one direction, but something else in the opposite direction?
If so, how do I know what direction is the one that's rated at 1550kV
The difference in the two directions is caused by physical timing. (turning the endbell which changes the sensor position) Wye winds have a larger difference between the 2 motor directions than delta winds due to being more sensitive to timing changes. The motor direction will not matter after the motor picks up speed and the ESC switches to sensorless mode (unless you have it set to sensored only) You can eliminate a majority of the speed/power difference by using 0 timing. But like I said, the ESC switches to sensorless mode as RPM rises past start up. The ESC is no longer reliant on the timing of the sensors, and uses internal timing settings to work.

As far as the rest, I'm not sure, maybe someone else can tell you that. And correct me if I have made any mistakes.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Tech Regular

Just waiting on the 1350KV truggy system.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I sent my system back to Tekin this week so they could diagnose my problem. The results of the motor testing said it was fine. They couldn't find any problems... They gave me a new circuit in the ESC as they said it was a problem in the past and changed it to make sure. I had them rush the system back to me for this weekend and I'm having the exact same issue. Here are the tests I've performed:

If anyone else can think of another test to try LMK. I should mention that I'm running a Spektrum DX3R with SR3100 reciever, if that matters. I have also hooked the ESC up to the hotwire and tried different throttle curves ect...

The only thing left to try is another motor (which I don't have) or stomp this car into submission and try nitro!
I'm tellin ya it's the motor, or the connection to the motor. The motor I had that had an internal short acted exactly the same. Try and get you hands on another motor. Borrow one from somebody something. It doesn't have to be a tekin motor. Just anything to test. It sounds like you've elminated most of the other usual culprates.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Team Tekin

Where is this car geared? Have you made sure your sensors are working by using the sensor checker feature on the RX8?
Old 10-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jhautz
I'm tellin ya it's the motor, or the connection to the motor. The motor I had that had an internal short acted exactly the same. Try and get you hands on another motor. Borrow one from somebody something. It doesn't have to be a tekin motor. Just anything to test. It sounds like you've elminated most of the other usual culprates.
I'm going to work on getting a different motor this week. I have a Neu that needs service currently, so I'm gonna get off my a$$ and send it in...

Where is this car geared? Have you made sure your sensors are working by using the sensor checker feature on the RX8?
Randy: it's a 1.0 Losi 8ight buggy with stock diffs. Gearing is 49/14. The sensor LED's all seem to be reading something. They all light up at different points. FYI I've tried running without the sensor wire and the cogging gets WAY worse. If you have a Hotwire profile I should try LMK.

BTW, give Chris in service some props for me for getting the system back to me on time. I paid for NDA, but he still tried to get me dialed...
Old 10-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Exclamation RX8 not responding.

Ok well I had an overheating problem at the last race since the fan wasn't working. Now I put a new fan on and the ESC receives signal but doesn't do anything. The fan does turn when I turn the ESC on. I have tried changing everything back the way it was from the begining but that hasn't helped.

I did look at the lights when it thermaled and they were all flashing. Please tell me I didn't fry this thing in its first race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.