Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If I can get all of this straightened out!!! I also bought a CC MMM 2200, so I am not sure if I will return and exchange my 1700 for a 1900 or 2050 or just use the Mamba. I'll be there with my nitro buggy for sure. (I'm the guy with the bad shoulder that was running around marshalling 1 handed if that helps)

As far as the clutch goes... I like the feel of the clutch a little I guess. I have absolutely no self control and when you nail it with direct drive, I find the car getting squirrlely where with the clutch it seems to "soften" the power so I am in more control. (Since I am not as fast as you, it helps!!) I think the Castle comes with a pinion, so I could try it I guess....
Old 12-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Snopro440
If I can get all of this straightened out!!! I also bought a CC MMM 2200, so I am not sure if I will return and exchange my 1700 for a 1900 or 2050 or just use the Mamba. I'll be there with my nitro buggy for sure. (I'm the guy with the bad shoulder that was running around marshalling 1 handed if that helps)

As far as the clutch goes... I like the feel of the clutch a little I guess. I have absolutely no self control and when you nail it with direct drive, I find the car getting squirrlely where with the clutch it seems to "soften" the power so I am in more control. (Since I am not as fast as you, it helps!!) I think the Castle comes with a pinion, so I could try it I guess....
you can set the throttle curve lower on the beginning of the band to counter your punch finger
Old 12-20-2009, 01:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Bummed!

So I have been racing 10th scale for a while, mainly short course. Typically place 1st or 2nd in all races entered. Only run my cars at my local track OC/RC in HB, CA. With the new expanded track, I got a Factory Team RC8B to take full advantage. Got the e-conversion kit, did a ton a research, and as a serious racer, went with Tekin ESC/Motor Combo 2050kv (vs. Castle/MMM). After a week getting it all together (purchased Tekin system from Amain for $329.99 on 12/14/09), I was finally was able to run her for the first time today!

First battery:It ran beautifully. So smooth. I was so stoked! The 2050 had more than enough pop to clear any and all jumps (even the big triple). Felt amazing!

Second battery: It ran great for about 5 minutes. Then all of the sudden, it stopped on the straight! I couldn't believe it! I read about issues, but assumed since mine was a new version (red heatsink), I dodged the bullet! Not the case unfortunately. Not even 2 cycles! And I was babying the car around the track.

Problem:
When giving throttle, simply emits a noise and motor twitches. When turned

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 12-20-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
So I have been racing 10th scale for a while, mainly short course. Typically place 1st or 2nd in all races entered. Only run my cars at my local track OC/RC in HB, CA. With the new expanded track, I got a Factory Team RC8B to take full advantage. Got the e-conversion kit, did a ton a research, and as a serious racer, went with Tekin ESC/Motor Combo 2050kv (vs. Castle/MMM). After a week getting it all together (purchased Tekin system from Amain for $329.99 on 12/14/09), I was finally was able to run her for the first time today!

First battery:It ran beautifully. So smooth. I was so stoked! The 2050 had more than enough pop to clear any and all jumps (even the big triple). Felt amazing!

Second battery: It ran great for about 5 minutes. Then all of the sudden, it stopped on the straight! I couldn't believe it! I read about issues, but assumed since mine was a new version (red heatsink), I dodged the bullet! Not the case unfortunately. Not even 2 cycles! And I was babying the car around the track.

Problem:
Try unpluging the sensor wire. I had an issue that acted simar once when I had a sensor wire go bad. It just stuttered until you were able to get the RPMs going fast enough for it to switch to sensorless mode. In you original post you said all of the sensor indicatior lights weren't coming on. If you completly unplug the sensor wire it should just run in sensorless mode. Then you at least have the issue narrowed down to the sensors.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

is there also any led's flashing,besides #4 and 1.and i would also check the sensor wire rotate the motor and make sure the last three flicker
Old 12-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

+1 to the other responces. when ever the motor make a screeching noise the 1st thing to check is motor connections. Sensor wire and motor wire connections.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Problem:
Thanks for the response guys. But someone altered my post. Do they edit posts here? It was much longer and provided more details.

Let me see if I can re-create the full post:

Problem:
When giving throttle simply emits a noise and the motor just twitches. Then turned on gives OKAY chime. But once on and in neutral (after OKAY chime, but having not done anything), LED #1 blinks and #6 is dimly lit. LEDs #4 and 5 do not work period (tried scrolling through settings and they are totally not working). When I push the car and roll-start the motor, it works, but then as soon as I take it back to neutral, it stops and won't start and just makes the noise and stutters lightly.

Troubleshooting:
Did 3 hard resets. Calibrated 3 times. Used Hotlink to confirm settings (voltage cutoff, etc.). Removed sensor wire and installed a new one. Had about 3 seasoned 8th-scales guys (including HPI and AE factory team drivers) look it over. No go.

At this point, I have uninstalled the system, disconnect it completely, cleaned it and put it back (with all wires, fan and hardware) in the original packaging along with copy of the receipt. I plan on calling Tekin on Monday to start the repair/replacement process.

I am pretty disappointed. It worked beautifully (so smooth and serious power!) until it just stopped. I am sure Tekin stands behind their products. And from what I read, they seem to have the best customer support. Maybe I just got a bad apple. Who knows. I will update you all on the outcome after I talk with Tekin. Let's hope for a speedy turnaround!!! Thanks guys!

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 12-20-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

That sounds odd for sure. Too bad it's already packed up.

I'm sure we'll take care of you. Give us a call tomorrow.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
That sounds odd for sure. Too bad it's already packed up.

I'm sure we'll take care of you. Give us a call tomorrow.
Thank you Randy! I can put if back together no problems if you think you know how to fix!
Old 12-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have a new in box 2050 motor that I would like to trade for a 1700.

Please let me know if you are interested.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Just put it back together. recalibrated acts the same. turned the motor slowly and LEDs 5, 6 & 7 show all sensors are okay. Trying to run system sensorless. What motor type # is for brushless sensorless? Or will the T8 not work as sensorless? Thanks.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Just put it back together. recalibrated acts the same. turned the motor slowly and LEDs 5, 6 & 7 show all sensors are okay. Trying to run system sensorless. What motor type # is for brushless sensorless? Or will the T8 not work as sensorless? Thanks.
Just tried motor type #7 and #1 again without sensor wire and it worked. However, seems LED #4 is still not working. #5 is working sometimes. And when I try and set VC, MT and NW, etc most LEDs are not working, so it's hard to tell what setting it's on. Just tried running again with sensor wire installed and it cogged on startup. But once it got going, it spooled up. Still delays on throttle really bad. Tried with new sensor wire and still acted same way. Seems it not the sensor wire or the motor sensors. Looks like something internally with ESC with sensored operation and NW. Anything to fix or is it a repair/replace job? Thank you.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Sounds exactly like a issue I had with a rs pro not to long ago. Brand new right out of the box something was wrong in the esc with the sensors. Worked fine without the sensor wires but as soon as I plugged in the sensor harness it stutered on the start up. I sent it in and they had a new one back to me right away. The whole thing took maybe a week total. I'm sure you will get taken care of quickly.

Btw... this isn't one of the "usual" issues. Sounds like you just got lucky. Lol.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by jhautz
Sounds exactly like a issue I had with a rs pro not to long ago. Brand new right out of the box something was wrong in the esc with the sensors. Worked fine without the sensor wires but as soon as I plugged in the sensor harness it stutered on the start up. I sent it in and they had a new one back to me right away. The whole thing took maybe a week total. I'm sure you will get taken care of quickly.

Btw... this isn't one of the "usual" issues. Sounds like you just got lucky. Lol.
Thanks man. Based on everyones reaction at the track, this is not common with the system. Most were shocked, as they heard about early-early issues with the motor, but not really anything with the ESC, especially the new ones with red-heat sinks. I agree, seems like I just got "lucky"! Too bad my luck at lotto isn't this good!
Old 12-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Just an update: already got a reply from my email to Tekin (from Randy). Seems they are on top of things there (heck, it's Sunday!). I'm very impressed. Seems what I read was right! Solid service. Seems I made right call going with Tekin. Since electric 8-scale is so new and all manufacturers are still working little bugs out, it's nice to know these guys are working hard to make things right. More as it develops...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.