Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Competitive 17.5 in a 2wd buggy?  Soon...very soon. >

Competitive 17.5 in a 2wd buggy? Soon...very soon.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Competitive 17.5 in a 2wd buggy? Soon...very soon.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
I know that you know...that...I know that you know. Cause I know that you know...
And I knew that you knew that what I know is what I know.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

So are any Losi guys getting one? I thought my Speed Passion 17.5 with a 78/30 was doing okay, but does anyone run higher than that?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jla8874
So are any Losi guys getting one? I thought my Speed Passion 17.5 with a 78/30 was doing okay, but does anyone run higher than that?
I have a Losi tester out there...and he actually works at Losi. But yeah...I'll have a Losi part out there very soon.

But yeah...we've been running 65/32 or 33 at our track. Moving that much mass forward makes a pretty big difference as well. We ran a 17.5 SP at OCRC last weekend with (I think) a 70/33 or 34 (fairly small track) and it was as fast as anything out there. Pretty much, the fast guys are brushed...and it was causing a little stir that a BL motor was reeling in the brushed guys. I guess that hasn't happened with a 17.5 before.

I'm heading out the door to get them broached ($$$ deal) as we speak. The tool to get it done is $500 apiece...and it takes one for each model. OTOH...when they're broached, they fit perfectly and they won't bang up the input shaft.

I was thinking about anodizing the AE/Losi parts in "clear" like the stock parts...and doing the Kyosho in blue. I need a way to tell them apart...LOL...does that sound OK, or is color even a big deal to anyone?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Will these work on a heavier 17.5 truck with out problems?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rando
Will these work on a heavier 17.5 truck with out problems?
They fit the same...and they're really thick, so I can't see it having any issues. There's probably 3-4 times the contact area with the shaft than the slipper setup.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

This is the real deal guy's, I have been testing the adapters for Joe for about three weeks now, this adapter works great with no modifications needed for this which is the best part.

If you put this adapter in your car with a 17.5 you will be happy with the performance.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Hey I'm Sold, Put me down for two. I'm sure you'll let us all know when youre ready.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

I'll probably have them back by the middle of next week...and they should be ready to ship out a few days after that.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

hey Joe

fits GREAT and inital testing went well will be at the track saturday earliest now.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

man neat Idea, but really not necesary. I already run a 69t 48p spur on my rb-5 and KEPT the slipper. and it took less than 10.00 in parts. the key is to use kimbrough spurs with all the holes in them, and use traxxas slipper pegs, and my spur gear rides on a bearing. The bearing was one I had laying around in my box for a B4. It fits the center of the spur and the input shaft on the RB-5 PERFECT. The slipper action is smooth and very tunable, so you still have some traction control for slick track conditions. I am sure that if you find the right size bearing the same could be done on a B4 , or losi buggy or truck.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I get your points(the maker of these) about being able to use smaller spurs and most people running their slippers completely locked down anyway in 17.5 in 13.5, but... and maybe its just me and maybe its just a mental thing, but even you were running your slipper tightened all the way down you kinda think in a worst case scenario that if the slipper had to slip that it still could a little bit. I think the being able to use smaller spurs part is great, I just dont know how comfortable I am about running no slipper at all?
I'm still probably going to try a couple out though. When you said you were thinking of anodizing the Losi ones clear, so you're saying they would be raw metal color? I think for the Losi ones the best look would be the color of the CR metal. Something in between titanium and copper if that makes sense?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Put me down for 2 of the AE versions.... PM me with paypal, please...
Old 07-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

"clear" isn't really clear. It's what the stock AE or Kyosho or Losi parts are. I think the Losi discs I have were left in longer, so they're darker. They may even be "hard", which is a little darker.

Honestly...it is really more a mental thing. The lower wind motors are really pretty mild...and the cars aren't THAT hooked up...and anyone wanting to wring some max power out of a 17.5 isn't a basher by any means. I'm no pro, and the people I've had test them on the Kyoshos aren't either (by any means ) and nobody has had a hint of a problem.

If anything, you'd probably blow a spur. The prototypes were made by hand and they aren't exactly perfect...so the lash is really loose on one side and nobody has even hurt a spur with loose lash. The production parts are all CNC machined and they're much nicer, so you can tighten up the lash more.

Originally Posted by jla8874
I get your points(the maker of these) about being able to use smaller spurs and most people running their slippers completely locked down anyway in 17.5 in 13.5, but... and maybe its just me and maybe its just a mental thing, but even you were running your slipper tightened all the way down you kinda think in a worst case scenario that if the slipper had to slip that it still could a little bit. I think the being able to use smaller spurs part is great, I just dont know how comfortable I am about running no slipper at all?
I'm still probably going to try a couple out though. When you said you were thinking of anodizing the Losi ones clear, so you're saying they would be raw metal color? I think for the Losi ones the best look would be the color of the CR metal. Something in between titanium and copper if that makes sense?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
man neat Idea, but really not necesary. I already run a 69t 48p spur on my rb-5 and KEPT the slipper. and it took less than 10.00 in parts. the key is to use kimbrough spurs with all the holes in them, and use traxxas slipper pegs, and my spur gear rides on a bearing. The bearing was one I had laying around in my box for a B4. It fits the center of the spur and the input shaft on the RB-5 PERFECT. The slipper action is smooth and very tunable, so you still have some traction control for slick track conditions. I am sure that if you find the right size bearing the same could be done on a B4 , or losi buggy or truck.
That sounds like a perfect topic for a new thread.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rocketron
hey Joe

fits GREAT and inital testing went well will be at the track saturday earliest now.
^^^^^my Losi "Beta tester"^^^^^

If anyone in SoCal wants to try one out this week...lemme know. I have one prototype of each (RB-5 or AE/Losi) here if you want meet up with me somewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.