Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree387Likes

JConcepts Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

If the track is watered between round,a slick tire is of no use.
When the track dries out....maybe.
You are smart to be concerned about tire choices:IT IS ALL ABOUT THE TIRES!!!!!
Just bring a few sets and see what works for your machine and ...Your driving style.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ddd228
If the track is watered between round,a slick tire is of no use.
When the track dries out....maybe.
You are smart to be concerned about tire choices:IT IS ALL ABOUT THE TIRES!!!!!
Just bring a few sets and see what works for your machine and ...Your driving style.
I have to disagree with that. I regularly drive at LRH in socal where the clay is very tacky and we water between rounds and it gets better for slicks not worst. As it gets drier we start running treads. It depends on the characteristics of the surface there isn't a rule that works for every track.
ddd228 likes this.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)

Yeah slicks seem to be the ticket at this track.

I was just wondering why not use a clay on a clay track, why use a super soft and when would it be best to use the mega soft.
I have read all of the stuff I can find as far as tire charts and what people have been talking about on here, but I don't understand why not use a mega soft. I see it is meant for the colder conditions and best for slippery wet conditions. This seems to fit as far as temp being between 50-60 so track temp would be colder than the room temperature
Do people not use black because the tire wears out quickly? Something along the lines of how a 1/8 super soft tire would on a hot summer day? You have crazy grip with it, but you'll burn through a set every heat...?
Also can I assume that the clay is a soft compound from how the charts are laid out? Green is softer than clay and mega soft softer yet?
I have also seen on this thread that a couple years back people were asking for an octagon in black because they were tired of grinding down tires and that the green compound took a while to break in compared to black.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I'd ask around with the other drivers about clay vs. SS at that track. It sounds like a track where clay would work, but someone would've discovered that by now. Mega Soft may just be too soft- casing deformation maybe? The guys at your track will know. For the mean time, I'd choose J-concepts' equivalent tread in the green/SS compound to emulate that Proline spec. The Octagons seem like a pretty solid choice.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ostach24
Yeah slicks seem to be the ticket at this track.

I was just wondering why not use a clay on a clay track, why use a super soft and when would it be best to use the mega soft.
I have read all of the stuff I can find as far as tire charts and what people have been talking about on here, but I don't understand why not use a mega soft. I see it is meant for the colder conditions and best for slippery wet conditions. This seems to fit as far as temp being between 50-60 so track temp would be colder than the room temperature
Do people not use black because the tire wears out quickly? Something along the lines of how a 1/8 super soft tire would on a hot summer day? You have crazy grip with it, but you'll burn through a set every heat...?
Also can I assume that the clay is a soft compound from how the charts are laid out? Green is softer than clay and mega soft softer yet?
I have also seen on this thread that a couple years back people were asking for an octagon in black because they were tired of grinding down tires and that the green compound took a while to break in compared to black.
Is this track TAP Raceway by any chance? If not I have run at a track that sounds very similar to your description and had awesome success with Black Octagon’s. Mount,scuff,grip and bag and usually can get to come in awesome on the first run. The downside is that my sauce is very aggressive and by the end of the day the tire has swelled enough that the air gap can start to make them inconsistent. There is a window after they come in. Some guys do use green compound also with good results. The downside to green is that it takes more runs for them to come in but once they do the window of usable life might be a little longer. Clays simply do not work on this clay track and some others in the Northeast. It’s a different clay composition on some of these tracks.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brian mills

Is this track TAP Raceway by any chance? If not I have run at a track that sounds very similar to your description and had awesome success with Black Octagon’s. Mount,scuff,grip and bag and usually can get to come in awesome on the first run. The downside is that my sauce is very aggressive and by the end of the day the tire has swelled enough that the air gap can start to make them inconsistent. There is a window after they come in. Some guys do use green compound also with good results. The downside to green is that it takes more runs for them to come in but once they do the window of usable life might be a little longer. Clays simply do not work on this clay track and some others in the Northeast. It’s a different clay composition on some of these tracks.
Sorry nope not tap Raceway. Thanks for the heads up about the tire pulling away from the foam. I’ll be giving the black a shot as well as the super softs. I’ll see what happens this weekend if I make it to the track.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

what would you guys recommend for an eTruggy in:

loose/loamy? (Triple Dees?)

slight dust but groves up?
Old 12-04-2018, 05:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Started using proline tires then tried dirt webs. Running on a indoor clay track that is medium bite from that I can tell. Started using Dirt webs gold compound front and rear on a B6.1 and B64. So far it has been great. I just read about using Ellipses for the reas so I will try those next keep webs on front of the 2wd and ellipses rear.

Any orther recommendations?
Old 12-04-2018, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smkd13
Started using proline tires then tried dirt webs. Running on a indoor clay track that is medium bite from that I can tell. Started using Dirt webs gold compound front and rear on a B6.1 and B64. So far it has been great. I just read about using Ellipses for the reas so I will try those next keep webs on front of the 2wd and ellipses rear.

Any orther recommendations?
This is exactly what I run and have had great success with them! I prefer them over the Dirt Web/Dirt Web combo
Old 12-18-2018, 11:38 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

got a chance to see your twin pins in action. Looked great on EOS carpet. Owner mentioned they had significantly better wear characterstics than the other popular tire, the schumacher cactus. Looks like they bite better into the carpet, less riding on the pins so to speak.

For these tires and that nessi one, which would you say is better for outdoor turf, assuming tires like the schumacher mini-dart work excellent on the surface.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:45 AM
PW
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cain
got a chance to see your twin pins in action. Looked great on EOS carpet. Owner mentioned they had significantly better wear characterstics than the other popular tire, the schumacher cactus. Looks like they bite better into the carpet, less riding on the pins so to speak.

For these tires and that nessi one, which would you say is better for outdoor turf, assuming tires like the schumacher mini-dart work excellent on the surface.
That's great to hear!

For outdoor turf/astro, I would recommend the Nessi as the pin separation should suit the turf better.
Cain likes this.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:01 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by PW
That's great to hear!

For outdoor turf/astro, I would recommend the Nessi as the pin separation should suit the turf better.
sounds good thanks! I'll pass that on to our LHS.

Any plans for these patterns to make it over to stadium truck as well as any 4wd front versions?
Old 12-18-2018, 12:04 PM
PW
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cain
sounds good thanks! I'll pass that on to our LHS.

Any plans for these patterns to make it over to stadium truck as well as any 4wd front versions?
Maybe in time, but nothing in the short term future.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:10 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by PW
Maybe in time, but nothing in the short term future.
thanks. When you guys use pindown 4wd fronts at all, about how many rows of pins do you trim?

The 4wd swagger fronts have a bit more push to them in comparison to what schumacher has, and its common I guess over the pond to use there mini dart front and rear trimmed for wheeler, so curious for the pindowns how much to trim and all if I go that route.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Any news on a TLR Eight X body ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.