Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1166Likes

Team Associated B7 and B7D

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 03:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by NickMG
Morning, I am sure I’ve seen this issue mentioned else where but now can’t find it. I got the b7 out drives for the ball diff so I could make up a ball diff from parts. As it happened I forgot the diff balls so had to cannibalise an old diff. All was well although it did loosen a bit in use. Today I started a fresh rebuild and have the issue of the lugs on the lock nut folding up. I assume this is because the out drives are bigger than the old ones. I overcome the issue by reusing the old b6.1 lock nut which was fine, it must be stronger as it’s a different plastic, white as opposed to yellow. The problem is as it’s old the plastic no longer holds the thread tight so during breaking in the diff it comes loose. I am currently seeing if threadlock will help for now but any ideas how to overcome the issue until we get b7 specific diff parts. Otherwise I might end up not being able to run a ball diff which is very much needed in the uk at the moment. Thanks

Did you move the spring over to the new outdrives?
Old 03-05-2024, 04:08 AM
Tech Addict

My base setup for sdrc.

18mm, +2 axle and diff height, kit springs kit pistons kit eyelets, 32.5wt front 30wt rear, 5° caster, +1 HT steering, center center C/D, shock positions front-2C, shock position rear-2A, rear camber link-1mm carbon plate on hub/1mm on ballstud on hub/3mm on tower(position 2).
Old 03-05-2024, 04:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MrLean
What do you think about the rear sway bar?

On the bench it doesn't seem to have much of an effect, it actually reminded me of how the B6.4 front one looked on the bench.
No issue with the rear bar, a 0.2 step change gave a similar handling change to what I would have expected changing 0.2 step on the B6. To be fair I haven't messed with it much other than going +/-0.2 to see how it reacts, the 1.2mm kit bar seems to be the sweet spot for the tracks I've been running on.

Originally Posted by NickMG
Morning, I am sure I’ve seen this issue mentioned else where but now can’t find it. I got the b7 out drives for the ball diff so I could make up a ball diff from parts. As it happened I forgot the diff balls so had to cannibalise an old diff. All was well although it did loosen a bit in use. Today I started a fresh rebuild and have the issue of the lugs on the lock nut folding up. I assume this is because the out drives are bigger than the old ones. I overcome the issue by reusing the old b6.1 lock nut which was fine, it must be stronger as it’s a different plastic, white as opposed to yellow. The problem is as it’s old the plastic no longer holds the thread tight so during breaking in the diff it comes loose. I am currently seeing if threadlock will help for now but any ideas how to overcome the issue until we get b7 specific diff parts. Otherwise I might end up not being able to run a ball diff which is very much needed in the uk at the moment. Thanks
This is interesting, I've not noticed any issues and I have 2 ball diffs running, one built from parts like yours and one from a B7D kit. Both felt exactly the same to build, ran in at the same rate and did the usual set it once and leave it alone for months reliability of setting.
The one built from parts has a non-caged thrust bearing along with being set medium-tight (1.25 revs on the 180deg flick test) and has done around 40 packs of running, the B7D kit diff is absolutely as kit including the caged thrust race some people have struggled with set loose (1.75 revs on the 180deg flick test) and that has done about 10 packs.

Running both cars again tomorrow, weather playing ball of course, so will feedback if I notice anything strange with them.

If you are really concerned pick up a set of B6 69mm driveshaft bones and use the B6 outdrives. I have tried this back-back with a B7 ball diff and from what I could tell there was 'maybe' a little more grip with the B7 diff than the B6 diff set to the same (on the highly scientific flick test) but it is hard to tell so I'd be happy running either setup on astro.

MrLean likes this.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BigBuckORamma
Lots of really good tuning and optimization learned at the Desert Classic.
The chassis likes symmetrical shocks. White/White, Grey/Grey, Blue/Blue, or only one step up in the front if the track gets edgy. Like, Blue/Grey. I ended up on Grey/Grey. (Also played with 1up Red/Gold, which is a Grey/Grey equivalent, but they seemed a little more reactive at the limit, and i didnt like that)

Shock Oils make a huge difference in the cars handling. Controlling the Yaw and Pitching Moment, thanks to the centralized weight of the car, really matters. I went as high as 37.5, and as low as 27.5. I ended up with 32.5F/27.5R

In that same vein, shock pistons played a crucial role as well. Slightly bigger does seem better. I ended up the weekend with 1.6/[email protected] Front, and 1.8/1.9/[email protected] Rear.

Soft brake settings help the car rotate tremendously. I didnt play with it much because i was testing too many other things, but i am seriously going to look into incorporating some drag brake for this layout because of the 180's.

And the biggest "A'Ha!" Moment for the B7 of the weekend...Anti-Squat! The car is completely changed in how it accelerates and generates rear grip with just a .5 degree C Block change. If you have an issue with the car not wanted to accelerate cleanly...add in some anti squat. It actually settles the car more than toe in does. And i will even be experimenting with less toe when i play with the drag brake.
I've cut your post down to just the bits I want to reply to.

I have found something similar with the springs, the whole car is so nicely balanced that I feel that will be a rule of thumb in as much as not going out of step by more than +/-1 grade. Grey/White seems like the perfect balance in low grip and yellow V2 / yellow V2 seems to be spot on in high grip. If I end up on Blue / Grey tomorrow on dry astro I won't be at all surprised, although I suspect something more like Yellow / Blue might be the end point.

Again I've found the same with oils, no longer are we having to slow one end of the car to help the other. On low grip I ended up on 32.5/27.5 using 2x1.8 +1x1.1 & 1x1.8/1x1.9 + 1.1 pistons. Even in the dry tomorrow I expect to only be going up 2.5wt all round based on what I've learned of the car so far. Can really let the shocks do their job of keeping the wheels in contact with the track surface and doing all the roll / pitch stiffness control with the geometry as it really should be, excellent :-)

I was talking to my friend who took the TQ at the meeting on Sunday who was running the B7 for the first time, I convinced him to turn his brakes down but add a bit of extra drag-brake at the end of practice. Wish I hadn't as before that I was faster LOL. Our best lap times both came when we had the brakes set so the car could flow more naturally through the corner (17.17 for him, 17.20 for me ... next best lap time was a 17.42 in that round).
It goes back to what I said before about driving the car smoothly and not beating on it giving the best result, glad you are finding the same thing on totally different surfaces.

Antisquat is very effective on this car, very. I ran pro-squat on the B6 on occassion and it kind of helped with weight transfer off the front in low grip but not hugely. Equally I would run more antisquat when I wanted rotation and/or popping jumps on higher grip but most of the time it was left at the stock 1deg as it wasn't a dramatic change.
On the B7 though it is a VERY noticeable change, as you have found 0.5 change makes a real difference.

If you haven't noticed I'm exceptionally happy with the way this car responds to adjustments and the fact there are no compromising band-aids needed :-)
MiCk B, mes and BigBuckORamma like this.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Roger, I found the problem with the diff. The brand new thrust race had destroyed itself while I was running it in on the bench. Fitted another and all is fine. I had begun to doubt myself before I found the answer. 🙂
RogerM likes this.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:58 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by b.j.a
Appreciate the clay setup advise! I’m running a very similar setup so glad to see I’m not on an island. My shock package is nearly identical but I have liked the red/gold combo but honestly haven’t played a ton with springs.

The comment around anti-squat has been interesting since I’ve spoken to a few people who don’t seem to like the added anti-squat. I’ve been running middle down in c/d and it’s felt solid and planted but can get a little squirly when accelerating hard out of a corner, so I might give it a shot.

This car is an absolute monster on mid/high speed corners. It carries speed so well, and is so stable while hitting bumps/jumps when cornering at speed too.
That is the same pill configuration i was running as well, based off of the Spencer Rivkin Setup. But i am convinced that worked on his setup, because he was running a Gear Diff at the time when he ran that at club racing at Hobby Action.

I am currently running .5 Down and In on the C, and 1 Down Middle on the D.

The slight tow in made a difference. And i ran back to back with .5 in middle, and it was better, but i would still lose traction and get loose on corner exit when the full power came in, when i switched to .5 in and down on the C, and that looseness was gone. Car was locked in on corner exit. It did have a little push. But it was "safer" that way, and i didnt have time to tinker further in Free Practice.

Next i will try .5 Down Mid in the C, and see how that compares to .5 Down and In. See if that allow the car to rotate a little easier and square up better in the 180's.
b.j.a likes this.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 4times
Does the optional carbon transmission case resolve the gearbox hole spacing issue?
It does not. They are shot in the same molds, which is where the problem is located.

I wish i had the time and the money to measure screw holes, and look inside the gearbox for witness marks on the molds, and be able to tell which witness marks apply to which mold, and find the transmission cases with the lease amount of slop in them. Because transmission fitment does seem to be more mold specific than just a result of plastic shrink rate, and handling during manufacturing.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:57 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by trf211
My base setup for sdrc.

18mm, +2 axle and diff height, kit springs kit pistons kit eyelets, 32.5wt front 30wt rear, 5° caster, +1 HT steering, center center C/D, shock positions front-2C, shock position rear-2A, rear camber link-1mm carbon plate on hub/1mm on ballstud on hub/3mm on tower(position 2).
Just to be clear I'll explain why I made some of these changes. The past month I started on the kit setup which was decent, in my opinion too soft on the front end and too stiff on the rear end. You can see this by people drilling the rear piston, I tried it(2x2.0, 2x1.9+1.2, 2x1.9+1.3, 2x1.9+1.4, 2x2.0+1.2) and the on throttle grip is way way better for sure but the pack starts becoming too low and low speed damping is too fast. This search for weight shift at low speeds is due to the leverage rate and shock speed of shock position B on the arm, it is just slightly too stiff spring rate and too fast of a shock shaft speed that pack kicks in too early. Shock position A on the arm doesn't require any modifications to the shock package(2x1.9h 30wt), low speed on throttle grip is phenominal and same with braking(instead of turning my throttle and brakes down when I built the buggy, I was now turning up punch and brakes). The rear is more likely to lift during braking on position B due to the stronger spring preload require to retain ride height, position A with its softer leverage rate and slower speed stays in contact with the track better.

Center center pills with the 1/1/3 camber link combination make the car feel 'in' the track vs ontop of it. You can drive it much harder at the limit on before it bites and wants to flip. The narrow pill setup feels tall and dumpy compared to center. Moving the upper shock location on the rear from 3 to 2 also settles the buggy into the track.

I'm an entire lap faster on that setup vs the box setup, I really recommend testing it out.
Tiggertrucks and Drbrake like this.
Old 03-05-2024, 11:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Guess I'll throw in my B7D experience from this weekend on its maiden voyage. I ran kit setup and found I only needed to move the battery forward maybe 4mm or so and the car was dialed. Granted, a few of the locals (Rainman's in Bakersfield) were changing the shock package to one similar to what BigBuck mentioned but I was trying to change as little as possible and concentrating on my driving since the car felt so good anyway. I'm very impressed, I brought my LD3 (w/B7 hubs) and box stock Mugen MSB1 along for the ride and after 1 pack I put my LD3 away (still need to fine tune w/the B7 hubs, probably would've been better with stock pieces) and the Mugen has potential but it was clear which one was closest to the mark. The B7 was easy to drive consistently quick, carried a lot of corner speed but would also rotate on a dime and power out of corners if I needed to. I was not a fan of the B6.4 but had high hopes for the B7 and it did not disappoint. Running 17.5 Reedy SP5, 31/72, hardwired fan w/duct, no issues with heat or lack of speed/punch. Not having a local track it may be a little while before another road trip to race again but I'm looking forward to tweaking the setup a bit and see how it responds.
RogerM and Drbrake like this.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Finally got my b7 on a track for some practice laps. I haven't had a car on a track in almost a year so I had some rust to get off. Car felt great with fuzz rears, swaggers front on industrial carpet. I need more time on it to get comfortable as I was with my 6.4. I'm happy with it. I'm not as serious of a racer as I've been in the past. Glad I've got a solid buggy to hit a few track days with.
RogerM and MrLean like this.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RogerM
I've cut your post down to just the bits I want to reply to.

I have found something similar with the springs, the whole car is so nicely balanced that I feel that will be a rule of thumb in as much as not going out of step by more than +/-1 grade. Grey/White seems like the perfect balance in low grip and yellow V2 / yellow V2 seems to be spot on in high grip.
So is it possible to use 12mm springs ob 13 mm shocks?
Or do u use 12mm shocks?
Old 03-06-2024, 01:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rettich
So is it possible to use 12mm springs ob 13 mm shocks?
Or do u use 12mm shocks?
Use the 12mm spring Shock Cups, and invert your adjustment ring, so the 12mm spring has a flush surface to sit against.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

On Dirt how do you guys like it
Old 03-06-2024, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fat500
It's been very good on clay for me. I haven't been this confident in a buggy for a long time.
RogerM likes this.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fat500
On wet clay this weekend the buggy was great, even the track was a bit slimy I never felt like i was lacking in traction. So much better than the B6.4!
RogerM likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.