Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree769Likes

Team Associated B6.4 and B6.4d

Hide Wikipost
Old 10-19-2023, 08:54 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated B6.4 and B6.4d
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: artwork
B6.3 / B6.3D and B6.4 / B6.4D Helpful Posts

B6.4 and B6.4D specific parts release list.
https://img2.associatedelectrics.com...Parts-List.pdf

Team Associated 1/10th Shock Length Quick Reference Chart
https://www.rctech.net/forum/showpos...&postcount=955

How to measure Shock Shafts
https://www.rctech.net/forum/showpos...&postcount=956

Reference Guides (courtesy of Ray Munday and Roger M.): What is the difference between 2 gears and 4 gears in the gear diff?
Please read these posts by Roger M. Maybe this has been answered but what are the little orings in diff do for tuning?
Please read these posts by Roger M.
Information on the rear axles and the different length dog bones from Roger M.

The 0 (option) and +2 (kit) axles are for using different length driveshafts with the different arm lengths

Kit +2 axles

73mm arms wih 67mm driveshafts
75mm arms with 69mm driveshafts

Option 0 axles

73mm arms with 65mm driveshafts
75mm arms with 67mm driveshafts

Why would you want to change the driveshaft length?
It is essentially to do with the fact that a drive joint will want to run straight under power and the position of that joint (the pin through the CVA joint into the axle).
The further that CVA joint pin is inboard of the lower hub hingepin (assuming you're running fairly typical outer link positions) the more bind you will generate in the suspension as the drive joint tried to straighten under power, this extra binding will 'stiffen' the suspension as it adds load on top of that from the weight transfer on the car.
Conversely the the nearer the CVA joint pin is to lower hub hinge pin the less bind and thus freer suspension movement.

When would you want to change this?

Basically on bumpy tracks, tracks with inconsistent grip or lower grip you want the suspension to be as free to move as possible so that you get the full benefit from the shock and roll centre tuning, also the car feels like it has more grip in the areas where you go on/off/on the gas.
To this end you will be running the longest possible dog bone you can for the arm length, hence why the +2 axles are in the kit.

On smooth super high grip tracks (EOS / CRC carpet for example) running a shorter dogbone will feel like it takes grip away from the rear as you get on power, aiding late corner rotation and reducing the on-power understeer that often plagues tight carpet tracks.
The only time I would run the 0 axles is with 67mm dogbones on 75mm arms and only then when I wish I could get let rear toe than the 1deg minimum we can get from the pills we have (actually I had custom pill made so I can get 0deg rear toe for those types of tracks but ...)

What are the handling differences between the 73 and 75mm arms.
Brief explanation from RogerM (thanks!)

The arm length effects the roll centre and more significantly the roll centre migration as the car rolls in the corners.

Shorter rear arms will encourage more tire loading so more grip as the car rolls, great for lower grip surfaces but on high grip surfaces they can stall the rotation mid corner costing corner speed. They can also make the car feel more reactive which is good when a low grip level makes the car feel less reactive so making it harder to place in technical sections.

Long rear arms the opposite, car will rotate more freely for more corner speed but won't generate as much side-bite so mid/late corner will be reduced. Make the car feel naturally lazier which is great on high grip surfaces as it makes the car easier to drive overall.

So the long Vs short rear arm is just like the flat Vs gullwing front arm, all about the grip level from the surface and how technical the track layout is.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 08:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Pistol123
Most people don't run a front wing but try it and see if you notice and difference/like it but not essential.

Re the diff, best to take it out and eork out if uts a ball diff or gear diff. You are correct it should spin the other way when you hold the spur gear. If it's a ball diff, new balls and a rebuild kit should have you sorted.

Good luck.
Thank you for the help! I'll definitely take a look at that. I was concerned that it wouldn't rotate by hand at all when I held the spur gear. Could that be slipper related? Like tightened down too much?
Old 03-07-2024, 06:01 PM
Tech Addict

Any one have any information on Schumacher springs? I have seen/heard some guys run them for carpet. I have a very light weight b6.4 and would like to try some different springs but don't know which ones to buy. For reference we currently run orange fronts and yellow rears. Want to try some slightly stiffer springs.
Old 03-08-2024, 01:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by BeefHead
Any one have any information on Schumacher springs? I have seen/heard some guys run them for carpet. I have a very light weight b6.4 and would like to try some different springs but don't know which ones to buy. For reference we currently run orange fronts and yellow rears. Want to try some slightly stiffer springs.
This is usually an option for the B7, where I run black CoreRC (Schumacher) HR springs on the rear.

What you need is:
  • the spring itself (CR811) - HR black spring (rate 2.6lb/in), that's the one people are using on the rear of the B7 a lot.
  • if you want to go stiffer all around you'll want the yellow front springs as well: (CR636)
  • the spring cup, the Schumacher springs taper at the bottom end (U4890)
flip the spring retainer on your shocks and voilà, everything works with the new springs as intended.

Hope this helps, sorry I can't link to these yet as I don't have the required postcount yet to include links.

BeefHead likes this.
Old 03-11-2024, 06:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the B7 caster and steering blocks on their B6.4? I tried it yesterday because I wanted the additional roll center adjustability available with the B7 blocks. While the parts fit directly without changing the arms, I did get sway bar bind on the compression stroke of the suspension. When I drove it on the track, the car was noticeably easier to drive so I want to stick with it, but I need to deal with the sway bar bind issue. Any thoughts? TIA!
Old 03-12-2024, 02:36 AM
Tech Addict

If I recall people are using the B6.1-3 caster/steering blocks, this is to improve steering response? Can't remember.

I'm getting my B6.4D together for wet astro so thought stay on the kit 6.4 items?
Old 03-12-2024, 05:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mikeyscott
If I recall people are using the B6.1-3 caster/steering blocks, this is to improve steering response? Can't remember.

I'm getting my B6.4D together for wet astro so thought stay on the kit 6.4 items?
For wet astro you will want the B6.1 castor blocks and steering knuckles, the car needs all the help it can get with turn in on the floppy Schumacher silvers
MiCk B and mikeyscott like this.
Old 03-12-2024, 05:25 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RogerM
For wet astro you will want the B6.1 castor blocks and steering knuckles, the car needs all the help it can get with turn in on the floppy Schumacher silvers
Thank you, car already has them fitted, so will leave it as is

Been wondering what the fusion tyres will be like on astro too, not purchased any yet.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Odd question, but has anyone mounted T6 sideguards to their B6.4? I want to run a more traditional body (think rear cab like old school) but the one I've found is wider in the back. I've tried side guards from my T6.4 but they're too long; wondering if the a different T6 sideguard would fit?
Old 03-21-2024, 04:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Feijai
Odd question, but has anyone mounted T6 sideguards to their B6.4? I want to run a more traditional body (think rear cab like old school) but the one I've found is wider in the back. I've tried side guards from my T6.4 but they're too long; wondering if the a different T6 sideguard would fit?
The chassis are different lengths. I don't think they will line up.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

What spares would you guys get for a B6.4 for carpet?

My kid broke the ball mount for the roll bar this past weekend, with the upgraded carbon arms. I still have the original plastic arms so I'll put them in for now, hopefully it's not the start of a trend breaking the bar mounts on the arms. He also somehow bent a front titanium tie rod..
Old 03-26-2024, 12:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Feijai
What spares would you guys get for a B6.4 for carpet?

My kid broke the ball mount for the roll bar this past weekend, with the upgraded carbon arms. I still have the original plastic arms so I'll put them in for now, hopefully it's not the start of a trend breaking the bar mounts on the arms. He also somehow bent a front titanium tie rod..
Front arms, hinge pins and bulkhead tend to be what I’ve needed to replace. Carbon arms are tougher, but tend to bend hinge pins in a way they get jammed in the aluminum bulkhead. For reference, I have 3x B6.4s setup for stock 17.5 that my son and his friends use about once a week in the summer at an outdoor turf track. Everything else has been fairly durable. I’d also grab shock x-rings and diff seals to have on hand for rebuilds.
Feijai likes this.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by shortcut3d
Front arms, hinge pins and bulkhead tend to be what I’ve needed to replace. Carbon arms are tougher, but tend to bend hinge pins in a way they get jammed in the aluminum bulkhead. For reference, I have 3x B6.4s setup for stock 17.5 that my son and his friends use about once a week in the summer at an outdoor turf track. Everything else has been fairly durable. I’d also grab shock x-rings and diff seals to have on hand for rebuilds.
Thanks much. Ya, I went to pull the arm off and the hinge pin is bent coming out of the bulkhead (both sides). A-Main doesn't list just the inner front hinge pins (have to buy the entire set) but McMaster-Carr does have them. I'll put an order in for a few arms to have them around as spares (and also for my T6.4) plus some shock and dif seals.
Old 04-08-2024, 02:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi all,

I'm looking to convert my old B6.4 to a wet astroturf car so i want to add a standup gearbox, but cant seem to find a list somewhere with the parts to do so.
Is it the b6.2/3 gearbox and internals?
Old 04-08-2024, 02:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cupra1
Hi all,

I'm looking to convert my old B6.4 to a wet astroturf car so i want to add a standup gearbox, but cant seem to find a list somewhere with the parts to do so.
Having just converted my dry b6.4 to a wet car I would consider using the layback gearbox rather than the standup. I have actually put on the b6.1 narrow c and d block (c is brass) and put a new pair of b6.1 wishbones on (you need the shorter 87mm driveshafts) and it drives really well, so we'll in fact I am still using the laydown trans with the layback trans in standby if I need it but so far it's been amazing.

Good luck.
Old 04-08-2024, 04:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cupra1
Hi all,

Most parts were discontinued a couple of years ago. Where in the world are you? If in the UK I have an as new setup I'd be willing to part with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.