Does Fuel Choice Matter in 1/8 Buggy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Fuel Choice Matter in 1/8 Buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

i run OD and it smells fine. sure if you sniff too much your eyes and nose will start to sting but thats the same with all fuels.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

...but thats the same with all fuels.
no, no it's not.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crim3Wav3
ODONNELS FUEL MAKES YOU WANT TO THROW UP UPON SNIFFING THIS NOXIOUS STUFF!!
I agree. But as for fuel choice I would go with O'donnels or Byron's. Never had a problem with either. In fact, the other day my V-Spec was running 150-160 all day and could pull wheelies.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Good luck getting a lot of use out of it.

Two stroke motors are meant to run hot (up to a certain point), and that just won't do it. The sleeve won't properly expand and because of this you'll prematurely wear your conrod.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Tech Addict

Savage speaks the truth. If its not running a least 200-210 with stock head you are killing it quick. Mine never see anything below 230 and most of the time I am in the 255 to 270 range when raced tuned.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Savage speaks the truth. If its not running a least 200-210 with stock head you are killing it quick. Mine never see anything below 230 and most of the time I am in the 255 to 270 range when raced tuned.
then tell me something...
i have a Picco .27 7 port engine that i have in my truggy. i broke it in during the late winter, so 35-50 degrees farenhiet where i am. i couldn't get the head temp above 210f when breaking it in, even if i wrapped it. i have been running it lately in the warm weather (70f) and it is screaming at 140-160f. i am running an OS #8 plug, which is a relatively hot plug. will my engine prematurely wear since it isn't getting hot enough? or is it just happy running at the current temps? should i change my plug to get it hotter?
Old 04-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crim3Wav3
seriously...try standing there while someone is warming up an engine with Odonnels and tell me the smell doesnt make you wanna go dunk your face in a big pile of freshly squeezed shit....

... ...WTF.... ...its that bad?!?!?!?!?! WOW!

sure its not that pipe your smoking in your avatar..
Old 04-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

interesting that you ask....lol

but yes...it is THAT bad. Nothing like holding a buggy at the start of a main and EVERYONE is using Odonells....five people passed out that day...
Old 04-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

...it is THAT bad. Nothing like holding a buggy at the start of a main and EVERYONE is using Odonells....five people passed out that day...
man, you beat me to it!!! i used to pit for my friend, and holding his car at the line before the start with his Odonnel burning along with a few others will absolutely choke me!! not to mention burn your eyes like you said. it certainly can't be good for your lungs either....wow, it burns just to think about it. probably does more damage than cigarette smoking!

but let's get back to the real question...
you will be happy with just about any fuel you can find. heck, i even used to burn airplane fuel when i got really desperate! i generally use a fuel with more oil content to extend the life of my engines.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ive been doing a lot of testing and research on fuels.

Ill say Fuel choice is definently a big deal. I can also explain a few of things you might notice with your fuel.

Odonnels fuel, lots of people use it. Yup , thats why I tried it and lhs carried it. First thing I noticed , your eyes sting like no other , second your fuel lines will instantly get stained. Not only that , stickers , bodies , white rims...you name it , anything pretty is now piss yellow. The fuel also goes bad quickly in the heat. Also when a fuel stinks , this is not normal this is due to low quality fuel / oil and in that low quality stuff is extra unwanted ingredients. Even my girl said , odonnels stinks. Most quality fuel should smell sweet.

Trinity Monster BREW, I see a lot of you not being too impressed. I wouldnt doubt it , with 16% oil being lugged into your motor I wouldnt be impressed. What you should be impressed with though is how much longer your motor will last with it and the pure fuel that it is , youll find no gumming and nasties. Trinity fuel is all made by wildcat. Same with HPI Fuel.

Then this is sometimes confused with monster horsepower. This is 12% oil fuel. 12% is the normal reccomendation for most racers / bashers. This gives enough power and lubrication.

Trinity Platinum Blend, this stuff is meant for the state race kinda person. Want every last bit. Its a simple rule of thumb , less oil goes faster , burns up the motor quicker. Again made by wildcat , but ive heard lots of great reviews on this stuff. Same fuel as monster just different blend of oil. I would say this 8% oil fuel is about as low as you want to go to maintain the motor during hard runs and getting every last drop.

Then in comes HPI Fuel 12% oil content. Good stuff just like trinity monster horsepower...made by wildcat and has the exact same features of eliminator just 2% less oil.

Wildcat Eliminator basically the same , but with 14% oil content fuel. All good stuff. They use some of the highest quality ingredients in the industry.

Wildcat fuels / Trinity fuels is also rated #1 by rc car action. So it seems to be well liked.

White lightning is made by dynamite who makes blue thunder. I dont think its the best quality ingredients but some like it. White lightning is the low-oil content version.

Byrons , I think these guys are also great. Use very high quality ingredients. The bottles are engineered to actually prevent moisture from getting to the fuel so its theoretically not going to go bad as fast.

Then sidewinder , AKA morgan fuels. The final good fuel maker on the list. They also use high quality ingredients. Have some snazzy additives and overall produce some great fuels.

Maxys I hear its pretty good stuff havent tried it. But it is smaller fuel maker.

Rocket Science Fuel I forget who makes it , but its seems to be popular in certain areas. Iam going to be testing some soon so Ill wait till then.

Otherwise if your looking for performance from your fuels , look for lower oil contents.

Besides from that. With the fuel testing ive done , you can find more power even in same oil blends. Easier tuning , anti-foaming and broader needle settings , powerbands and smoother power. As well as cleaner motors , cooler temperatures and longer lasting performance and reliability.

You definently want to make a good choice.

If you stick with the top 3. Wildcat , byrons of Sidewinder I think youll be good. Im doing a test soon on like 7 fuels so Ill be sure to have more concrete info. But so far through research and testing on my own. These fuels run much better. I even tried some local brew stuff and when I went back to wildcat it was night and day.

Small brewers may know what there doing , but they just simply dont have the resources available to get themselves high quality ingredients.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

what about Orion? thats some awesome fuel. IMO OD is a great fuel.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
I switched from ODonnell to Maxy's after trying it at a race with some pressure from locals. It made my engine wake up a bit and dropped my temps a few degrees. I have been running it ever since and now I represent them at the races!

...Jim

I had the same experiance as Jim. I was running another top brand, did a trial test at a track one day , and noticed immediately the temperature dropped about 5 to 10 degrees . I still had as much or more power as the other fuel. That impressed me. I have now been racing for Maxy for two years.

If you are concerned about long term I sent my 421 B in for a check up the other day at RB Mods and it was at the 5 gallon mark on Maxy's 30 percent .

Brandon
Old 04-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mafiaracers
just remember, once you choose a fuel, stick with that one!! don't go changing from brand to brand everytime you runout...engines don't like that!
myth run anything u want, just dont mix them together
Old 04-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Where do you guys get Maxy's?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

I'm surprized I haven't heard mention of TQ Fuels. Independent maker, burns clean and leaves a nice oil coat on everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.