Search

Does Fuel Choice Matter in 1/8 Buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbrow1
Where do you guys get Maxy's?
Give him a shout . They will let you know of your local dealer.

Toll-free:

1-888-RUN-MAXY
1-888-786-6299
Old 04-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Tech Addict

Artificial-I...........Amen!!
Old 04-04-2006, 05:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A lhs (2 hours away) told me that Orion is made by the same people that make Sidewinder, just without the red dye. Since he runs for Orion, I would have to believe him.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

white lighting is made by Morgan Fuels, not Dynamite,
Old 04-04-2006, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

what about Traxxas? i'm sure that's made by someone else. i switched to it since Odonnel made my engines run too hot for my comfort and, like mentioned earlier, it coats everything with a nasty, oily film.

so far i am liking the Traxxas, even if it is made for small blocks. i run it in my 1/8 buggy and truggy, and it keeps the temps miraculously low and at a stable level (the temp that is). no problems with the tune, but it does leave some oil on your body and rear wheel, but not nearly as bad as the Odonnel does. it has that "right" nitro smell, no stench or anything.

while we're on the topic, i am against nitro scents! i believe that nitro has its own unique smell that should be enjoyed by all, not masked.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Tech Addict

I come from a town that is steeped in full-size circle-track racing, and a close friend of mine races a modified that burns methanol, the main ingredient in model fuel. These guys run pure methanol, and when they start up the smell that fills the area needs to be bottled into a perfume for men.
Its beautiful balance of sweet and pungent with the slightest nasal burn... Uhh, it's wonderful.
Funny thing is... one of the primary bi-products of methanol combustion is formaldehyde. Yup! That stuff that used to ooze out of your dissected frog in seventh grade science class. That is the primary smell given off by model fuel, combined with the smells of burned nitro, caster and synth. oils.

The founder of Rocket Science fuel claims that he had the same problems I had with finding a good, reliable model fuel that met his quality standards, and that is why he created Rocket Science. Supposedly they developed a new castor oil specifically for their fuels that burns cleanly and leaves little residue. They also claim to have helped develop a new synthetic oil that provides the desired lubricity under high pinch pressures, i.e. piston to sleeve.
Thought I might try it. Local fast guy says he runs it with at least 10 to 20 degree reduction in running temp over O'donnell, and easily as powerful if not more so.

Last edited by Banshee8530; 04-04-2006 at 02:29 PM. Reason: major typos
Old 04-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i tell you what, after flying helis for a bit you really get to know the differences between different fuel's some good, some poor.

any of you guys in the states run vp nitro with klotz sythentic?
Old 05-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
I apologize if this has been discussed before, but how can you tell when fuel goes bad? I've got a bottle each of O'Donnell and Mugen (Byron) that I haven't used in almost a year and have been stored off the ground in a plastic Rubbermaid container. Fired up my buggy the other day with the Mugen fuel and it ran great....smooth idle, low temps. Given this, can I assume the fuel's good?
Old 05-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

If it run's good then it is good. Bad fuel will run poorly.

I run Byron's fuel and I am happy with it. I will try Werks because of the great things people say about it. I have seen the rust problems that O'Donnells causes but to be fair, if you follow a good after run regimine you should have no problems.

After running Byron's I burned off the excess fuel at the end of my last run last year (October) and put the car away. I pulled it out yesterday and without so much as changing the plug the engine ran great.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Yeah... I think the next gallon I buy will be Byron's. What others mentioned as far as rust inside the motor and yellow staining I also experienced with O'Donnell, which I've used pretty much exclusively since I started running gas.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Less experienced people should keep in mind to watch the oil content when trying different fuel brands. The differences can be substantial(ex. Trinity Monster Horsepower 12%oil / Rocket Science 8%oil) The margin for error in tuning can significantly decrease with the so called "race" fuels.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Davidka
If it run's good then it is good. Bad fuel will run poorly.

I run Byron's fuel and I am happy with it. I will try Werks because of the great things people say about it. I have seen the rust problems that O'Donnells causes but to be fair, if you follow a good after run regimine you should have no problems.

After running Byron's I burned off the excess fuel at the end of my last run last year (October) and put the car away. I pulled it out yesterday and without so much as changing the plug the engine ran great.

Good choice! The Werks fuel is great! A bit hard to find at times, but excellent fuel. Easy tuning, stable temperature- All positives, IMO.

Werks fuel is available through TKO Competition Development:

TKO Competition Developent

Old 05-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Tech Addict

i tried sidewinder in the early days on nitro...(last year) and it seemed to run a bit hotter than i liked...was it running lean...maybe...but i switched to rocket science and i loved that fuel...LHS ran out and i found myself running Trinity race blend...i really love this fuel and it has a real crisp feel to it and it runs really cool...215-220...but i am thinking about to dropping to 25 or maybe 20 rocket science just to shave some power off the top...the local track used to be a zig-zag drag race...we have thechnical and big jumps and i think i am overpowering the track...but i really like the trinity fuel...and rocket science is good too...they both make lots of power...
Old 05-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 20% or 30%

Hey Guys,
I am fairly new to the nitro world. I own a Jammin CRT with a 3 port top nova rossi. I just am finishing up my first gallon of fuel, blue thunder 20%, and I thought if I wanted to switch now is the time.
I see all the great info on brands, but my question is the pros and cons of 20% and 30%.
I know that 30% will give me more horsepower, but are there draw backs in the long haul?
I see that most or all pros run 30%, but do they really have to worry about making an engine last?

Any info will help
Thanks and God Bless
Bryan
Old 05-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The only real drawback to 30% is that you burn more of it at a time. More nitro makes more power because it carries more oxygen with it. The upside is that if you are passing more fuel through the engine it runs cooler, and allows a lower oil percentage (more fuel at the same oil content = too much oil). Aside of lower run time per tank 30% is better in every way. You may want to run a colder plug but I hear Nova's like medium plugs too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.