Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Carcar

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.81 average.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Default Great night of racing!

lol, reading Ivan's post just reminds me of all the behind the scenes work, and politics, that goes into making things tick.

Let's all try to help Ivan out, the HSC are the owners, let's keep things running smoothly.

I'll have to admit, I didn't realize they wanted the air compressor room door closed, not something I'd been checking when I closed up. Will do so from now on.

Great racing! Lol, Ivan and I in the Stock A Main, we were like 2 guys holding the doors for each other saying "no, after you", as the entire marathon raced by!

Here's the mains.

Jeff, catch me on a practice night, I'm happy to have a look and see if I can figure out the problem.

One other thing to mention, the Superstock heat sizes. Lot's of comments that 9 was too many. Just realize that it's never black and white. Last week we had 9, and it was fine. This week, a little more (lots) of contact on the track. The trade-off is that if we split it up into 5 and 4, if someone breaks you're down to 4 or 3 in that heat, and the race director gets a whole different kind of complaining.

This track layout is tight, and challenging. Personally, I thank Jim as it's forced me to focus on my throttle control. But it makes for some tight racing, close passing, and generally more contact.

Just pointing out that there's pro's and con's to each choice. Last week 9 was fine, this week, maybe not, but there's no way for the race director to know.

Josh
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 11-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Rest of the results.
Attached Files
Old 11-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Josh

the biggest problem I had with the SS heat was that I had to marshall it !

It was really hard to get to a car that was stuck against a board without getting in the way of another car on track.

that track I would say should have a max of 8 car heats
just IMHO though.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher
3. Marshalling. Someone discussed it with me so I’m discussing it with you guys. This member would appreciate that wherever an accident happens or where your car flips over etc., put the car back at the exact same spot the accident occur. Not over the other side (farther progress) to help that car out cause this isn’t fair. This member makes a valid point so everyone do your best to marshal fairly.
Guilty. I do that quite a lot, if anybody feels disadvantaged sorry about that. Now let me explain. I had one instance where I marshalled Josh, he was upside down and I had to cross two lanes of traffic to get to him. It took ages so I dropped him the other side of the boards. This is a no no. I'll try and remember. It's a Karz thing, I guess with racing this close we can't do this stuff.
The rest of my marshalling for the night was done at the chicane and I was marshalling the superstock 9 car heat. There is only one line through that part of the track and to simply correct stricken cars and put them directly on that racing line in front of oncoming traffic, well that just doesn't make sense to me. I hate to see innocent victims of someone else's crash. Thoughts??

Had a great night of racing. Fabulous mini main - wish I was in it Amazing touring stock main, great win Erwin And the super stock guys, well that just looks hard work. For an idea of the quality of the racing, look at the names of the guys in the B Main of stock
Old 11-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Me too, but rarely, it depends on the situation. I've noticed in a couple of races lately, that a racer "shortcourses" over the boards by quite a bit, and then waits for the other cars to catch up, but in essence doesn't lose any time. If he'd been corner marshalled, as he really should have been, he would have lost time.
If a racer is stuck for a while, as Kevin mentions, especially if it was another racers fault, perhaps marshall's discretion should be allowed, as long as it's not abused.
But if it's a hard and fast rule, so be it.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chongo
I've never had this many problems with my TC. After 3 race nights, I still can't finish qualifiers or a mains.
To this I add, last night was the first time I felt the pressure of the speed of the evening.
I seemed to be always rushing and never having anything ready.
Mini main, prime example as I forgot to put a body pin on the battery holder.
Stripped 3 spurs in TC and still don't no why...................

Time to see if the motor mount got damaged my first week out after that grenaded wreck.
Hey Jeff,

Sorry to hear about your tough time last night.

So part of my role at Carcar is to LISTEN to issues members bring up, UNDERSTAND what the issue are, DISCUSS the issues, and attempt to RESOLVE the issues with the ultimate goal of providing a great experience at CARCAR and making it the best RC Club it can be!

Other than the mechanical issues at hand, I think you might be saying that you felt a bit rushed last night. If I’m incorrect about this, ignore my post but this might be helpful to others. I followed the heat times last night so lets look at the numbers. There 2 heats of Mini, 4 of Touring stock and 1 of Superstock. At 6 minutes per heat and 3 minute breaks between each heat, a perfect round would be 60 minutes. We were off by a few minutes here and there. If you were in 2 heats in a row (say the 2nd heat of mini and the 3rd heat of Touring Stock) you would be racing 12 minutes and marshalling 6 so that’s about 20 minutes that you’re not at your pit(race marshal race). If you’re racing 2 heats with a gap, that’s just under 30 minutes that you’re not at your pit table (race marshal race marshal). So basically you have either 30 to 40 minutes to work on your cars, chit chat, etc. Just stating the facts and that’s at the absolute crunch time. You get more if there are mercy minutes and such.

I also understand everyone has a life outside RC (work, relationships, etc.) but CARCAR also affords you practice nights (Tuesday and Wednesday from around 5pm to 9pm FREE for members) and we also open at around 5pm on Friday race nights and we don’t race till around 6:30pm so that’s at least 1 ½ hours to work on your cars. Some members chose to race only one class so that gives them even more time. Their choice.

In your specific case, do you have any suggestions that could make your night or anyone elses for that matter feel less stressed for time on race night? Again, just trying to UNDERSTAND, DISCUSS, and attempt to RESOLVE any issues that don’t give you the best RC experience at CARCAR.

Originally Posted by IronRing Racing

Great racing! Lol, Ivan and I in the Stock A Main, we were like 2 guys holding the doors for each other saying "no, after you", as the entire marathon raced by!

Josh
Yes Mr. Carter and thanks for posting the results. I think we almost had a lap lead on the field until our battle ensued at the 4-minute mark. No big deal not winning cause it’s the close racing that was awesome even though I could just see the whole field drove by me (twice) while I was waiting on you to get marshaled. Oh well. Great battle in Superstock too! Now that was some door banging action without any casualties!

Yes Jim, I really like the track layout too! There’s 2 different skill sets to practice so you’ll have to come up with another one like this next month!

One other thing to mention, the Superstock heat sizes. Lot's of comments that 9 was too many. Just realize that it's never black and white. Last week we had 9, and it was fine. This week, a little more (lots) of contact on the track. The trade-off is that if we split it up into 5 and 4, if someone breaks you're down to 4 or 3 in that heat, and the race director gets a whole different kind of complaining.

This track layout is tight, and challenging. Personally, I thank Jim as it's forced me to focus on my throttle control. But it makes for some tight racing, close passing, and generally more contact.

Just pointing out that there's pro's and con's to each choice. Last week 9 was fine, this week, maybe not, but there's no way for the race director to know.

Josh
Originally Posted by stulec52
Josh

the biggest problem I had with the SS heat was that I had to marshall it !

It was really hard to get to a car that was stuck against a board without getting in the way of another car on track.

that track I would say should have a max of 8 car heats
just IMHO though.
Originally Posted by notsocrazybrit
Guilty. I do that quite a lot, if anybody feels disadvantaged sorry about that. Now let me explain. I had one instance where I marshalled Josh, he was upside down and I had to cross two lanes of traffic to get to him. It took ages so I dropped him the other side of the boards. This is a no no. I'll try and remember. It's a Karz thing, I guess with racing this close we can't do this stuff.
The rest of my marshalling for the night was done at the chicane and I was marshalling the superstock 9 car heat. There is only one line through that part of the track and to simply correct stricken cars and put them directly on that racing line in front of oncoming traffic, well that just doesn't make sense to me. I hate to see innocent victims of someone else's crash. Thoughts??
Originally Posted by c-lyon
Me too, but rarely, it depends on the situation. I've noticed in a couple of races lately, that a racer "shortcourses" over the boards by quite a bit, and then waits for the other cars to catch up, but in essence doesn't lose any time. If he'd been corner marshalled, as he really should have been, he would have lost time.
If a racer is stuck for a while, as Kevin mentions, especially if it was another racers fault, perhaps marshall's discretion should be allowed, as long as it's not abused.
But if it's a hard and fast rule, so be it.
Again it’s never black and white. The heats were setup that way and we don’t know what’s gonna happen until racing the heat. After the first round with the carnage, I mentioned to Mario that maybe we should split the heats into 2 for the sake of saving some cars! However, he made a great point that if we were to do so, that would make it a 5/4 split. So one heat will have 4 racers. That goes against our original club rule of not running less than 4 cars in a heat. There’s also the case that if we have an extra heat therefore the night goes on for an extra 9 minutes per round (6 minute race and 3 minute space) so that’s another 36 minutes into the night (if 3 rounds and 1 quali).

I think that after a month or so of club racing, I think we can safely say that if we have 5 or 6 heats, we can make the 9:30pm cutoff for another round. If we have 7 or more heats, then it’s safe to say we won’t make the 9:30 pm cutoff so for the sake of less carnage I would add the heat even if it’s gonna be 5/4 split. Again, this is what my common sense says but since we didn’t vote on it, someone gonna complain and guess who gets to hear it! But then again when I stick to club rules I still hear it! It's a losing battle but since I don't take anything personally that's okay.

The marshalling ‘discussion’ is not directed at anyone cause I’m just relaying what was asked of me to do. I would probably do what most would do and marshal the way I want to be marshalled. But no matter how fast you get marshalled, time still feels like it's standing still!!! Not gonna say who asked me to mention this marshalling thing unless he wants to discuss what marshalling is deemed “fair” and what isn’t.

Without discussion, our club would never improve….so continue!

Ivan
Old 11-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

I think we've almost all done it at one time or another. Especially when a case of Marshall Guilt come in, and you feel bad about how long it took you to get to the turtle because of either waiting for traffic, or just got caught off guard or wasn't paying attention.

But that's all part of it, and at the heart of it, I've always tried to remind myself on the stand that "If I hadn't crashed, I wouldn't have needed a marshal". So remember who put your car in that position.

No, I don't mean Jim.

Or Bernie.

I mean me!

I mean it's the driver (99% of the time).

So as a rule, yeah, we should marshal the car in the spot we found it.

Josh

PS: I forgot to mention I the "People's Ride" car review I did on the Cooper S Countryman came out in yesterday's Calgary Herald. Here's the link:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/cars/Ma...078/story.html

And I finally got some time to grab some photo's of the Tri this summer, shamelessly attached! I promise no more shirtless Josh for a while!
Attached Thumbnails Carcar-w51545.jpg   Carcar-banff-triathlon-bike-11-12-2011.jpg   Carcar-banff-triathlon-finish-11-12-2011.jpg  
Old 11-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up One thought

Great comments guys.

I know for me being new the club the two most intimidating things are worrying about "hacking" somebody while driving, and trying to marshall. Now that I've marshalled a few times I'm starting to get it. There is no perfect marshall, and I totally agree with Josh. I know for myself when I wipe out I use it as a moment to catch my breath, reset my head, then go again. No worries about the marshall at all.

The biggest suprise to me when marshalling was how fast the cars come up on you. Especially stock and super stock. Wow, you gotta move.

Perhaps at the beginning of the year or even every time we switch track layouts we should have a quick "track meeting" to orient everyone on areas to watch out for, marshalling locations etc. Almost like walking the track in real life. Just a quick orientation and a chance to ask questions. Not going to solve human error but maybe everyone could get on the same page.

As far as heat sizes, I like the large heats, great action, and I figure I need to develop the skill of coming through traffic if I'm ever going to win one of these things.

A BIG thank-you to Ivan and the exec for putting up with all of us, and to Mario for keeping things moving along.

One other small comment. When the re-sort happens, give the first heat a few minutes to start as we don't know who is in what heat until the last second. I know I've been caught out a couple of times.

Again, thanks guys, starting to have a ton of fun with this
Dean.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

And I finally got some time to grab some photo's of the Tri this summer, shamelessly attached! I promise no more shirtless Josh for a while!
Hey Josh,
Just checked out your results on race headquarters, in the triathlon after the swim and bike you ran 58:53 for the 10k run phase. At Melissa's 10k race you ran 1:23:49....ahem...horrible What did you do, stop for a burger on the way round??? As a former runner the sight of guys wearing lycra shorts, no shirt and headphones is just about enough to make the stomach turn

Hope trainings going well for next season
Old 11-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quick off topic segment.

Awesome! I wish I could swim. I won the big sky state games in cycling 2005 (my age group and overall), and managed a 65minute 40k TT in Bozeman the last time I raced it (6500 feet, I train at 2200). LOVE to talk about cycling!

For a while, I was training between 275-350 miles a week. Mostly, I'm happy with 20-25 mile training rides a few times a week if things are hectic. and they were this year.

Best time for a solo century, 5:20 my wife thought I was gonna die. I lost 9 pounds that day, was to hot for something like that, did it anyway.

I took up running 2 years ago. I think I'm getting to old. I can do it on a tread mill where this is some "give". Pounding it out on asphalt kills me. Best 5k 23 minutes, Not bad for 47 though. I'm just not as good at running as cycling.

Here's a shot of the "Diesel engine", they put out 265-275 watts all day long I've got a Trek Madone with nearly 7800 miles on it. My older 5500 OCLV had over 11,000 on it. TT bike, not so many miles. Doesn't take as long as people think if you're pounding out 20-40 miles a day. You wanna chat cycling and training, or the tour, I'm in!
Attached Thumbnails Carcar-2005-8-14_statett_leg1.jpg  

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 11-12-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Pete thanks for the help with my car, it drove much better afterwards.

I think the time between heats is just fine, keeps things on track and moving. Some clubs loose time between runs/heats and it can really make for a long night.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

No.....I won't be showing any pictures of myself!!!

Originally Posted by Topfuel99
Great comments guys.

I know for me being new the club the two most intimidating things are worrying about "hacking" somebody while driving, and trying to marshall. Now that I've marshalled a few times I'm starting to get it. There is no perfect marshall, and I totally agree with Josh. I know for myself when I wipe out I use it as a moment to catch my breath, reset my head, then go again. No worries about the marshall at all.

The biggest suprise to me when marshalling was how fast the cars come up on you. Especially stock and super stock. Wow, you gotta move.

Perhaps at the beginning of the year or even every time we switch track layouts we should have a quick "track meeting" to orient everyone on areas to watch out for, marshalling locations etc. Almost like walking the track in real life. Just a quick orientation and a chance to ask questions. Not going to solve human error but maybe everyone could get on the same page.

As far as heat sizes, I like the large heats, great action, and I figure I need to develop the skill of coming through traffic if I'm ever going to win one of these things.

A BIG thank-you to Ivan and the exec for putting up with all of us, and to Mario for keeping things moving along.

One other small comment. When the re-sort happens, give the first heat a few minutes to start as we don't know who is in what heat until the last second. I know I've been caught out a couple of times.

Again, thanks guys, starting to have a ton of fun with this
Dean.
Thanks for your comments Dean and coming from a new driver at our club that is great!

Actually I have watched you drive and marshal and I think you’re doing a great job at both!

Hacking: You don’t need to worry about it if you already have the sense to question it. The biggest problem for beginners when they see a car coming is accidentally focusing on the car that’s coming up on you and then accidentally veering your car towards the other car. It happens to everyone. Best advice is to do your best to drive your line and the faster driver should be able to get around you. However, I find that for the intermediate driver, the next biggest problem is to try to allow a fancy pass by making a “foot” of room and expect the faster driver to get by clean. I recommend not doing this and just talk it up with the faster driver on the drivers stand and tell him you’ll let him by the next corner and give him TONNES of room. If an accident occurs, it’s gonna slow both of you down.

As for marshalling, I think just live by “marshal the way you want to be marshaled” is good enough. Look both ways, anticipate cars that might be coming and just do your best. I look like a crazy fool out there when I marshal but I get the job done!

Finally, in regards to giving a few minutes in between rounds we usually give about a 5 minute space between each round. Just be aware that our heat order structure is Mini, foam tire classes, TC and superstock TC so when the heats are posted, figure out where you’re gonna be for the round and it should be the same for the second round. For the third round there is a resort so after the complete class is done (say Mini), figure out where you’re gonna be in the 4th round or Mains and you should be able to calculate the approximate time your runs are.

Come talk to me sometime and I can show you my system that makes things totally easy that’s totally stress free and you’ll be prepared to run right away when you heat is up.

Originally Posted by jasons9
Pete thanks for the help with my car, it drove much better afterwards.

I think the time between heats is just fine, keeps things on track and moving. Some clubs loose time between runs/heats and it can really make for a long night.
Thanks for the comments too Jason. Another new member at Carcar happy!

Ivan
Old 11-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Me thinks Carter and Stormer gotta lay off the roids!
Old 11-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ivan the problem for me was round 2 to round 3.
I was race 2 & 6 first 2 rounds then resort I was 1 & 3.

Nothing can be done, but when your trying to fix your car you fall behind in this type of scenario. In fact I had 6 minutes to fix my TC. (Race 8).
I should've probably sat out round 3 mini, but I didn't.

We were told heat/mains sheets were being posted go view them and at the same time race 1 get out your up.
If we can't have 5 minutes round 3 and mains to see the sheets then how do any of us know which race/s were in.

Jeff, catch me on a practice night, I'm happy to have a look and see if I can figure out the problem.

Josh
Thanks.
I got it apart on the desk, motor mount seems okay will look at the spur pulley and center shaft next.
Other than that the only thing I can think of is the motor screws loosening and the motor moving. on me.

Last edited by chongo; 11-12-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chongo
Ivan the problem for me was round 2 to round 3.
I was race 2 & 6 first 2 rounds then resort I was 1 & 3.

Nothing can be done, but when your trying to fix your car you fall behind in this type of scenario. In fact I had 6 minutes to fix my TC. (Race 8).
I should've probably sat out round 3 mini, but I didn't.

We were told heat/mains sheets were being posted go view them and at the same time race 1 get out your up.
If we can't have 5 minutes round 3 and mains to see the sheets then how do any of us know which race/s were in.

Thanks.
I got it apart on the desk, motor mount seems okay will look at the spur pulley and center shaft next.
Other than that the only thing I can think of is the motor screws loosening and the motor moving. on me.
Short answer:

You bring up a valid point from Round 2 to Round 3 (and to Mains) when we do a resort. Will make an effort whoever is running the computer to be aware to leave at least 5 minutes on the timer between rounds from the moment the heats are posted on the glass by the hallway.

Longer answer:

You’re right nothing can be done when you have breakage and you’re squeezed for time so really the only option is to skip a race (if you’re okay with that) and try to fix your car to run the ‘more’ important class to you.

OR

Here’s your other option if I was in your situation. So basically in the 2nd round you are running in the second heat of mini (race #2 ) and the last heat of Touring Stock (race #6) knowing full well what your results were after the 1st Round, which would have told you that you would be qualified in the 3rd round to race #1 for mini and race #3 for TC if nothing changed at this point. So after your 2nd round Mini race, since you were in race #2, you should have automatically figured out that you would eventually be in race #1 of the 3rd Round. If you didn't, the results sheets are all posted by the computer table. Therefore you would basically have at least 50 minutes before your next Mini race. Batteries start charging after your race and pack should be charged in another 20 minutes, put battery back into mini, sauce tires, put body on and you’re car is sitting ready to go ½ hour later. That’s what I would do pending nothing is broken.

As for your TC, same logic dictates if you didn’t improve in your 2nd Round, you would be in race #3 of the 3rd round which you ended up qualifying anyways due to breakage in your 2nd Round TC heat #6 (one exception is if you get bumped lower). Knowing now you would be in Race #1 and Race #3 of the 3rd Round I would have asked 2 people for a favour to marshal Race #7 of the 2nd Round and Race #2 of the 3rd round so you can get your car ready for your TC heat #3 of the 3rd Round with of course your Mini already prepped for your 3rd Round Race #1 at a moments notice. With 2 races with volunteer marshals and a gap between rounds and some other extra time, that is at least 20 minutes of repair time if all the stars aligned for you. You can almost build a car (a mini anyways) in that time. Sounds a lot more complicated than what I wrote and if that’s not what interests you, ignore what I just wrote.

As for the motor screws loosening from the motor mount someone told me once to use small washers/shims. Keeps the motor in place!

Ivan

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.81 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.