Search
Like Tree28Likes

Sydney Model Autosports Inc [smaracing.org]

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NickM
I would respectfully suggest that by saying 'we must run to AARCMCC rules, no debate' means you are not for progression.

Nobody to my knowledge has ever checked a motor at SMA, ever, which makes the whole issue a little academic. However, checking a BL is as simple as touching a multimeter to the two outside motor wires - at least as easy as a brushed. Also, even if you check the winding tag on a brushed, are you going to pull the motor out to see if there's a bearing instead of a bushing at the pinion end??

I think BL will, in fact, make for a fairer and more level playing field.
I never said that we 'must' run to AARCMCC rules. For a club meet they are to be used as a guideline and strictly adhered to for sanctioned events eg club challenge.
At the moment, 99.9% of stock racers have brushed stock motors. About 10% might have BL stock motors. BL stock are only a a new thing and will no doubt become AARCMCC legal, but for the first point score which starts this weekend, i recommend that BL stock motors not be included in the points.

Hey, i love sitting in my garage at midnight, with a beer and cutting comms on the lathe and soldering new brushes.

I am all for progression as well, progression into nitro.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Ideas Man
The Tuesday Night before Sunday racing will be a Point Score round.

As this is the first Tuesday racing for the year, it will be a relaxed night of racing so the Guys can set up the cars for the first point score round.

The Drift Drivers are more than welcome to attend next week, so spread the word . . .

Don't forget, the earlier we set up the track, the more racing you will have on the night.

Cheers,

IDM

Publicity officer
So there's definitely racing tmr night - just not pointscore?
Old 01-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andrew Barr
Hey, i love sitting in my garage at midnight, with a beer and cutting comms on the lathe and soldering new brushes.

Wait until your at the pointy end of nitro and you can sit in your garage at midnight setting up clutches and rebuilding carbies
Old 01-28-2007, 06:38 PM
Tech Adept

I never said that we 'must' run to AARCMCC rules. For a club meet they are to be used as a guideline and strictly adhered to for sanctioned events eg club challenge.

Andrew, challenge cup is not a sactioned event, the scationed events are state titles and the national event.
TJ your are welcome to correct me if am in the wrong.
cheers Antonio.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by veecee
So there's definitely racing tmr night - just not pointscore?
Veecee, there is racing this sunday as per IDM's post. So this tuesday night is before the sunday meet, meaning that it is piont score. Next tuesday night is non point score.

cheers, Antonio.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Speaking of nitro...

Hi all, I've just finished building a HPI R40 and I'm keen to come down and check out the club on Sunday (haven't broken in the engine so won't be running). I've never raced nitro before but was wondering what the deal with it is... e.g

- are there different classes for novices?
- how long are the heats/finals?
- do you need a pit man?

I was also wondering how the heck the nitro guys cut their bodies... according to the AARCMCC rules, in addition to my body post and antenna holes I'm allowed cut out my rear window, my front side windows, an air hole in the windscreen, a refuelling hole, and a glow plug hole... coming from electric (10 years ago haha) that seems like an awful lot of holes - does everyone take body chopping to this level?

thanks
Old 01-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

challenge cup follows AARCMCC rules .. refer to the challenge cup thread.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TJ
So lipo in your mind is cheaper. Thats good but is it cheaper when you loose the car and everything around it when it blows up through bad charging or damage on the track.
Thats funny considering the bloke that won TCS, and a trip to japan managed this without lipo's. And mitzsubishi have made,trailed 1/1 scale cars with lipo's, limited numbers for release 2008, full production models 2010. So I'm guesing speedy wars it shell be.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Popeye
Thats funny considering the bloke that won TCS, and a trip to japan managed this without lipo's. And mitzsubishi have made,trailed 1/1 scale cars with lipo's, limited numbers for release 2008, full production models 2010. So I'm guesing speedy wars it shell be.
Mitsubishi are testing a vehicle using Lithium Ion batteries (not Lipo) which are slightly more stable. Lithium Polymer have been known to explode in RC aircraft & Heli's when they hit the deck hard. RC cars get abused alot more than RC air craft.
As mentioned previously, there is very little battery protection in Mini's.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Mitsubishi are testing a vehicle using Lithium Ion batteries (not Lipo) which are slightly more stable. Lithium Polymer have been known to explode in RC aircraft & Heli's when they hit the deck hard. RC cars get abused alot more than RC air craft.
As mentioned previously, there is very little battery protection in Mini's.
I have never heard or seen a LiPo battery explode on impact. Myself and 1000's of other people fly aircraft with LiPo's in them and not once did any of them explode on impact. I've been flying helicopter with LiPo batteries in them for 4 years and never heard of them exploding on impact. Even charging you have to be really trying to get them to explode. If you charge them wrong they usually just puff up and die. I've had friends that tried to blow a LiPo up and they couldn't make it explode like some videos you see. You need a really powerful charger and over charge them on a NiMh setting to get them to explode. BTW, Li-Ion batteries are a lot easier to have them explode. I've had one that was brand new and it was a faulty cell. It expolded while charging and shot off like a rocket. Because of the hard alloy casing you have a greater chance of it blowing up then a LiPo cell.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick
Old 01-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

My dad flies at Heathcote and some of the guys there have seen them go up.

The picture is of a Lipo battery on

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t235109p1/

If it was in a hard casing, the pressure build up could cause it to go up.
Attached Thumbnails Sydney Model Autosports Inc [smaracing.org]-bltlipo.jpg  

Last edited by Andrew Barr; 01-28-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

if u do a search on google or utube u will find plenty of vids of lipos disintergrating.although most of em r deliberate.ive seen sma members with lipos crashing flipping etc,not once i witnessed a car on fire
Old 01-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

- are there different classes for novices?
- how long are the heats/finals?
- do you need a pit man?
I was also wondering how the heck the nitro guys cut their bodies...

astra power
Your most welcome to come down this Sunday
There is not a dedicated class for nitro novice but you will be placed in a heat with the less experenced drivers
The heats are five minuets (3 heats and a final)
A pit man is handy but not necessary there will be plenty of help if you dont have one
Cutting holes in the body is necessary for cooling ,if you need help come and see me in the morning and i can help(Im under the green tent thing)

See you all sunday and remember this is the first round of the championship and one week to challenge cup

el presidente
Old 01-28-2007, 11:25 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Z-Mann
if u do a search on google or utube u will find plenty of vids of lipos disintergrating.although most of em r deliberate.ive seen sma members with lipos crashing flipping etc,not once i witnessed a car on fire
Yes something like this:

http://explodinglaptop.com/batteries.php
Old 01-28-2007, 11:57 PM
H I
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

There are no AARCMCC rules for Mini, so we use Castle Hill's rules (TCS rules but slightly tweaked).
Castle hill rule?? I don’t know about that mate. I was at Castle hill last Friday night and someone was using illegal hop-ups on his mini. Try guess who was the mystery man. His name starts with T
For the battery on minis, I've seen some stick pack snaped in 3 piaces on hard hit. So I'm not sure I want to use Lipo on my mini. But few people has started to use them in other place so I like to see there feed back before I see them at SMA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.