Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HOBART EP OFF ROAD RACING

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The spring set for my Bandit finally showed up today, so between them and the fresh set of tyres (softer than before also) I'm hoping it'll be handling heaps better.

Also my Justock ESC came today, which was a surprise since it was only sent fron Hong Kong 8 days ago. Now I'll have to go and buy some bullet plugs to get my 17.5t going for the weekend. The annoying thing is I've ordered 5 sets of plugs from HobbyKing that I'm waiting for, but I've already gone out and bought one set locally to get my Strike going and now I'm about to go and buy more. I'll most likely have a few spare sets going cheap next week if anyone is after some. I bet if I buy a set today my stuff from HobbyKing will show up tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

spent a few hours at the track today. track looked pretty good when I arrived, gave it a good sweep then left it for half an hour or so while i fiddled with my steering trim. then me and pete had a bash for an hour or two and its pretty much right now. couple of damp spots but nothing to worry about. just before i left richard and ash showed up and were having a bash which will help too.

so long as the rain holds off we should be set!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default xxx bk2 buggy for sale

FOR SALE a xxx bk2 buggy 2wd .its just gathering dust. the car is a roller with no electrics and comes with some spare wheel and tyres. has all the normal signs of wear and tear but all works fine and is in great condition. will have at the race tomorrow..
pics can be seen in my post in the for sale trade forum
Old 08-13-2011, 01:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Did anyone get out to the track today?
How is it looking, going to be a cracker tomorrow if the rain holds off tonight.

Also if anyone is looking for a 4x4 buggy, I could be tempted into selling my Durango.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:48 AM
ajj
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Clay Pad

Ok people. It's looking like we'll be having a slightly smaller 37x20m clay pad to build a track on. So if you'd like to have a go coming up with a track layout go for it, the minimum lane width is 3m, and the straight has to be mimimum 20m.

Here's one I knocked up using Google Sketchup, you can download the program for free if you want to use it.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BennyBagems
Did anyone get out to the track today?
How is it looking, going to be a cracker tomorrow if the rain holds off tonight.

Also if anyone is looking for a 4x4 buggy, I could be tempted into selling my Durango.
there were a few over there today. track is nice and dry but its still tricky to drive on due to all the bumps and surface changes, as some parts are dry and dusty, others really sticky where all the fine gravel has been swept off the top, and then there is the infield.

as long as the rain holds out tonight there wont be a problem, didnt have to touch it with a broom today.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I've gone through the pics and removed most of the duds and there is still a copious amount of them, I was expecting more duds.

Will be uploaded soon.

As for track layouts, I had a go at a couple...

EDIT:
A couple of jumps, table top and whoops sections.

And a panorama of the track as it is.

Last edited by Shimmy; 08-14-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

was a good day of racing today, Bens dex410 was alot more planted than I thought it would be on the bumpy track, I should have my b44 ready to go for the next meet, I think I need to get a ball diff rebuild kit for the sc10, its slipping and making some funny noises
Old 08-14-2011, 03:53 AM
ajj
Tech Fanatic

Love the panorama of the track Brendan! Fingers crossed my 4WD buggy will be running next meet also

Made some changes to the website:
              Old 08-14-2011, 03:53 AM
              Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Yeah, brilliant day and good weather... well, good enough.

That DEX410 was simply divine.

Got the pics uploaded, but there were a few that didn't want to go up, will have to try and sort that out.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1127157...eat=directlink
              Old 08-14-2011, 07:48 PM
              Tech Adept

Yeah was definately a great days racing and soem awesome pics you have taken.
              Is it race day yet??
              Old 08-15-2011, 03:04 AM
              ajj
              Tech Fanatic

So who will be running 4wd buggy next week? Hoping we can have enough to run a seperate class from 2wd buggy. The cars I know of are:
              Alex - TD DEX410R
              Ben - TD DEX410
              Mark - Schumacher CAT SX2
              Ashley - AE B44
              Rob - AE B44
              Phil - AE B44
              Allan - Tamiya DB05
              George - Tamiya ?

That's a would be a good field!
              Old 08-15-2011, 04:33 AM
              Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

if my servo turns up before then I'm in for sure
              Old 08-16-2011, 06:31 PM
              ajj
              Tech Fanatic

Default Race Report for August 14th

The club again grew a little larger this week with 18 entries across 2WD SCT, 4WD SCT and 2WD Buggy / Misc. The track was nice and dry, thanks to all those who went out through the week to sweep it off. It was also great to see everyone willing to get up and marshal at a moment’s notice, even if they weren’t obliged to, which I can tell you doesn’t happen at every club. Wins went to Phil Riebel (doing the double with both SCT wins) and Alex John (2WD Buggy /Misc.). I look forward to introducing the 4WD buggy class in the coming weeks as the numbers continue to grow.

The new track shouldn’t be too far away. The order for the clay has been made which should arrive within the fortnight and I’ve been in contact with Bruce of Onroad Offroad who is going to construct the pad for free. If work begins on the track before next fortnight then we may have to look at missing next week’s meet or perhaps setting up a grass track. You can find the results here or read on for the full report:

2WD Short Course Truck
              The 2WD SCT class was possibly the most competitive it’s been yet, with 8 trucks taking to the grid. I’ve heard of around 4 new trucks on their way so look for an influx in this class soon. This week though and it was Ben Hoare who took TQ, debuting his new Low CG Slash chassis which also co-insides with Traxxas’s first A-Main appearance at a ROAR National Event in 20 years! Phil Riebel was close behind and actually on TQ time in final qualifier, posting a consistency of 0.44 for the heat, but ultimately missed out by 0.8 seconds. Ashley Courtney was again right up there in third place with a loud SC10, Rodney Keenan was right up there to secure fourth for the final. Justin King, Steven Arnold (welcome Steven) and George Kennedy had their own battle pack, qualifying in that order. Stephen Lepir had diff trouble I believe and had to sit out the qualifiers to get his truck ready for the final.

It was Hoare who got the perfect start to the final, cutting quick and consistent laps straight away. But six minutes in and the slash spat out a driveshaft costing Hoare more time in the pits than he was able to make up. This gave the lead to Riebel who didn’t look back taking the win from Courtney, Lepir and Keenan. Hoare recovered to fifth with Kennedy coming home in sixth with his new Blitz ESE.

Results:
              1st Phil Riebel 23 10m10.080s
              2nd Ashley Courtney 22 10m23.184s
              3rd Stephen Lepir 21 10m14.321s
              4th Rodney Keenan 20 9m57.911s
              5th Ben Hoare 20 10m20.813s
              6th George Kennedy 17 9m46.742s
              7th Justin King 0 0m 0.000s DNF
              8th Steven Arnold, 0 0m 0.000s DNS

4WD Short Course Truck
              Riebel took all 3 heat wins with his dialled and ever reliable Slash, with Rob Sims a new inclusion in this class with a Slash and Mark Davis marred by mechanical difficulties in every heat, just about anything that could fall off the “Offna” did! The final again saw trucks failing, with Sims the first to fall his truck thermalling at the 5 minute mark. Davis and Riebel continued on, trading places until the Ofna gave up at the 7 minute mark. Again with a thermalled esc hot enough to cook an egg on! This left Riebel to cruse home and take yet another win in this class.

Results:

1st Phil Riebel 24 10m18.261s
              2nd Mark Davis 17 7m 7.065s
              3rd Rob Sims 10 5m 7.568s

2WD Buggy / Miscellaneous
              The class featured a great mix of vehicles, with our first taste of newest generation of 4WD buggy in the form of a fluoro orange Team Durango DEX410. Hoare looked set to take the win for the day but feel short of battery power with an over geared car. This allowed Alex John to take the win two laps clear of Jason Krause. Richard Davie and first timer Allan Hall battled it out in the mid pack with Davie coming out on top to take an impressive third place from Hall, with Brendan Hall rounding out the finishers. I’m not sure what happened to Paul Chipman, but with a new RB5 on the way look out for him in the following weeks.

Results:

1st Alex John 24 10m 9.154s
              2nd Jason Krause 22 10m 6.094s
              3rd Richard Davie 21 10m23.567s
              4th Allan Hall 20 10m11.273s
              5th Brendan Cooper 20 10m29.372s
              6th Ben Hoare 19 7m37.394s
              7th Paul Chipman 0m 0.000s DNS

Last edited by ajj; 08-16-2011 at 09:08 PM.
              Old 08-16-2011, 08:23 PM
              Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Good report Alex, but I think you pasted in the results from the first qualifier for 2wd Buggy/Misc instead of the main.

A grass track would be interesting. Another option could be the on road track, but tyres would be a problem for some.

I took the XXX BK2 I bought from Steve to the track yesterday for some laps and the thing really goes great. I weighed my old Bandit/Rustler before swapping out the electrics and the XXX is about 500 grams lighter. That and the better design make it feel quite a bit faster. I can really throw it into the corners and not worry about understeer like my old one. I haven't timed any laps yet, but I think it should be competetive.

I had to take the fan off my Hobbywing Justock ESC since it wouldn't fit under the body, but after testing for 15-20 mins it only just got warm. I geared it up for a fair bit of top end (since I was sick of losing ground on the fast sections last race), but the motor doesn't get too hot so I think it should be good.

I need to order more tyres before I drive it much more since the ones I have won't last long. I'm thinking of getting another set of Pro Line Bow Ties like it came with, since they stick really well. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.